New low carb cookbook out

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing the blanquette of pork with celeriac today.
So far, they have all been delicious. Lower fat than I am used to (after several years of very low carb and higher fat).

He does like to phaff though!
Every recipe seems to have a few frankly unnecessary steps. I mean, fine if you want to do them (and the extra washing up), but some of us have lives to live, and forums to read! ;)

I will be doing the pork in the slow cooker, not his longwinded boiling, browning and oven method.
And I really can't see the point of egging it!
Also, my celeriac will not be spiralized.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. The blanquette of pork is VERY aniseedy. I only used half the star anise from the recipe, but it is still overpowering (to my palate). It is going to be a bit of a struggle to eat several portions of it.

Other than that, it is a good dish, and has made a nice amount.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Element137 I looked at it this morning in Waterstones and thought it looked really good but I didn't buy it as I thought I had a token for Waterstones at home but I will buy it next time I'm in town. I looked at the davina mc call book that is sugar free but the first recipe I looked at she was using bread so I put it back down as I haven't touched bread since restarting LCHF.
Worth looking on Amazon it's only £9 there instead of £20
Bought it the other day yet to try t recipes but look delicious

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oh dear. The blanquette of pork is VERY aniseedy. I only used half the star anise from the recipe, but it is still overpowering (to my palate). It is going to be a bit of a struggle to eat several portions of it.

Other than that, it is a good dish, and has made a nice amount.
Thanks for the heads up. I've put a note on a post it note and stuck it on the recipe in the book because that is one of the recipes Mr C wants to try.

Reactions: col101

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Got my copy in Asda for £10.
Tiramisu recipe looks amazing with coffee cake made with almond flour.
A least I feel I can have a treat

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried the boil in the bag cheese omelette for breakfast on Sunday - very quick and easy way to make an omelette- and very nice with bacon and mushroom - looking forward to trying some more of the recipes !

Reactions: mokshagna

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cooked the shepherds pie and although there's nothing new about using cauliflower instead of potato I must admit this was delicious!!
Loving this book for weekend cooking (way too much work for a week day dinner!!)