New to gliclazide - getting nausia

alpha7

hi,
I was diagnosed with type 2 about two years ago and am on Metformin (2gm/day).
A couple of weeks ago I noticed I had a very dry mouth and lips - and concerned as this was exactly the symptom that I first notices. A visit the the surgery showed BS of 12. And I was prescribed Gliclazide 80mg - half a tab morning and evening.

However this is only the 2nd day and I have been feeling nauseous - which I find very hard to bear.
Is this nausia a common side effect and can I expect it to go away?

At the moment, I feel nauseous AND my lips are still dry - do they take a while to take effect?

Sorry if these are naive questions - this is my first post here.
thanks for any help.

C

catherinecherub

Hi alpha,

Forgot to welcome you. :oops: :oops: There is plenty to read here that may help you in managing your diabetes.

Take a look at this topc, compiled by the Monitors for newly diagnosed diabetics. Ask as many questions as you like, nothing considered silly.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
Feeling sick is a side effect for most medications but I found that after your body gets used to the medication in your system, most suide effects go away. My doctor told me that it can take up to 4 weeks for medication to start showing signifficant changes so don't dispair, I'm sure you'll feel better in time :) I usually go lay down in bed if I feel sick with some cold water beside the bed.... :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
i had the same, but i also had lots of the other listed issues too. eventually i couldnt bear it anymore, but it should normally go in a week or so according to my consultant, but i still had issues a month later

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya I've been on gliclazide for a couple of months and didnt notice any sickness, what i did notice was tho was hypo's but i was on 4 tablets a day :shock: . Docs just reduced mine down to same dose as yours and i also take Glucophage 1000mg twice a day so hoping now hypos will be thing of the past :D