NEW INSULIN!!

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
I found this article today about Sanofi Aventis's new insulin. http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-1 ... ation.html
Begs the questions "why the rush?" and what on earth was wrong with the original formulation of Lantus? :lol: I'm sure someone at Sanofi knows and wouldn't it be great if they had the balls to post on this forum. Perhaps by suggesting it will "work differently" they mean it will have fewer side-effects, but I guess only their latest ginuea pigs (no offence) will be able to tell us. :cry:
Jus

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
20 hours? I used to be lucky to get 16 to 18. Think I will stick with Levemir, much prefer it :)

slimtony

I can remember the days when suggesting to your doctor that Lantus might not go the full 24 was considered blasphemy. :twisted:

Still, all credit to Sanofi, what they lack in chemistry skills, they make up for in marketing. :shifty:

microfazer

Dislikes
man-made in$ulin$, lack of C-peptide, in$ulin propaganda, half-wit medical personnel, insulin bottles that are so much thinner than beer bottles
props to Sanofi for getting it out without getting tied down with long-term trials, or proof of actual benefit. :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The trouble with a 42 hour insulin is the potential to forget to take your next BI dose. As it stands I inject BI once a day and have a set time (give or take a hour) and this I rarely forget to do, injecting every other day could mean that injections are forgotten so would prefer to stay on a once daily dose.

Nigel

wsmum

Yes, I agree with you Nigel. I wonder if it will be possible to take a once daily dose with this new one? Far less likely to forget then

AMBrennan

In theory, yes - if Lantus activity is constant and proportional to the injected amount then it doesn't matter if you inject the full dose every other day or half the dose every day (splitting the dose would result in a smoother activity graph though).
If that work's in practise is anybody's guess but I can't think of any reason why not splitting the dose would have benefits (other than not having to inject as frequently)

However, note that this is a distinct issue from whether we are allowed to split the dose (e.g. I was told that Lantus isn't approved for twice daily injection, but that I should continue splitting the dose anyway since it fixed my lunch hypos/night hyper dilemma.