New job in the USA

chrissargent

Hi

I am considering taking a job in the USA. I am Type 1 (have been for 22 years).

Can anyone tell me how, what, who etc. for getting diabetic supplies and care in the USA? I'm guessing I will need to pay but can anyone supply details.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Geocacher

I spent the first 30 years of my life in America, with a family that had both T1 and T2 diabetics.

Ask if the job offers subsidised health insurance and, if you can, get details of the cover. As a foreign national you are unlikely to be entitled to any govenment provided care, which is very limited even for Americans.

Most reputable employers offer some kind of group health insurance but not all health insurance will take on someone with a pre-existing condition so it may not be of any help to you. Even if you are lucky enough to get health insurance there will be a co-pay (excess) on every medical appointment and every prescription expect that to be upwards of $250 for a medical appointment and $30 for each prescription each month. And there may be a limit to the monetary amount you are covered for in a year or what specific health issues you are covered for. Health care is very much a profit driven industry and sometimes even with health insurance you are left paying what the insurance provider chooses not to cover. That could be anything they determine to be unnecessary for the treatment of your illness or injury, even if it was used in surgery or prescribed by a doctor.

Do your homework because hospitalisation without insurance in America is expensive enough to be a one way ticket to bankruptcy for most people. As for the supplies you'll need as a T1, expect to pay a lot. A box of 50 syringes was $50 in 1995 and I doubt they've gone down in cost.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
romavia,your reply , like all of your postings, are irelevant to the OP's questions. If you ever manage to reach practicing in court, you will justifiably be "slapped down" by the magistrate :lol: :lol: