New insulin pump

Paulgn1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've been on the Accucheck insight pump for 3 years now and I've got the opportunity to have a new pump. I've read about the CMG systems and have heard positive things about Dexcom. This requires part self funding.
Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with Dexcom and the self funding part. I'm currently receiving the libre sensors and find them extremely handy. Thanks

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Paulgn1

I use the Dexcom G6 but I fully fund this, it's £159 a month, sensors last 10 days but can be extended and transmitters last around 3 months, I use the Dexcom Clarity app with the sensor too so each week can review my readings to understand where tweaks can be made. I think the G6 is the best bit of kit i've ever used, it's much more accurate than the libre and the alarms are great for warning you of hypos/hypers, i've achieved my best HbA1c as a result of this as I am now in the 40's which was impossible previously.

Reactions: Paulgn1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry forgot to add - only downside is the adhesive isn't great, I use tape and tegaderm to keep them stuck down.

Paulgn1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, thanks for the reply. Did you go through your diabetes nurse to get the pump and just fund the sensors and transmitters or did you fund the lot.
Can the pump work without the closed loop side ie just like a normal pump.
It certainly sounds like a huge benefit. Thanks
Hello @Paulgn1

I use the Dexcom G6 but I fully fund this, it's £159 a month, sensors last 10 days but can be extended and transmitters last around 3 months, I use the Dexcom Clarity app with the sensor too so each week can review my readings to understand where tweaks can be made. I think the G6 is the best bit of kit i've ever used, it's much more accurate than the libre and the alarms are great for warning you of hypos/hypers, i've achieved my best HbA1c as a result of this as I am now in the 40's which was impossible previously.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi, thanks for the reply. Did you go through your diabetes nurse to get the pump and just fund the sensors and transmitters or did you fund the lot.
Can the pump work without the closed loop side ie just like a normal pump.
It certainly sounds like a huge benefit. Thanks

Yes I am funded for the pump and use the Medtronic 640g which has a CGM system you can link to the pump but wasn't funded for this part, my trust doesn't fund CGMs so contacted Dexcom direct to set it up with them, if you are interested in setting up a closed loop system then you need to be aware of the technology required to set up this type of system, there is a Facebook group for closed loop pumpers, my pump isn't linked to the G6 so I manually input my readings into the pump, the 640g doesn't work with any other system other than the Medtronic enlite CGM system which is a shame because otherwise I would have a go at setting up my own closed loop system.

Paulgn1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah right thanks, I'll see what the diabetes nurse comes back with and will look at the Facebook group also. Thank you.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Paulgn1 I use a Tandem T:Slim X2 which works with a G6 CGM. Have a look at my Basal IQ thread if you are interested.