New to Keto

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I started eating keto about ten days ago, and already feel much better for it. Just wanted to check I’m doing it right - I got some ketosticks today, and tested my urine. They said zero glucose (as expected, my sugars are in range) and ketones are ++++

Is this right? I’m so new to this, just want a spot of reassurance.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ketostixks can be useless. It takes awhile to become fat adapted so use them in the beginning if it makes you feel better but don’t freak if you’re not producing ketones. You may have burned them up

As long as your bs is great, then great.

Watch your insulin needs. I have to bolus for 1/2 my protein as if it were a carb.

Can I ask what macros you’re using ?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve got maximum ++++ ketones according to the sticks, is that too much?

I’m aiming for 10% carbs, 65% fat and 25% protein, using the MyFitnessPal app - that seems to be the right ratios for keto according to my searches?

I noticed a rise after 100g prawns in a salad last night which I had to correct for. Would be about 10g protein, I think. I had an avocado in it too.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve got maximum ++++ ketones according to the sticks, is that too much?

I’m aiming for 10% carbs, 65% fat and 25% protein, using the MyFitnessPal app - that seems to be the right ratios for keto according to my searches?

I noticed a rise after 100g prawns in a salad last night which I had to correct for. Would be about 10g protein, I think. I had an avocado in it too.
I use 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% total carbs. Not net as that’s how they act in my body. Your macros are ok but your carbs could be to high and most likely are if they’re net carbs vs total. I just do better with less carbs and more fat. Most real keto sites use 5% or 20 g or less per day. I use 20 or less total. Most of my carbs come from avocado, a few nuts and some veggies
Fat could be upped a bit to 75-80% and protein lowered a bit. Most people only need 40-60 bra or 4-6 oz. I eat about 5 oz per day divided into my meals through the day. In the ABSENSE of carbs our body turns protein into bg via gluconeogenisis which isn’t why we have to bolus for about 50%.
In the US a 5 oz avocado has 12 total carbs and 9 fibers. So in the UK they’re counted as 3. My body says 12. That being said they are magical for me when I eat them with protein. The fat and fiber in the avo slows the protein and the protein slows the carbs. I eat some with every meal, never a whole one at once.

100 g prawns would be about 21g protein. The average of most protein is 7g per oz ( 28.3) Did you have some additional fat on the salad ? I have to bolus for lettuce. Sounds ridiculous. The SIZE of the meal matters too. Our stomachs are about the sizen of our fists and everytime we distend our stomachs our bs will rise. This is why I don’t eat salads. I eat either some raw low carb veg or some steamed asparagus, a few brussel sprouts or some broccoli. I make some in the morning and graze on them with each meal. I like them cold and dipped in mayo. Dinner is usually warm broc. In the morning I have a piece of deli turkey or chicken with 1/4 avo smashed in and wrapped in lettuce. Lunch is 2 oz protein and 2 oz avo with a few veg. Dinner same as lunch. Olives or nuts if snacks are needed. At the momonet I’m dairy free but you could have some cheese. I tend to eat the same macros at every meal at each time of day because then I know my dose and I don’t get many meter surprises. So if you want your same salad, just find the dose for it. And I don’t mean it has to always be prawns, just 100g. Btw, I can’t eat 100g of protein without having to split my bolus. If I don’t split it I would go low then high.

Are you doing this for bg or weight or both?

The premise of keto is keep carbs and protein low enough to get and stay in ketosis. Then eat fat until satisfied to make up the calories. For me there has to be enough fat in the meal ( avocado) or I’ll get very hungry. All carbs make me hungry. Especially salads. I so better with heavier veggies.

As far as keto sticks, I haven’t used them for many years but I don’t remember ever being really dark. Mostly in the middle. Too many variables with them. Time of day, last meal, activity, hydration etc which is why I stopped. If the color is light it could mean you’re well hydrated or exercised and burned through your ketones.

Hope this helps. I am not you and you are not me but the above is what I found works for me. They’re just things to think about and tinker with

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for all that! I’ve found so far that apart from that prawn salad (I suspect I cocked up there because the salad cream had sugar in and I forgot to check but I’ve thrown away the bottle) I haven’t needed to bolus for anything except actual carbs. And even then, not always. I had half an avocado mashed onto a buttered Lidl hi-protein roll (9g carbs) this morning, and my BG didn’t budge.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m using the “sugar surfing” method of microcarbing and microdosing, so my carbs get bumped up a little by the odd glucose tablet. Also for treating hypos. Will that knock me out of ketosis?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m using the “sugar surfing” method of microcarbing and microdosing, so my carbs get bumped up a little by the odd glucose tablet. Also for treating hypos. Will that knock me out of ketosis?
What’s sugar surfing and microdosing ? If micro dosing means a small dose often, that’s what I do. 1/2 unit every 2-2.5 hours with a snacky meal

Being ‘in’ ketosis is not as important as becoming a fat burner. Once you’re fat adapted you will go back to ketosis much faster. Keeping carbs and protein low enough will allow you to become fat adapted even if you slip out of ketosis occasionally

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sugar Surfing is a book by Dr Stephen Ponder, using a CGM or flash monitor like the Libre, it’s a method of nudging sugars in the right direction before they get out of hand using tiny doses of insulin or a glucose tab or two. Here’s the link: http://amzn.eu/cGeQBrC So yes, sounds like what you’re already doing.

I’m going to have to do an awful lot more reading up on this!

But thank you so much for all your help x

Reactions: justbe