K

koukla

Hello and welcome Koukla,

Take Jack412's advice immediately and eat something. 23 hours fasting is no way to get your blood glucose under control - no wonder you're crying! Then, when you have something in your stomach, you can take a deep breath and read all our stories. We're all trying our best to help each other, learn from others' mistakes and successes and find ways to keep healthier for longer.

I haven't got any deep wisdom myself (I'm still quite new and struggling to get my weight down, even with low carb), but I do feel much clearer-headed and generally 'well' already. I'm trying hard to get more exercise and haven't smoked for about 10 days now with the help of e-cigs. All quite painless so far and I am looking forward to my sugar free jelly with berries and cream after my chicken tonight.

Thank you Helsin. I did. 3 eggs eaten or maybe I should say demolished, I was so hungry!!

K

koukla

Hi koukla. don't go 23 hours without eating you will make yourself feerl worse. Listen to what jack 412 said about food. try to eat regular meals 3 times a day and avoid snacks if you can. 49 is not very high. I was nearly 70 when diagnosed in march. you need to test before and after meals to find out what foods suit you. Testing in the morning just tells you what your blood glucose level is, not how to reduce it.

Thank you for your advice. I shall follow it. I'm determined to get myself as well as possible.

K

koukla

Just what I'm having for dinner (pudding)

Also, if you make a jelly up to half a pint and the when it has cooled a little whisk in a yoghurt muller light ones are good, then you have an alternative. Might not be totally sugar free (can't find a yoghurt that is) but given that you aren't going to eat the whole lot then I've always found it ok.

Haha. That's a difficult one. I don't like cream and I don't like Yoghurt. I could do sugar free jelly easily though!!! Thank you.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I regularly eat 2 eggs, bacon, fried mushroom and even some cherry tomatoes with no change at all in my bg.

Reactions: 2 people
K

koukla

So your gp has a crystal ball does he? No one knows how long someone is going to live. It isn't very professional either.

It sounded cruel Anie. I might be getting over it now but I'm not sure !!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just stick with looking after your BGs and prove him wrong
CAROL

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
enter your numbers on this page and see that they aren't too bad

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
Recommended HbA1c ranges
The recommended HbA1c range for most with diabetes is to keep the value under 48 mmols/mol (under 6.5% in the old percentage units).

People at risk of hypoglycemia, or for whom such tight blood glucose regulation is not advised, may be advised to keep their HbA1c below 59 mmols/mol (under 7.5% in the old percentage units).

most of these guys want your money, but it's free to watch to get an idea

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
He gave me 100 testing strips and 100 lancets and a GlucoMen machine...".thingy" I've just eaten my eggs and had a look on Amazon as it wouldn't be a problem to change, though my Dr might not like it. Thank you for the welcome and for the advice too. I'm very grateful.
Don't tell him. use the one he gave you to test in the morning and the other one to test before and after meals. the codefree seems to be the cheapest available.

K

koukla

enter your numbers on this page and see that they aren't too bad

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
Recommended HbA1c ranges
The recommended HbA1c range for most with diabetes is to keep the value under 48 mmols/mol (under 6.5% in the old percentage units).

People at risk of hypoglycemia, or for whom such tight blood glucose regulation is not advised, may be advised to keep their HbA1c below 59 mmols/mol (under 7.5% in the old percentage units).

most of these guys want your money, but it's free to watch to get an idea

My average, and these are my fasting ones as that was all I was instructed to do, over the last 35 days, taken upon getting up in the morning are 41.8 or 6%. Is that good or bad?

K

koukla

Don't tell him. use the one he gave you to test in the morning and the other one to test before and after meals. the codefree seems to be the cheapest available.

Yes, good idea. Thank you. What should I be aiming for 2 hours after eating? I'm going to do a test in 90 minutes. I'm either excited or scared because there's a lot of adrenaline around right now!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I've just eaten my eggs and had a look on Amazon as it wouldn't be a problem to change, though my Dr might not like it.

I'm glad you've had something good to eat!

Whether or not you tell your doctor about buying your own test meter is up to you, but if you do whether he likes it or not is frankly none of his business, you are the one who is trying to do the right thing for your own body. The information you have had from him so far is, basically, useless, unprofessional and irresponsible.

K

koukla

I'm glad you've had something good to eat!

Whether or not you tell your doctor about buying your own test meter is up to you, but if you do whether he likes it or not is frankly none of his business, you are the one who is trying to do the right thing for your own body. The information you have had from him so far is, basically, useless, unprofessional and irresponsible.

I'm really shocked. He has been my Dr for over 30 years and I trusted him implicitly. I will definitely order one from Amazon. I'm convinced I need one now. Awful.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Yes, good idea. Thank you. What should I be aiming for 2 hours after eating? I'm going to do a test in 90 minutes. I'm either excited or scared because there's a lot of adrenaline around right now!
You are looking for it to be close to where it was before eating. Before should come down as you learn what foods work for you. Your figures are not very high at the moment. By the way don't be put off by my name. It. was about trying to join the forum wearing the wrong spectacles. Nothing to do with the diabetes.

Reactions: 3 people
K

koukla

You are looking for it to be close to where it was before eating. Before should come down as you learn what foods work for you. Your figures are not very high at the moment. By the way don't be put off by my name. It. was about trying to join the forum wearing the wrong spectacles. Nothing to do with the diabetes.

I think I should change my name to yours right now !!! Ok, I'm looking for something like 6.2 because I got that about 30 minutes before I ate. Fingers crossed !!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My average, and these are my fasting ones as that was all I was instructed to do, over the last 35 days, taken upon getting up in the morning are 41.8 or 6%. Is that good or bad?
it gets tricky, your average fasting number doesn't convert to A1c, your average over 24hr for 3 mths is your A1c
IMO, your fasting 7 is fine for now and I think you can do fasting under 6 with diet alone, in not too long of a time or I would be suggesting you to get metformin to help

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
if it eases your mind some, it took me a while to get my numbers out of the twenties and a long while to get away from the teens, so dont panic about the numbers