New LADA after 13 years type 2!!

pippaandben

All down to the thinking at that time that if you need insulin anyway then no point finding out precisely what type you are and the tests are too costly anyway!! It took covid which prompted me to get a change of GP as could not make contact with diabetes nurse for advice. New surgery insisted on an immediate blood test which meant having minimum weekly/ fortnightly telephone consultations with hospital diabetes clinic and confusion all round as apparently I had been taught to treat myself as a type 1 although always told I was type 2. I have now had GADS result (after 4 months wait) and found out yesterday I was a typical LADA and am officially to treat myself as a type 1 with a shiny new toy ie ketone meter and reader as I am regularly over 20 blood glucose reading. Was put onto Libre in October which prompted GADS test withing first 2 weeks of use. Can't be many people who can benefit from covid but thought I would tell you my story. Today task is to read and understand all the ketone meter info - have not found out how to open battery compartment yet. It is a Shore Smart Duo!!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Can you please let me know what medication you have been on for these 13 years and what your control has been like?

Kiwigal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Just wondering how long after covid when you went for GADs test?

I'm gonna do private GADs blood tests first to check if any autoimmune for LADA show up positive after Covid (had covid before Christmas last year) & rebound Covid (early January this year.)

As at the moment I have got a Long Covid, which is dreadful to go through this and long covid is linked to autoimmune disease/s.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

pippaandben

Can you please let me know what medication you have been on for these 13 years and what your control has been like?
On insulin within 6 months of diagnosis after pleading with Dr. Changed to Toujeo during covid when changed GP as could not get contact with the diabetes nurse. New surgery immediately did blood test - 101 BG level and immediate referral to hospital diabetes clinic after which had 1-2week phone consultations majority of BG levels in 20-30 range. Initially control reasonable but still BG really high despite correction doses which then lead to early morning hypos on regular basis. Religiously carb counting started at 1:10 ratio which I reduced to 1:9. This has now been reduced to 1:7 with correction doses only at daytime mealtimes and NEVER at bedtime.

• Informative
Reactions: JAT1 and EllieM

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Just wondering how long after covid when you went for GADs test?

I'm gonna do private GADs blood tests first to check if any autoimmune for LADA show up positive after Covid (had covid before Christmas last year) & rebound Covid (early January this year.)

As at the moment I have got a Long Covid, which is dreadful to go through this and long covid is linked to autoimmune disease/s.
I was initially diagnosed in Singapore with T1 in 2008 with high GADAb and very low c-peptide results. A couple of years ago, a research registrar at my current UK clinic decided to rerun these tests. I was slightly freaked out that my GADAb level came back extremely elevated - I'm pretty certain I have no beta cell activity so didn't expect such a strong reaction. However thanks to a comment by @jonathan183 on another thread re evidence of covid interaction with various antibodies, I realised that I had had a covid vaccine jab 3 weeks before that GAD test.

Kiwigal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you, I took a genetic test that it shows I have a markers of Type 1 Diabetes predisposition.

So even current families members no one got Type 1 or 2 Diabetes - could be from my ancestors way further back for Type 1 Diabetes. (My mum had Gestational Diabetes when she had my youngest Brother) Highly likely the current family women members had GD for pregnancy.

Something to keep an eyes on once my diabetes changes if glucose rise up /hba1c rise up.

But will do GAD65 private test to check.