New Snack Identified!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, now I think about it, it's probably only new for me and, actually the idea isn't that new at all. In fact people have been smooshing these two things together for quite sometime...

Okay, it should be: "Sock Encounters An Old Snack Idea In A New Form!"

Aldi silver-skin pickled onions (I'm an absolute sucker for these and they're 5g/100 carbs!) dipped in... Cathedral City spreadable cheese. Dipped? I mean ROLLED. I mean almost as much cheese as there is onion.

Oh. Em. Gee. I am at once a 6 year old at her best friend's birthday party, wondering what to do with the stupid cocktail stick all over again AND a grown-up having a quiet "moment" without breaking any rules at all.

Sorry. You've all probably known about this one for ages; I just figured it out this morning, and I'm so excited -already coming up with Variations on the Pickled Onion Theme. Already thought of my first, too: put the cheese in the microwave before you dip anything in it!!

Time to get some shopping done...

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, now I think about it, it's probably only new for me and, actually the idea isn't that new at all. In fact people have been smooshing these two things together for quite sometime...

Okay, it should be: "Sock Encounters An Old Snack Idea In A New Form!"

Aldi silver-skin pickled onions (I'm an absolute sucker for these and they're 5g/100 carbs!) dipped in... Cathedral City spreadable cheese. Dipped? I mean ROLLED. I mean almost as much cheese as there is onion.

Oh. Em. Gee. I am at once a 6 year old at her best friend's birthday party, wondering what to do with the stupid cocktail stick all over again AND a grown-up having a quiet "moment" without breaking any rules at all.

Sorry. You've all probably known about this one for ages; I just figured it out this morning, and I'm so excited -already coming up with Variations on the Pickled Onion Theme. Already thought of my first, too: put the cheese in the microwave before you dip anything in it!!

Time to get some shopping done...
Oh boy, cheesy balls. Fabulous! And snap, Sock - just bought the very same pickled onions and TA DAH!!!! Cheese and biccies (ok, nutty crackers) and chutney (approximation thereof) restored. I look forward to more revelations regarding dipped onions etc. (PS: I am usually way behind everyone on everything if it's any consolation, so thanks for the tip!)

Reactions: SockFiddler

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh.. if only I liked pickled onions.

I lived in Texas for 8 years, so was indoctrinated into eating tortilla chips and queso (runny cheese) before almost every single meal. Now I have no idea what to dip into cheese. Except maybe my fingers.

It does help if there's something crunchy to dip. I'm not eating my fingers though. Yet.

Reactions: SueJB

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aaaw, @Sue192 - wanna be my Partner in Snacking? (We'd have to find a much better name for that, because its abbreviation isn't flattering). But, also, what if we put the onions on skewers, rolled them in the cheese, coated them in smashed-up nutty crackers, and then... wait for it... put them in the oven?!

Wait! Wait! Wait! You know what we should do..?!

START A LOW CARB SNACK FOOD ADVENTURE BLOG!!!

(You can tell I'm excited - the laws of grammar and punctuation go right out the window!)

And if you try to abbreviate that and say it outloud, you get something that sounds a bit like "Looks fab".

Genuinely, I haven't been this excited about food for months and months and months. In fact, about 6 weeks ago (while still in my, what I'm now calling, "Willful White Period"*) I genuinely burst into tears while looking in my fridge and freezer for something to cook and eat for my son and I. Food had made me forlorn and joyless, so it's wonderful to have excitement and adventure (and over a mere jar of pickled onions - I'm the cheapest date in town!)

But, seriously, I need a project and I firmly believe that, compared to "normal" eating, LCHF meals are not:

1. more expensive.
2. less tasty
3. less fun
4. more complicated
5. take longer to prepare
6. require a "deeper understanding of food"
7. All the other myths.

Yes, it's lovely to look at a beautifully-prepared dish of super-fancy LCHF goodies and know someone joyfully spent hours preparing it. But, honestly, I'm lazy, and I'm easily bored. And I'm broke. And none of those things disqualify me from a healthy, happy relationship with food that isn't going to kill me or suck all my spare time away.

So, seriously. Co-adventurer in snacky, fun food?

Sock xx

*Hey, if Picasso and Van Gogh can have brilliantly-named phases, why not us, too? I was back on the Bad White Foods - that gets a fancy, artsy name!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm thinking.... baked camembert....

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SockFiddler just reading about your idea of dipping pickled onions in melted cheese made my mouth water!
@Guzzler I love melted Camambert but usually dip walnuts in. :)

Reactions: Sue192

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@SockFiddler just reading about your idea of dipping pickled onions in melted cheese made my mouth water!
@Guzzler I love melted Camambert but usually dip walnuts in. :)

I've never tried it with walnuts! Tell Sock she can give me a lift to the shops :)

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All aboard the slow-but-glamorous Food Empowerment Mobile-(Scooter). Guzzler, you'll have ot cling onto my shoulders and make intimidating engine noises as we race down the street to the shops at 4mph.

We're so awesome ;)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aaaw, @Sue192 - wanna be my Partner in Snacking? (We'd have to find a much better name for that, because its abbreviation isn't flattering). But, also, what if we put the onions on skewers, rolled them in the cheese, coated them in smashed-up nutty crackers, and then... wait for it... put them in the oven?!

Wait! Wait! Wait! You know what we should do..?!

START A LOW CARB SNACK FOOD ADVENTURE BLOG!!!

(You can tell I'm excited - the laws of grammar and punctuation go right out the window!)

And if you try to abbreviate that and say it outloud, you get something that sounds a bit like "Looks fab".

Genuinely, I haven't been this excited about food for months and months and months. In fact, about 6 weeks ago (while still in my, what I'm now calling, "Willful White Period"*) I genuinely burst into tears while looking in my fridge and freezer for something to cook and eat for my son and I. Food had made me forlorn and joyless, so it's wonderful to have excitement and adventure (and over a mere jar of pickled onions - I'm the cheapest date in town!)

But, seriously, I need a project and I firmly believe that, compared to "normal" eating, LCHF meals are not:

1. more expensive.
2. less tasty
3. less fun
4. more complicated
5. take longer to prepare
6. require a "deeper understanding of food"
7. All the other myths.

Yes, it's lovely to look at a beautifully-prepared dish of super-fancy LCHF goodies and know someone joyfully spent hours preparing it. But, honestly, I'm lazy, and I'm easily bored. And I'm broke. And none of those things disqualify me from a healthy, happy relationship with food that isn't going to kill me or suck all my spare time away.

So, seriously. Co-adventurer in snacky, fun food?

Sock xx

*Hey, if Picasso and Van Gogh can have brilliantly-named phases, why not us, too? I was back on the Bad White Foods - that gets a fancy, artsy name!
Yes! Yes!! YES!!! I'll be your P.i.S (I see what you mean about that). Please please can we do a blog - I will contribute failed fat-head pizza base (too thin, too brown, too plywoody), inedible almond cocoa biccies (do NOT substitute the same amount of Stevia for erythritol) and blue cheese bake (enough grease to power a small planet) to show the un-artfully shot reality (but funny) side of LCHF? But also any number of cheap, tasty, filling, easy dishes. And how life is enhanced by cheese, pickled onions and imagination.

@Smallbrit - as a finger substitute, good old celery sticks (or any veg for that matter) work a treat. Not the same as tortilla chips though, although you could try the fat-head pizza base for nachos.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh.. if only I liked pickled onions.

I lived in Texas for 8 years, so was indoctrinated into eating tortilla chips and queso (runny cheese) before almost every single meal. Now I have no idea what to dip into cheese. Except maybe my fingers.

It does help if there's something crunchy to dip. I'm not eating my fingers though. Yet.

Try celery, or flaxseed crackers - really easy to bake the crackers at home :D

Reactions: meandmaboy

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grate some strong cheddar or similar into a small microwave able dish and micro until it is nearly burnt and crisp then use the cheese crisp (posh name ) to scoop up cream cheese peanut butter or anything else you fancy
CAROL

Reactions: Sue192

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been shovelling lime pickle with wedges of hard goat cheese. 100g lime pickle contains just 4g carbs and I absolutely love it...

But pickled onions dipped in melted cheese? Count me in! I adore cheesy balls ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been shovelling lime pickle with wedges of hard goat cheese. 100g lime pickle contains just 4g carbs and I absolutely love it...

But pickled onions dipped in melted cheese? Count me in! I adore cheesy balls ;)
Have you tried Patak's Mixed Pickle? 6.3% carbs but 100g is a lot. It has lime as part of the ingredients and is very hot.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I make my own pickled onions every year and I have a queue of relatives wanting them. The only problem is I hate peeling the little bu***rs! They taste great though. Crunchy and even perfect on their own but lovely with a bit of cheese!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lime pickle? Patak's mixed pickle? Perfect. One of the things I most miss is cheese, biccies and a good chutney, and just thought they were off the menu, having thought about the sugar and fruit content. But it'd be a bit of a challenge to eat 100g of pickle in one sitting so thanks @Mel dCP and @lucylocket61! Sanity is restored :)

Reactions: mo53

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lime pickle? Patak's mixed pickle? Perfect. One of the things I most miss is cheese, biccies and a good chutney, and just thought they were off the menu, having thought about the sugar and fruit content. But it'd be a bit of a challenge to eat 100g of pickle in one sitting so thanks @Mel dCP and @lucylocket61! Sanity is restored :)
Gosh I’m now thinking of using it with a kind of Coronation Chicken scantilly dressed with mayo and spices and some crisp leaves. Thanks SockFiddler.

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All aboard the slow-but-glamorous Food Empowerment Mobile-(Scooter). Guzzler, you'll have ot cling onto my shoulders and make intimidating engine noises as we race down the street to the shops at 4mph.

We're so awesome ;)
Oh.....what a great idea.....love to join the gang....have the onions but only marscapone in the house.....will try that for now!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well! Variations on that theme...

I plopped out the onions onto some kitchen roll (vinegar stops the cheese from sticking!)
Lightly heated the cheese in the microwave (just 20 seconds on medium-high)
Bashed the peanuts into tiny pieces with a rolling pin (still useful after all!)

The trick is to get the right amount of cheese on them before you roll them in the peanuts (apologies to anyone with allergies). Too much and you'll overwhelm the onion; too little and the onion and chilli will fight. If you nail it, though, it's just awesome with the little moments of spice coming through.

Tesco Silver SKin Pickled Onions (9.9g/100)* https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254885571
Philadelphia full-fat cheese (4.0g/100 carbs) https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/285142050
KP Spicy Chilli Peanuts (7.5g/100 carbs) http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/kp-spicy-chilli-flavour-peanuts-450g/p/55625

*If those onions are a little too high in carbs for people, you can try https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/291456447
I used the slightly sweeter (and cheaper!) Tesco ones, but I reckon a little pickled onion is pretty much a little pickled onion in this case.

Next iteration might well involve some kind of ham or leafy thing. Possibly spinach so that you can roll them up and then stick them with cocktail sticks to serve at a party or something.

And @Mufflana - you're totally welcome on the Food Empowerment Mobile! Everyone is! Come on, @Guzzler - make the "going up a gear" sound now!

Happy Sunday, lovely folks :)

Reactions: Guzzler