XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
Hi to everyone , just been told I am pre diabetic , and have found this site so hopefully will learn from you . This has really shaken me as I have absolutely no idea what to do now . Don't know what to eat / drink or anything. I am half a stone overweight so have already started walking 3 miles a night , briskly but otherwise I am stumped.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi to everyone , just been told I am pre diabetic , and have found this site so hopefully will learn from you . This has really shaken me as I have absolutely no idea what to do now . Don't know what to eat / drink or anything. I am half a stone overweight so have already started walking 3 miles a night , briskly but otherwise I am stumped.
Hi @XT Malc , and welcome to the forum!
I'm sure other pre-diabetics or T2's will chip in soon (I'm not one of them) but I'd like to give you the link to the informative piece we give to new members to get you started.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/
There is a lot you can do yourself, and you may find a couple of small adjustments to your diet are enough to get back in the non diabetic range again :)

Good luck!

Reactions: urbanracer

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For most people the problem is the modern diet.
By reducing the amount of carbs eaten either swapping for lower carb foods or just avoiding all together there is a good chance of the problem being effectively removed. There will always be the inability to cope, but removing the things from the diet usually has such a good effect that it would seem detrimental to return to the stodge of the 'healthy' diet we are told we need to buy.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Catey

Hi malc I’m similar to you. It’s only been a couple of weeks for me since they told me I was prediabetic. I’ve still got lots of questions, but I’ve asked when I’ve needed help and these guys are awesome.
I started the low carb way of eating, but struggling a little with what I can and can’t eat and what is a good amount of carbs per day.
Otherwise I’m like you, not sure which way to go next and a little nervous/scared.
Here’s hoping you get the answers you need

Reactions: ziggy_w and Antje77

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have certainly come to the right place for information and advice. You've also started to deal with it early so I suspect that it may be a bit easier for you. Have you got a meter? That might help giving you information on how the food you eat effects your body

Good luck and welcome

XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
Hi malc I’m similar to you. It’s only been a couple of weeks for me since they told me I was prediabetic. I’ve still got lots of questions, but I’ve asked when I’ve needed help and these guys are awesome.
I started the low carb way of eating, but struggling a little with what I can and can’t eat and what is a good amount of carbs per day.
Otherwise I’m like you, not sure which way to go next and a little nervous/scared.
Here’s hoping you get the answers you need
Hi catey , what I've learned since being diagnosed on Monday is it's going to be a bit of a slog , so keep your chin up , ask questions, and keep on this site , it seems really good.

Reactions: Catey and Antje77

XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
Hello and welcome,

You have certainly come to the right place for information and advice. You've also started to deal with it early so I suspect that it may be a bit easier for you. Have you got a meter? That might help giving you information on how the food you eat effects your body

Good luck and welcome
Hi vashti , thanks for the greeting . I need to ask what is this meter i need ? and where will i get one from , thanks malc.