New to insulin

Sammytashmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was diagnosed lada type 1.5 two and a half years ago and was told inevitably I would end up on insulin they just didn’t know when. Was put on Metformin. Everything was fine up until about 6 weeks ago when my bloods weren’t coming down and I was feeling very tired and quite frankly unwell. Went back to the doctors who told me it was time for the insulin. Was given the novomix 30 so inject in the morning and at night. I am finding it quite overwhelming as my bloods are still up and down, can’t seem to find that balance, it’s only been a week and has to be reviewed again in a few days as my nurse thinks I might need the seperate insulin which I agree would suit my lifestyle better. I teach at the gym and often don’t feel like eating breakfast before my classes in a morning. Also say my bloods are 7 at night they jump up to 14 by the morning. Just finding it all a bit confusing, can’t believe this is the rest of my life. Can someone tell me this is normal and will get easier!!!

Reactions: Xal

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Sammytashmo :)

Using a mixed insulin would be easy if you were living a sedentary lifestyle and eating the same thing every day. However if you want flexibility then the basal/bolus routine as your nurse has suggested will greatly improve things for you, also being able to apply a correction dose when you're running high will be ideal too as you can control your levels much more easily.

I know at the moment things are up in the air for you whilst you try and adjust to your new way of living, but trust me it will get easier once you're on the right insulins to manage your condition, so the sooner you can get this changed the better, please push your team, you can also do courses to help improve your knowledge too, a good book to get you started is 'Think like a pancreas' by Gary Schiener, it's a good guide to managing insulin/lifestyle and learning more about the condition to help you cope better, knowledge is power so please use the site here to see how others manage and ask as many questions as you need to, we are all here to help and support you :)

Reactions: mike@work

Sammytashmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou so much I do feel very emotional right now and having people to talk to about it makes me feel so much better.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
agree with Juicyj that by the sounds of it you need to be on a basal/bolus regime - suggest you make sure it is mentioned at your next appointment, and they'll probably start you off on fixed dosages so you may find your reading are just as erratic, but if you log everything (BGs, insulin dosages, food - the carb content if possible, exercise and generally how you're feeling) it will help your nurse help you to get your Insulin to carb ratio, correction factors etc tied down and it will become easier.

Sammytashmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
agree with Juicyj that by the sounds of it you need to be on a basal/bolus regime - suggest you make sure it is mentioned at your next appointment, and they'll probably start you off on fixed dosages so you may find your reading are just as erratic, but if you log everything (BGs, insulin dosages, food - the carb content if possible, exercise and generally how you're feeling) it will help your nurse help you to get your Insulin to carb ratio, correction factors etc tied down and it will become easier.
I

Sammytashmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will be speaking to my nurse on Friday who will probably change me to the basal/bolus regime and then I will have to wait till about Tuesday Wednesday before I get it and then try and get used to the new system, it’s just so worrying. I am so good with my diet obviously being a fitness instructor and I watch my carbs, even make my own bread with almond flour and flaxseeds, have cut out all treats this past week just to try and help get my bloods down, just hope I will be able to eat m&ms or crisps as a treat in the future.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The huge positive is that you will feel better once you're blood glucose levels are under control and not wildly fluctuating, and yes you can have treats but take a quick acting insulin to manage the rise once you are switched onto a basal/bolus routine, however give yourself some time, getting levels right does take time, it's a case of getting to know your body and what insulin ratios suit you best so please don't think it's a quick fix to start on a basal/bolus routine, it does take time but you will get there.

Sammytashmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The huge positive is that you will feel better once you're blood glucose levels are under control and not wildly fluctuating, and yes you can have treats but take a quick acting insulin to manage the rise once you are switched onto a basal/bolus routine, however give yourself some time, getting levels right does take time, it's a case of getting to know your body and what insulin ratios suit you best so please don't think it's a quick fix to start on a basal/bolus routine, it does take time but you will get there.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if and when you do go basal/bolus remember you are covering the carbs you are eating with 'x' amount of insulin, so if you are having a bag of M&Ms you'll know what to dose, crisps are a difficult one.........most packets are around 10-15g of carbs and most DSNs say not to bolus for snacks that are 10g of carbs.........up to you! (also depends on what your Blood Glucose is at too.)

Sammytashmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I certainly didn’t think it would be quick just want to get it under control ASAP and start feeling a bit normal. It’s all just a test at the moment as to what I can eat and how it will react on days I do t have any classes. Don’t wanna have to exercise everyday for the rest of my life to keep my bloods down lol!

Reactions: Juicyj

Sammytashmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
if and when you do go basal/bolus remember you are covering the carbs you are eating with 'x' amount of insulin, so if you are having a bag of M&Ms you'll know what to dose, crisps are a difficult one.........most packets are around 10-15g of carbs and most DSNs say not to bolus for snacks that are 10g of carbs.........up to you! (also depends on what your Blood Glucose is at too.)

Sammytashmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would never eat a bag just a few as a treat every now and again, usually on a weekend. Like I said I am good most of the time but just thought I could never ever have them again

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The fact that you exercise is a huge plus as it's great for your mental well being too :) So the new regime would be a great help in giving you more flexibility with insulin control for exercise, have a look at this course too: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/ this will help get your head round carbohydrate values as you'll need to learn this for your insulin dosing.

Reactions: Sammytashmo

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was diagnosed lada type 1.5 two and a half years ago and was told inevitably I would end up on insulin they just didn’t know when. Was put on Metformin. Everything was fine up until about 6 weeks ago when my bloods weren’t coming down and I was feeling very tired and quite frankly unwell. Went back to the doctors who told me it was time for the insulin. Was given the novomix 30 so inject in the morning and at night. I am finding it quite overwhelming as my bloods are still up and down, can’t seem to find that balance, it’s only been a week and has to be reviewed again in a few days as my nurse thinks I might need the seperate insulin which I agree would suit my lifestyle better. I teach at the gym and often don’t feel like eating breakfast before my classes in a morning. Also say my bloods are 7 at night they jump up to 14 by the morning. Just finding it all a bit confusing, can’t believe this is the rest of my life. Can someone tell me this is normal and will get easier!!!
Hi like you 3yrs since diagnoses was told lada November 2018 latest news blood results not good DN disscussing case at next GMC meeting with top consultant may have to go from slow releasing insulin to fast reacting twice a day was told initially would become type 1 eventually was not prepared for it to happen so quickly , last three years been a whirlwind of up down emotions and why me waiting for my life to settle so I can move on and know where I am going with this seems never ending