New Insulin Regime!

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Two weeks ago I was put on another insulin. I was already on Levemir at night.

Now I’m on NovoRapid 3 times a day, 4 units (breakfast,lunch,dinner). Levemir 32 units.

Well spoke to my DN yesterday, based on my bg readings she advised me to increase my morning insulin to 6 units, and evening insulin to 36 units.

Therefore, I increased my night dose as advised but have woken up feeling light headed. Have done my first NovoRapid at 6 units.

Is that normal, when you’re starting out on a new regime?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Therefore, I increased my night dose as advised but have woken up feeling light headed. Have done my first NovoRapid at 6 units.
What was your blood sugar reading at the time? maybe you were hypo, or maybe a false hypo if you sugar levels have been high for a long time.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

What was your BG reading when you woke feeling light headed?

@Rokaab , Snap!

Reactions: Rokaab

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What was your blood sugar reading at the time? maybe you were hypo, or maybe a false hypo if you sugar levels have been high for a long time.

My bg reading this morning was 5.5. That’s the second lowest reading I’ve ever had.
My bg reading at bedtime was 13.8.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
5.5 is a good level to be at, @Libby3781 , but it might feel weird because your body is used to being at higher levels. That will change over time as your biology gets more accustomed to it.

How you got to 5.5 is a concern, though. A basal insulin like levemir is meant to hold you at around the same level overnight and when not eating. If you've dropped all the way from 13.8 to 5.5 it's suggesting the basal dose is too high.

But it also might be to do with your novorapid dose. As novo acts for 3 to 5 hrs overall, there's a possibility that the tail end of the last novo dose was continuing to drop you. Sometimes when levels are high, like 13.8, fast acting insulin can take longer to get to work and then it starts dropping fast, so there might have been something like that going on.

Reactions: Libby3781

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my DN said yesterday to up the Levemir from 32units to 36 units. Maybe I should try tonight on 34units.

My gonna do my bg now, hopefully that has risen as I have eaten now. So the light headedness is passing. Oh the joys of a new regime, insulin etc etc