New pumper!

Fergie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I have today started on my pump with insulin (we done a week using saline to get use to the pump) so far so good! Was wondering what people had trouble with when 1st pumping? Just so I can keep an eye out! Xx

Reactions: himtoo and GrantGam

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What pump do you have @Fergie1985 ?

I didn't really have any problems. The hardest thing I found was the first couple of cannula changes. They made me nervous in case I messed them up.

Reactions: Fergie1985

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Fergie1985 I can't say I had any real problems when I started. My DSN was brilliant, I had read "Pumping Insulin", "Sugar Surfing" and "Think Like a Pancreas" and had CGM, and spent 3 months previously micro-dosing on MDI, so was quite confident about the concepts. Do you have any doubts or questions to start with, or are you just curious? Do you have CGM? I think it would have been a very different story, and much more difficult, if I hadn't, TBH.

Fergie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @azure and @paulliljeros I am on Medtronic minime 640! I'm really excited about it to be honest, my pump treatment team have been fab, I was just wondering if anyone had had problems so that I could kind of look out for them warning signs. Yes, I'm doing CGM which I find I'm more keen to do being on the pump. X

Reactions: himtoo and azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose the most important thing is to watch out for highs. Occasionally you may get a 'bad' set and that needs to be sorted quickly.

And yes, pumps are exciting! :D

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Fergie1985
Yay You for getting started on a pump !!:)

getting all my basal settings totally sorted took about 4-6 weeks and I suppose I got impatient at times wanting it all to be sorted immediately.

D

Deleted Account

As @azure says, a bad set is the worst problem and that does not happen very often.
The key thing is to be aware. When I change my set, I always make sure I have a new one close to me for the next few hours and make a note to check my BG two hours after the set change to catch any problems as soon as possible.
This has led to a couple of quick cannula changes in the car but as I don't have to change the cartridge, it is quick.

Fergie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah I have woke up this morning very high! (20.3) but have corrected so will check in an hour that it's coming down. I think my basal at night will need to be increased but will go through that in more depth with my DN. I'm LOVING not injecting already, so know any complications I might have I know il persevere as I do NOT want to go back to injecting! X

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Yeah I have woke up this morning very high! (20.3) but have corrected so will check in an hour that it's coming down. I think my basal at night will need to be increased but will go through that in more depth with my DN. I'm LOVING not injecting already, so know any complications I might have I know il persevere as I do NOT want to go back to injecting! X
my DN was really thorough and we spoke on the phone every other day for the first 2 weeks -- and I kept records so that we could go over every BG test, food, and exercise , and we reviewed settings , and I did loads of basal testing at different times of day --

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
For me understanding hypos, and the effects they have on BGs over the following 24 hrs was a bit of a learning curve. It is so easy to correct highs, that it was a gut reaction to do it as soon as I saw I was high. It took a few over-corrections to realise when they were rebounds so now have learnt to reduce corrections in these instances.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently started pumping too. Having the libre alongside the pump has been invaluable and I've almost got my basal rate cracked now. I think it's just patience you need at first, when you've set yourself up for a basal rate test but you can't because your BG is too out of target and you have to correct is a pain ;) but I guess that's the same as MDI.

Go slowly, tweak one thing at a time, my consultant told me her friend who is a surgeon took 3 months to sort it out so if it took a clever bod like that 3 months well, I'm doing ok! :D And I'm sure you will too.
Having a supportive DSN and this forum really helps. Good luck :)

I also found the official YouTube videos helpful when I first changed my cannula and infusion set. (I'm on a different pump to you though)

Fergie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know it's not gona happen over night, it will take time! I'm writing all my results down aswell as food/carbs so I can look for patterns. I'm lucky that I have a good diabetes team and they are very supportive. All us new pumpers will have fun on this new journey! Xx

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Was wondering what people had trouble with when 1st pumping? Just so I can keep an eye out! Xx

Hi @Fergie1985 and great news that your enjoying pumping insulin :)

I think everything has been covered, just be sure to carry spare sets and back-up pens when your out & about for the day.

Not sure if the same can said for everyone who have stared on a pump, but I found most of the problems & mistakes were made in the first few weeks and I've had very few since, so if things do take a turn for the worse don't despair.

Fergie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@noblehead
Yeah I think the 1st few weeks will be the hardest just because of the big change! Yes, I was told to make sure I have it all with me when out and about so I'm prepped for that! Glad to see everyone is really positive about pumping! Xx

Reactions: himtoo

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ive just kept the cupboards stocked with Lucozade during my first week as I started to get a few lows during the first couple of days, my Total Daily Dosage has now reduced by more than 20% and nearly 30%, just keep doing the checks and react immediately to the trends. I set my Insight Pump to provide a reminder every 2 hours during the evenings in order to check the Basal rates overnight, thankfully I didn't have to many concerns but have tweaked a little to suit.
I also have done quite a lot of analysis on my Carb Ratio and Insulin Sensitivity, which Ive also had to reduce on the pump from the MDI settings I had worked with. The Bolus for me was key and I also now want to start looking more into Extended Boluses based on the trends I'm getting.
As many people will say on the forum, carb counting is crucial and the better understanding you have with the carbs then the easier the pump will be.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah I think the 1st few weeks will be the hardest just because of the big change!

Absolutely.

See the book mentioned earlier (Pumping Insulin), it's often referred to as the pumpers bible and for good reasons too, it's a great read and very easy to understand and will help you get the most from of your pump, it's a book that you can refer back to time & time again.

kellyxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started MM640g on 31.1.17 :D It has been revolutionary, I love it so much. blood sugars were fantastically stable in a good range, no hypos either on the first day. The second day, my blood sugars were a little bit unstable, not too much though... When it came to the cannula changing, I got a bit worked up, but the more you do it the better you get at it, just like injections :D Each person varies and my blood sugars didn't really react negatively to the big change, but as I said, each person varies. I would never go on MDI again if I could help it :D

Reactions: Snapsy and himtoo