new to pumping help!!!!

berryheadpie

Dislikes
liver fish and drunks that spit on you when they r taking to you
hi im karen i just got a pump on monday im stil running with saline at the moment i get my insulin in it on the 7th would love to hear from people and share their experiences with me also any handy tips or info would be great i look forward to hearing from you i will be sooooooo grateful

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Karen,
Sorry I can't be of any help to you I'm a T2, but going to bump your post hopefully you should get some response.

Graham

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Karen, I'm sure you'll be fine. If you have any specific question when you start then ask away.
My only advice would be to do an early morning check on at least the first night . Also, not to be surprised if you have to change your total basal by more than you think.I quickly dropped from 16u of lantus to a basal of about 12 using Apidra in the pump (and I've reduced further since) but I have heard of people who have needed more.
Its also seems to be quite common that people start to think that they've done the wrong thing because it feels strange, you're a bit worried about doing the wrong thing and changing sets can be quite scary at the beginning. This usually passes quite quickly and it becomes so much a part of you that you forget you have it on.

If you haven't seen it already Pumping Insulin by John Walsh is the 'pumpers bible'
Good luck for Monday.