New T2, surprised, shocked and really annoyed

nomorepies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum. You have a lot of information already, but the most important is eat to your meter. We are all individual and react differently to foods and carb amount.
it is possible to follow a low carb diet and be vegan. Low carb protein sources include tofu. Have a look at the diet doctor website for ideas of vegan meals that are low carb. There are also visual guides to carb content in veg, fruit, etc
being vegetarian and including dairy is much easier and if you eat eggs it is significantly easier.
Thanks, I'll look at the Diet Doctor. I see a lot of avocados and eggs in my future...I just hope hummus doesn't react badly with me!

nomorepies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went very low carb hoping legumes would be in my near future. I like them far more than any of the other cabs I now forgo. My oh is vegetarian/pescatarian so it would make life much easier. Sadly it is not to be, almost 2 yrs down the line - according to my meter.

What I say is make your choices based on studies of ALL sides of any argument and balanced with your ethics, not fashion or tabloid morality. Then do your best to make it as healthy as possible for all essential nutrients whatever that choice is, and do it with evidence relevant to your body (the meter! And as full a blood panel as you are able to get).
That's very sage advice. I've been sliding towards veganism because ethically I can't really justify to myself not doing it. I need to balance that with my own health though...hopefully the meter will help guide me to a comfortable arrangement!

Reactions: HSSS

nomorepies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welcome to the forum. I’m also vegetarian, but like you was eating a less than stellar diet, and I was obese on diagnosis.

I’ve gone nearly all plant based now, with an occasional Greek yogurt. Beans and lentils are a main-stay of my diet. Low-glycemic/ high fiber does wonders for me. You might enjoy reading about Dr. Furhman’s plan. It’s a cheap kindle book. Plant based, lots of beans/legumes, vegetables, nuts/seeds. It’s the way I eat now daily. BMI is now holding around 22, plenty of exercise and a healthy diet. A1c’s have all been high 4 or low 5% since adopting my new diet.
Hopefully I'll be able to do similar, although I have been wondering if eating legumes at pretty much every meal for the last year has caused my BG to soar. Just waiting for the meter to arrive now!
Congrats on getting to where you want to be, in a funny way I kind of welcome this kick in the ****. I've known for years that I need to sort myself out, and it's taken this to finally do it and keep it done.

Which Furhman book is it? He seems to have written a lot!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully I'll be able to do similar, although I have been wondering if eating legumes at pretty much every meal for the last year has caused my BG to soar. Just waiting for the meter to arrive now!
Congrats on getting to where you want to be, in a funny way I kind of welcome this kick in the ****. I've known for years that I need to sort myself out, and it's taken this to finally do it and keep it done.

Which Furhman book is it? He seems to have written a lot!

Sorry, the full title is: The End of Diabetes, the eat to live palm to prevent and reverse diabetes. The reason I chose him, is that most all of the other plant-based plans say strictly low fat - often 10-15%. Dr Furhman says, unless you have heart disease, that the specific macronutrient ratio isn’t really important. This is good because I like avocados, olives and nuts/seeds fat too much to severely limit them.

look up “the second meal” effect of beans. Dr. Greger has a video of it on nutritionfacts.org, with all citations provided below the video, as always, so you can look at the studies yourself. Eating beans at pretty much every meal may have been helping, not hurting.

Reactions: nomorepies
M

Member496333

For balance, in my opinion Michael Greger is a bit on the radical side. We all have our biases but, from a medical perspective, I recommend exercising caution in taking too much notice of a doctor who wants the entire planet to join him in veganism.