New study

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting.

I'd still say a monitored/assisted trial of low carb or keto before deciding on surgery makes good sense.

Wife's cousin had it done, lost too much weight, if I was honest.

But it did resolve a lot of issues, but in her case raised others.

Read up on it & properly evaluate it's effects, would be my tip for anyone thinking of it.

But a viable option for some I'd say.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sister had it done and thought it was a quick fix for her diabetes and weight problem. She did lose weight to begin with but found ways round of eating the food she craved so it didn’t help her with that. She soon gained all the weight back and 10 years on is still injecting insulin for her T2 so all it’s changed is she’s £7k out of pocket. The follow-up and nutritionist meetings fell very short. I really think most of the time we need to have psychological assessments before embarking on such surgery.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. I know two people (a big survey I know!) who had it and were doing things like liquidising Mars bars to get round the effects. So very sad, when I reckon some counselling and diet help would have been useful to try first.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I agree. I know two people (a big survey I know!) who had it and were doing things like liquidising Mars bars to get round the effects. So very sad, when I reckon some counselling and diet help would have been useful to try first.

I’m one of the skinny type 2’s so although this doesn’t affect me personally I do know someone who has gone through this process . The last I heard they were doing well following a new diet.

Reactions: jjraak

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sister had it done and thought it was a quick fix for her diabetes and weight problem. She did lose weight to begin with but found ways round of eating the food she craved so it didn’t help her with that. She soon gained all the weight back and 10 years on is still injecting insulin for her T2 so all it’s changed is she’s £7k out of pocket. The follow-up and nutritionist meetings fell very short. I really think most of the time we need to have psychological assessments before embarking on such surgery.
For NHS patients psychological assessments are part of the process. No idea about privately.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and KennyA