1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New Scientist article on LCHF

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by KennyA, Jan 10, 2021.

1. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It seems there's a piece on recent LCHF research in the recent New Scientist - unfortunately it's behind a paywall, and I'm not about to take out a subscription. The 100 or so words I've seen are a bit gee-whiz journalist rubbish (eg "fad diets") but I'd really like to see what it says. Anyone got it or know where it can be read? I might even have to read an old-fashioned print copy.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

It may be available online via your library and the rbdigital app if you're in the UK. I've read it and found it very superficial.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

The Biography bit on the author is:-
    "Clare Wilson reports on medicine, health policy, archaeology and the life sciences. She previously edited medical features for New Scientist, and was a news reporter for Hospital Doctor, a medical magazine. She has a BSc in Cell Biology."

4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

New Scientist used to be a fairly reliable source of information, like The Lancet. It has been taken over by Elsevier, and those of us with experience of this publications house recognise that they now have an editorial bias that is not necessarily conducive to the truth or true science. They seem to have lost their direction in favour of a more popular pathway, presumably to pay the bills.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. KennyA

Thank you, you've confirmed what I suspected might be the case. Money corrupts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

As my granny used to say, it's not the money, but the love of money, that corrupts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. KennyA

Your granny adopted the Biblical approach, very commendable. However I have lost count of the number of once respectable publications that have followed New Scientist and the Lancet (and Which?, for that matter) into the darkness. I excuse newspapers, which were never respectable in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. ColinTudhope

ColinTudhope · Newbie

Fair comment
    Cheers

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Rustytypin

Rustytypin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Just picked up on this, very interesting! I have read the New Scientist off and on since the sixties, more regularly in the last few years. I had held the magazine in high regard, until about a year or so ago, when they reproduced the Eat Lancet (?) report without any criticism and trashing a reply from an advocate of a more meat based diet.
    That report and several since has showed a bias in their reporting of diets that has destroyed any trust that I had in their journalism to be objective.
    A sad day, and I no longer feel I can have any reliable source for truth from any source. The main stream media is just a joke these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook