New, panicking, and asking for advice please!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your advice. It all feels very overwhelming right now and it doesn't help that I feel so unwell anyway. My mind is reeling. I will try and screw the courage up to ask the nurse for 3 months to try and sort myself out with diet and exercise. I have loads of questions though. So sorry to be such a nuisance but:

I signed up to MyDesmond - did anyone else use it?
is there a good low carb for diabetes book you'd recommend?
Is there a blood glucose monitor you'd recommend?
I'm on MyFitness Pal and switched to low carb instead of calories - should this be ok?
It's a lot to get my head round. I so appreciate your generous sharing of knowledge.
Sorry no
I did all my reading on websites but the first book was dr Jason fung’s the diabetes code. Get an overview from dietdoctor.com of low carb first.
Yes but be careful. Many entries are done by users and wrong. Or they are based on the American way of calculating carbs not U.K. USA labels show all carbs together then they deduct fibER to get net carbs. U.K. labels already have fibRE listed separately and effectively are already net. If you can always enter the info yourself or double check it. Adding a U.K. supermarket name to the product search helps here to get the right numbers.
Keep asking.
And tell your nurse what you want to do, don’t ask.” As my figures are not scary high and as suggested by the nhs, and NICE and diabetes associations I am going to see how much difference I can make with lifestyle changes first then reassess if I might need medication when I see how it’s working in 3 months time”. It’s your body, your decision. She won’t know the difference or likely care much beyond ticking boxes.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome
Your results (and the rather antiquated way your nurse reported them) are explained slightly here.

View attachment 47248
'

To say "antiquated" to a newbie here is inaccurate if the newcomer doesn't live in the UK. Here in the US we still use this perfectly good way of reporting A1C levels. I don't know where @SheilaCanning lives; I do know that 7.7, while a bit high in the US, is not a horrible number.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for your advice. It all feels very overwhelming right now and it doesn't help that I feel so unwell anyway. My mind is reeling. I will try and screw the courage up to ask the nurse for 3 months to try and sort myself out with diet and exercise. I have loads of questions though. So sorry to be such a nuisance but:

I signed up to MyDesmond - did anyone else use it?
is there a good low carb for diabetes book you'd recommend?
Is there a blood glucose monitor you'd recommend?
I'm on MyFitness Pal and switched to low carb instead of calories - should this be ok?
It's a lot to get my head round. I so appreciate your generous sharing of knowledge.

You're not being a nuisance. It is, as you say. a lot to get one's head around and we all learn by asking questions. Your OP sounds to me like you're doing a great job working on your A1C and BG numbers. Did your nurse say anything about when to check your BG numbers? Did she recommend any particular meter?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'

To say "antiquated" to a newbie here is inaccurate if the newcomer doesn't live in the UK. Here in the US we still use this perfectly good way of reporting A1C levels. I don't know where @SheilaCanning lives; I do know that 7.7, while a bit high in the US, is not a horrible number.
To be fair. Gp, nurse managing care, myDesmond all suggest the U.K. but you are correct it is an assumption. In the U.K. this measurement system should have gone long long ago and makes one wonder how old the rest of their ideas are

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're not being a nuisance. It is, as you say. a lot to get one's head around and we all learn by asking questions. Your OP sounds to me like you're doing a great job working on your A1C and BG numbers. Did your nurse say anything about when to check your BG numbers? Did she recommend any particular meter?
The nurse didn't mention a BG meter to me but from reading here I thought it would be a good idea.

Reactions: HSSS

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair. Gp, nurse managing care, myDesmond all suggest the U.K. but you are correct it is an assumption. In the U.K. this measurement system should have gone long long ago and makes one wonder how old the rest of their ideas are
I am in the UK, yes. So usually it would be reported as 61? That's interesting. I guess we're dealing in old money here!
:)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the UK, yes. So usually it would be reported as 61? That's interesting. I guess we're dealing in old money here!
:)

If you shop for a meter and the price is marked in £/d you may want to ask if they have a more recent model!

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Desmond is awful. I feel I have to go through the motions to show willing. This is the very best place for advice and encouragement. Full of generous spirits sharing experience and wisdom.

Reactions: SheilaCanning

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Desmond is awful. I feel I have to go through the motions to show willing. This is the very best place for advice and encouragement. Full of generous spirits sharing experience and wisdom.
Yes, I am plodding through the learning sessions and feeling increasingly miserable! Ho hum.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not find Desmond helpful at all - it was a complete waste of my time.

Jane14400

Hi Sheila,

I'm like you, I was diagnosed 1 week ago and am still reeling and trying to get my head round it. When I spoke to DN the first thing I said was that I want a 12-week reprieve to give me a chance to change things. I had read the Fast 800 and the 8-week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Moseley. My nurse was very happy for me to try this. My numbers were 91 and 12.6, I don't really know what this is or what it means but I've got 11 weeks left to change my life around. I do not like the idea of taking drugs, I want to cure this myself. In recent years research has shown that Diabetes is reversible. I've also been watching YouTube videos by Dr Jason Feung and am inspired that I can do this. These are of course my own personal thoughts. I have been following the Fast 800 by about 3 weeks now (yes I started before my diagnosis) and in those 3 weeks I have lost 11lbs. I'm going to do this and in 11 weeks when I go back, they are going to eat their words! My blood glucose monitor should be arriving today (on advice for the lovely people on here). Good luck x

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sheila,

I'm like you, I was diagnosed 1 week ago and am still reeling and trying to get my head round it. When I spoke to DN the first thing I said was that I want a 12-week reprieve to give me a chance to change things. I had read the Fast 800 and the 8-week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Moseley. My nurse was very happy for me to try this. My numbers were 91 and 12.6, I don't really know what this is or what it means but I've got 11 weeks left to change my life around. I do not like the idea of taking drugs, I want to cure this myself. In recent years research has shown that Diabetes is reversible. I've also been watching YouTube videos by Dr Jason Feung and am inspired that I can do this. These are of course my own personal thoughts. I have been following the Fast 800 by about 3 weeks now (yes I started before my diagnosis) and in those 3 weeks I have lost 11lbs. I'm going to do this and in 11 weeks when I go back, they are going to eat their words! My blood glucose monitor should be arriving today (on advice for the lovely people on here). Good luck x

Thanks Jane. Sounds like we're in a very similar boat. I read the Blood Sugar Diet and started it yesterday! I've also just ordered a blood glucose monitor thanks to advice here. I am VERY much of a similar mindset to you. I've just had the chat with my DN and she has agreed with my plan. So, I have 3 months and she says she wants me to lose at least a stone and get the numbers from 7.7 to 6.7. That's doable! And of it isn't then something has clearly gone very wrong in my body and I will reluctantly take the medication.

I like your spirit! Let's do this.

Reactions: HSSS

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, everyone for your advice. I have agreed a plan with the nurse to try and get the levels down through diet and exercise before taking the medication. She will test me in 3 months by which time she wants me to have lost a stone and reduced sugar level from 7.7 to 6.7.
I've been low carb for 1 ½ days so far. Crikey, my stomach is making extraordinary noises!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sheila,

I went from 91 to 47 in 80 days eating low carb, so it is possible in that sort of time.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally am very hesitant about the fast 800 and blood sugar diets. They are fundamentally very low calorie diets and subject to the usual limitations of these (metabolic slow down and hunger causing failure). I believe they work because they, by virtue of limited food, also limit carbohydrates.

If you find you cannot maintain this diet because of the low calorie element then please do persevere with the very low carbohydrates element of the diet and eat enough natural and unprocessed protein and fats to eliminate the downsides. Don’t throw the baby (low carb) out with the bath water (not enough food)

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally am very hesitant about the fast 800 and blood sugar diets. They are fundamentally very low calorie diets and subject to the usual limitations of these (metabolic slow down and hunger causing failure). I believe they work because they, by virtue of limited food, also limit carbohydrates.

If you find you cannot maintain this diet because of the low calorie element then please do persevere with the very low carbohydrates element of the diet and eat enough natural and unprocessed protein and fats to eliminate the downsides. Don’t throw the baby (low carb) out with the bath water (not enough food)

That's interesting, thanks. I've already gone over the 800 calories by 200! And carbs are 57 instead of below 40. Much lower than my usual carb levels though so hopefully I'll lose weight and drop sugar levels even if I'm not spot on. It's a learning curve!

Reactions: VashtiB

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the fast 800 and blood sugar diet ok , for a while.
I did them for about 6 weeks and lost a stone.
Then 4 weeks after that I was diagnosed T2 so heaven knows what my hba1c would have been if I hadn't had that 6 weeks and weight loss.

Then I went low carb lost another 14-20 lbs in 2 - 3 months and another 7 or so lbs over another 6 months, without hunger! To me, its the no hunger and ability to eat this way for the rest if my life that means its low carb all the way for me.

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the fast 800 and blood sugar diet ok , for a while.
I did them for about 6 weeks and lost a stone.
Then 4 weeks after that I was diagnosed T2 so heaven knows what my hba1c would have been if I hadn't had that 6 weeks and weight loss.

Then I went low carb lost another 14-20 lbs in 2 - 3 months and another 7 or so lbs over another 6 months, without hunger! To me, its the no hunger and ability to eat this way for the rest if my life that means its low carb all the way for me.

Good to know. I figure if I can kickstart this sugar/weight drop and hang on for a few weeks then switch to low carb that should help. When you go low carb do you count calories still?

Well done for a blooming terrific result!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to know. I figure if I can kickstart this sugar/weight drop and hang on for a few weeks then switch to low carb that should help. When you go low carb do you count calories still?

Well done for a blooming terrific result!
No, forget calories altogether. Its carbs (or rather lack of them) that are important o diabetics.
Takes a while to get head around it, relearning years of lo cal low fat.
My snacks in early days were a tablespoon of double cream between meals! But it works

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting, thanks. I've already gone over the 800 calories by 200! And carbs are 57 instead of below 40. Much lower than my usual carb levels though so hopefully I'll lose weight and drop sugar levels even if I'm not spot on. It's a learning curve!
It certainly is a learning curve. Ir rather a huge unlearning one. If you need to choose between extra fat or extra carbs to bust your calorie limit go big and go for the fat!
Take a look at the success story thread if you need reassurance it really does work.