new member silly question.

fadetogrey53

Hi all Im just signed up today and the reason I signed up was to hopefully get some information regarding myself and if its possible I may have diabetes.I was drawn to the site after getting a flyer in a magazine which normally gets filed in the b1n but a piece of it caught my eye and I thought I recognised myself.I am a 53 year old male and a couple of months ago noticed I was getting up during the night to urinate at least twice.now when I go on both times its like I have been waiting and holding back for a few hours so theres a lot.This has never happened to me before as when I would go to bed I would sleep through the night without ever having to get up.Now I enjoy coffee but never have it after 5.pm or anything else either.I dont drink alcohol.The other thing I noticed was the tiredness throughout the day even though im (medically retired due to a work accident 3 years ago) and am certainly not rushed off my feet.Now heres the one thats making me think its NOT diabetes.In the leaflet I read one of the symptoms is weight loss whereas over the last few months I have gained 6 pounds without any change to my eating habits or lifestyle so im wondering if you get diabetes do you have all the symptoms or just some of them? I was hoping for some advice here before I bother my doctor.Thank you in advance. :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi fadetogrey and welcome to the forum :) Your symptoms could be a lot of things - not just diabetes. If you think you have diabetes you must go and see your GP - only he can do the proper tests which will show if you have diabetes or not. We can't tell you that I'm afraid. Don't worry about bothering your doctor - that's why they are there - to help you. Your weight change won't tell you if you have diabetes either as it could be many other things. In my case I had no symptoms whatsoever and was diagnosed after a routine blood test. No question is silly by the way. If your GP diagnoses diabetes, please come back here and we can help you manage it as well as possible :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You may not have all the symptoms so it's worth getting checked by your GP :)

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Hi fadetogrey ,

Do you get thirsty (dry mouth), urinate a lot during the day, feel shaky when you are hungry? These are, as far as I know, the most common symptoms of diabetes so if you are not having these symptoms maybe you are not diabetic but as others have mentioned, it's better to go to your GP and get checked up.

There are many reasons why you can wake up to urinate during the night, my problem, apart from diabetes, is an enlarged prostate. A lot of people I know wake up a couple of times a night to go to the toilet, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, seems to happen to a lot of people once they go past 50. Since my Doc advised me to change over to "decaf tea", I only wake up just once a night now instead of 3-4 times.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

primmers

I would echo seeing your GP, we're not able to diagnose anything.

The weight loss thing is more commonly associated with Type 1 diabetes, Type 2s can have insulin resistance which leads to constant tiredness, weight gain and higher than ideal blood sugar levels.

Try and make an appointment for first thing and go having not eaten for 8 hours, that way the blood sugar will be a fasting sugar which gives a really good indication if there is a problem. My fasting bloods do show as abnormal as did the second blood test in my Glucose Tolerance Test but I've never had an abnormal random blood sugar. The urine dip test only shows quite high blood sugar tests, you might be running a level that's abnormal but not high enough to trigger your kidneys dumping sugar into your urine.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Re can high BS cause itchy skin?

Hi. Am a type 2 with out of control BS despite being on injection n diet control. My question is can high BS readings cause itchy skin, as have noticed the rare few times had lower BS readings I stop having itchy skin. Anyone else ever encountered this? . Anna.x

RussG

Hi anna29. Without getting too personal, it perhaps depends on where you are itchy. Recurrent and persistant fungal infections are common with uncontrolled diabetes / high sugars, particularly in 'delicate' areas. If it's just general itchiness that comes and goes as your BS varies on a day to day basis, then I'm not so sure.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Rediabetes itchy skin

hi all. yes just 3months before was diagnosed, I had itchy skin all over including personal areas, warm weather n inside home temperature [if central heating on] make it worse! only time it seems to calm down is when my BS readings dip lower, which sadly isnt often. Am thinking of asking my gp for something to help for it ? or have any of you got any good tips that worked for you? I itch all over to be honest! only way I can calm it all down is to have a "just warm" shower n even then its only temporary relief! lasting couple of hours. Anna.x