New injection

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctor has said that need to try new injection based medication as my hba1c is too high at 63. I agree as no tablet seems to be working or gives me side effects.

It's not insulin but this

https://www.trulicity.com/

Has anyone got any experience of this?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor has said that need to try new injection based medication as my hba1c is too high at 63. I agree as no tablet seems to be working or gives me side effects.

It's not insulin but this

https://www.trulicity.com/

Has anyone got any experience of this?

I think this is the one @woollygal is using at the moment. She might have some wisdom to offer you.

Reactions: dwelldon

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks

@woollygal any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've got appointment in march to see the diabetes nurse

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Trulicity like Ozempic is a GLP-1 agonist, but at least on a quick look it appears to have less terrible side effects.

Ozempic.png
Trulicity.png

There is no medication that comes even close to the effect of a Low Carb 'Way Of Eating', but if Low Carb isn't possible for you, or if you really want to squeeze more Insulin out of your pancreas. Making the Blood Glucose lower in the short term, but the underlying problem worse in the long term (through Beta Cell function loss), it may well be the least worst alternative.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think he is wanting me to get levels down to manageable level. Then reassess.

I already do low carb and I keep regular diary of what I'm having. I eat thinks like tuna salad, chicken with broccolli rice etc etc.

It's really frustrating. The other thing that is on my mind is that we have been going through some stressful things as well so that could be complicating factor as well.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Stress, Medications (including Stains and Steroids), Lack of Sleep, Infection etc. can all raise Blood Glucose. But if they are only short term, then they won't distort an HbA1C figure too much.

What was your HbA1C originally? Has it come down since then, or has it not been tested since you tried Low Carb?

How are you managing Low Carb, since what we can and can't eat without spiking our Blood Glucose varies considerably from person to person. I find it best to use a Blood Glucose meter and test the effect of different foods on me by testing before eating and then 2hrs after first bite. Looking for both: 1. A spike of less than 2.0 mmol and 2. Trying to keep the after a meal number below 7.8 or 8.0 mmol.

There are 2 meters available which have cheap test strip (around £8 for a pot of 50). The cost of the strips is the main cost when used to find the right diet for you. The meter I use is the Tee" from Spirit Health. The other one used to be called the SD CodeFree, but that has been replaced and I don't recall the name of the new version.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi my original reading 7 years ago was 126!!!!

I got this down to 46 at one point diet only.

It's been around 55 for a year or so. I do test regularly with reading from 7 to 14 late and around 8 on a morning.

I regularly go the gym, swim cycle. Really active.

Just depressing when get result like that

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just been put on this drug too, so I'd be interested to know how you find it.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I'm due to see nurse in march so will let you know. How are you finding doing the injection

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did it about an hour ago, feel a bit nauseous, but I was warned about that. Keeping my test kit close by!

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let me know if you can of any side effects. I'm terrible with drugs and side effects. Hence going onto injection

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well today hasn't been too bad, bit of nausea, and needing to go to the loo a bit more often than usual, and not feeling great. But it's the first day, I expect it'll improve soon. How are you getting on?

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's not too bad. I've not started yet, seeing the nurse in march

Vic fletch

I’ve just been told I need to go on it as well I also take 4 metformin a day and all my other meds for heart disease and thyroid etc so I will see how it goes

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been to see diabetes nurse today. I can't have the injections for various reasons. Now looking at other options.