New to diagnosis

Jenny40

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
My names Jenny and on Monday I was diagnosed with late onset Type 1, I am now 39yrs old (got the diagnosis on my birthday!)

My levels are still high reading 15 this morning on tablets until Friday when I return to the docs where I think they will put me on insulin as the tablets are not working to bring my levels down.

If anyone can give me any helpful start out pointers then that would be much appreciated, this is all a big shock to me and I am trying to understand it all more so that I can help to bring my levels down slightly.

Have a wonderful day!

Jenny

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Jenny40 Welcome to the forum :)

Diagnosis is quite a shock, I was diagnosed 5 years ago at the age of 39 too, my diagnosis was quite sudden after a week's skiing holiday where I lost alot of weight and felt dreadful but still managed to ski my first black run and then drank a can of coke..doh !

The reality is the sooner you can get onto insulin the better for controlling your blood glucose levels, so at 15 you won't be feeling particularly great so drink lots of water, I would suggest calling your doctors today to bring that appointment forward, explaining what your readings are, they will advise in regards to what doses to start with and it's from that point you can start to learn and develop your knowledge in managing your blood glucose levels, a good book to get you started is written by a type 1 - Think like a pancreas. Knowledge is power in managing your type 1 status and will help you come to terms with your diagnosis. Lots of friendly members here so we will also help and support you as much as we can too.

Reactions: ringi and Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Jenny40 and Welcome to the Forum :).