New to forum

Girvo

Hi, I'm new to the forum,
I was diagnosed with LADA in November 2018 when my weight rapidly dropped to 9 stone 6 ( not good for a 47 year old man) I went to hospital after feeling ill for a while and was rushed into resus as I was hours from dying from severe DKA, my wife and daughter were even taken to the family room, I left hospital the following day with insulin, I think I should have been kept in I was quite overwhelmed by it all, I went back to work 2 days later.
Over the coming weeks I developed severe neuropathy all over my body, I was signed off work on the 08/01/19 have been off ever since, but I'm now ready to go back to work, I start back on Monday 20/01/20
Its been a hard year, apart from family and NHS staff I've not spoken to anyone about it as I don't know anyone else with the same condition, so that's why I've joined the forum hopefully to get advice and support from other people going through the same.
Thanks Paul ( girvo)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Girvo

That's some tale of woe, rather shocked you went back to work so quickly.
And what a terrible time for your family too

T2 here, not really up to speed on lada, but sure others more wise will be along soon.

Just wanted to say well done for joining, I totally agree that talking to others is a good thing... And I think we get left to much to just
'get on with it'. It's a heck of a shock to the system just getting the T2 DX, god alone knows how one copes when it comes at you like yours did.

Best of luck on the return to work.

It's s great forum, absolutely loads of information, links and just general help to get through the best we can to that better health we all seek.

Welcome to the forum, hope your time here is as enjoyable as mine has been.

Last edited:
Reactions: Girvo

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Girvo
Ask any questions you have and do talk about it. Diagnosis is such a shock and getting your head around insulin/ carb counting takes a while.

Reactions: Girvo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm new to the forum,
I was diagnosed with LADA in November 2018 when my weight rapidly dropped to 9 stone 6 ( not good for a 47 year old man) I went to hospital after feeling ill for a while and was rushed into resus as I was hours from dying from severe DKA, my wife and daughter were even taken to the family room, I left hospital the following day with insulin, I think I should have been kept in I was quite overwhelmed by it all, I went back to work 2 days later.
Over the coming weeks I developed severe neuropathy all over my body, I was signed off work on the 08/01/19 have been off ever since, but I'm now ready to go back to work, I start back on Monday 20/01/20
Its been a hard year, apart from family and NHS staff I've not spoken to anyone about it as I don't know anyone else with the same condition, so that's why I've joined the forum hopefully to get advice and support from other people going through the same.
Thanks Paul ( girvo)

Oh boy, Paul - you really have been through the mill.

The forum is a great place for folks who are living the "me too" with you, even if some were a thing your stage many moons ago.

I'm sure it'll take a little while to get back into the swing of things, so don't be hard on yourself, if initially you feel tired and overwhelmed.

Any questions yo have, just ask.

Have work made any adjustments to your working hours or conditions to ease you back into it?