New Support Group Ideas

Verve09

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of starting a support group for young people with type one diabetes in my local area. We're in the very early stages and it's been going well so far but what we're really stuck on is a good name! We wanted something catchy and modern, possibly an acronym relating to support/diabetes/young people. Or a short word relating to diabetes - like Hypo (but possibly something with more positive connotations!)

One suggestiong was T1DY -- type one diabetes for youngsters but we're still looking for a bit more inspiration.

Thanks guys!

Fallenstar

I think that name is Fab...but I'm too old to join now :cry: :lol: It is so good to here of people getting together and helping each other, I wish I had had a support group to when I was first diagnosed.It is good to learn and be able to empathise with each other.....the learning is second to none speaking with others that are going through the same thing

leggott

Totally agree with the previous post and I think the name is great. The only ones I can think of are 'Today' - Type One diabetic association for youngsters, or Type One Diabetes Action for Youth / Youngsters.

Verve09

Thanks very much for your feedback, guys! T1DY is growing on me too, so maybe that'll be it!

I completely agree, support from fellow diabetics is invaluable and I'm really hoping we can achieve something with this group. I'll let you know how we get on.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Oooh, great news!

I too like T1DY, it's quite catchy i think!

Please keep us updated, be very interesting to hear how you develop and get on :)

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My local group here is called the T1DJ's - Type One DJ's (Diabetes Junior's). We organise get-togethers about every 3 months and keep in contact with social media. You could also use part of your city in the name.

Elc1112

Hi. Just thought I'd throw my thoughts in for good measure... I see where you going with T1DY but I just have two small concerns. First is the pronunciation. To me it reads "T1 die". I'm sure this isn't what you're after, but I think it's important to think about how the name might sound and as well as look. The other thing that I think you need to consider is why teens and young adults will want to join such a group. When i was a teenager I barely wanted to admit I had diabetes, never mind talk about it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one! Think about what you're offering your potential audience. If I'm a young T1 why should I join this group? What's in it for me?

Sorry, I'm not trying to criticise your ideas, althoughnit probably sounds like it! I think you're onto a really good idea with this support group. I just think you needn't put a but more thought into how you position it. Happy to talk more about it if it would help. Feel free to PM me if easier.

Em