I'll volunteer for the UK market :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ed Damiano, speaking this weekend, stated the single hormone version should be available in 2020, with the dual hormone version coming up in 2022.

What I'd add is that it's all very well testing with Fiasp, but that would mean a fair proportion of people would be unable to use it due to issues they've had with Fiasp.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting, I thought glucogon was difficult to store! where do i sign...........?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Interesting, I thought glucogon was difficult to store! where do i sign...........?
Just use sugar water instead.....I am sure it'll work the same lol :hilarious::hilarious:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds great and everything, but there's been talk of artificial pancreas clinical trials for years and they're still not on the market. Sounds very similar to the rolling "ten years until a cure" line that's talked about. Lot's of promise, but nothing delivered.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds great and everything, but there's been talk of artificial pancreas clinical trials for years and they're still not on the market. Sounds very similar to the rolling "ten years until a cure" line that's talked about. Lot's of promise, but nothing delivered.

CGM is making this sort of thing possible. Measuring will always have been the hard bit to close the loop, and it's only recently that it's becoming cheap and good enough. People are doing this albeit without the glucagon side now by themselves.

(Though Fiasp isn't that fast and magic, they'll still need to bolus if they're not IV...)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

When I was diagnosed in 1989, I was told that with ongoing research, a cure would be found hopefully a few years................ still nothing 29 years on ( but of course new advanced technology is always ongoing and helping us to manage our condition ) but I do try to be optimistic................ :rolleyes:

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was meant to have been trialled in 2018 and released in 2019, so still a bit behind. Think the first plans were for Damiano to release it for when his son went to college, I think he is post university level now, so behind that anyway.

If it does work it will be a huge step forward and would be the main reason I change from MDI's to a pump of any sort.

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It sounds hopeful! The only fly in the ointment might be the CCG’s reluctance to find provision.

Reactions: Muneeb

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds hopeful! The only fly in the ointment might be the CCG’s reluctance to find provision.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. Sorry to be less than optimistic on this thread, but I can't even get a Libre on prescription and I don't fulfill the criteria for getting a pump, so I expect closed loop systems will go to those who don't have good control - which would be unfair.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed in 1989, I was told that with ongoing research, a cure would be found hopefully a few years................ still nothing 29 years on ( but of course new advanced technology is always ongoing and helping us to manage our condition ) but I do try to be optimistic................ :rolleyes:
I was told 52 years ago that a cure may be found within 10 years. Still waiting.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I was told 52 years ago that a cure may be found within 10 years. Still waiting.
Was told exactly the same 47 years ago and every 10 or so years since lol. Not been told it for a while now

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was told exactly the same 47 years ago and every 10 or so years since lol. Not been told it for a while now

Same here, though it was probably about 35ish years ago when I was first told a cure should be just round the corner, and then every 5 years or so there was something one of my grandparents saw in the papers that said there was a cure on the way.
And people wonder why I'm a cynical pessimist :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Same here, though it was probably about 35ish years ago when I was first told a cure should be just round the corner, and then every 5 years or so there was something one of my grandparents saw in the papers that said there was a cure on the way.
And people wonder why I'm a cynical pessimist :)

Unfortunately there is no money in a cure :wideyed::wideyed:

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless the cure is to keep taking/using something..........!:D
The problem with finding a cure is, they don't properly understand the cause! If they did, we would be much ahead with diabetes prevention, both type 1 and 2.

As they say correlation doesn't mean causation, they could be barking up the completely wrong tree.