New to pumping with problems

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I got my medtronic pump on weds last week and we are running it on saline either until tomorrow or until our next pump group on weds this week. I had originally hoped to start on insulin tomorrow but have been having problems so not sure what to do.
On weds and Thurs nearly every time I bolused I got a no delivery alarm, sometimes 2 or 3 times during my bolus if it was a large amount. I reprogrammed after each alarm as resume doesn't seem to resume the previously set bolus. Anyway had contact with my DSN who advised me to change my set which I did on Thurs night.
Since then I'm still getting alarms nearly every time I bolus. Today I did a rewind and reset but it didn't work. I also disconnected and ran 8 units which came out fine. I assume it must be a problem with my sets? The one I took out on Thurs wasn't kinked that I could see.
Anyway, I've only 2 sets left and I can't decide whether or not to switch from saline to insulin tomorrow. If I decide to stay on saline I'll change my set tonight. If I go on insulin I'll change my set and start the insulin tomorrow morning, it then gives me one spare set if there are more problems.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Michelle x

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I had problems when i was put on a pump back in 2010 and it was a medtronics veo but difference being i was put straight onto insulin with no chance to get used to the machine. I kept at it for 3 weeks but had problems firstly with the delivery from TNT for all of the bits, they kept losing my order, then i was told there was an alarm on it to inform me of when my sugars drop but there was no alarm and the final straw was when i went out one day for a coffee with a friend i checked my sugars before i left home and later in theday i felt really ill, when i finally got home i done a BG test and it was through the roof which would'nt even registar on my meter i done a injection of insulin a re-tested an half hour later and my BG was 36. My hubby said i looked terrible my lips went blue i felt so sick i had to go and lay down, i even checked all the tubing there was no air bubbles or kinks in it so i don't know what happened. I was'nt to inpressed with it to start with but when that happened it was the final straw i gave it back and went back onto my insulin pen. To make matters worse i was given a 24hour help number for medtronics and whenever i rang all i got was a answerphone.
Don't want to put you off maybe mine was a one off, but i myself am not over the moon about the insulin pumps at present and am put off by getting another one as my consultant now keeps going on to me about trying again. My hubby has said NO to it as he said its made out to make you normal.

tracey167

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia - I have a medtrnoic pump since November 2011 and like you I went on to saline first. I discussed going on to insulin after a week but, because again like you, I was having no delivery issues I extended the saline period for another week. Obviously we had to address the no delivery alarms I was getting and after changing from quick sets to silhouettes everything has been fine since then. I don't mean fine as in I've never had problems but my issues seem to lie with my age and an ongoing skin infection rather than the pump itself. I would ask to try new sets first as you can't risk continual problems with your current ones especially as you're new to pumping. Good luck Riri

iHs

Hello Michelle

Not sure what infusion set you are using at the moment but going on what you have said in your msg, it does seem as though youve got a problem with the infusion set rather than the pump itself ,as you can prime insulin through the tube without it being connected.

Often infusion sets and where on the body they are inserted, can be the cause of many problems for pumpers. If you are using the Mio are you inserting it correctly by cocking the spring in the housing as far as it will go and holding the set firmly against the skin before releasing the spring? Also, are you inserting the set in the same area as the previous ones? Difficult at first when you are nervous but try not to be too tensed up before putting the sets in. I always stood up to insert the Inset II set in my tummy which is the same as the Mio and just looked at the TV while I released the spring and didnt have any bother.... If you are using the Quickset with the inserter device, make sure that the set again is in the inserter device correctly and make sure that you wipe around the inside of the inserter to remove any adhesive residue along the sides as this can make the set not go in correctly.

If none of the above applies, then phone either your DSN or Medtronic and see if you can have some alternative sets to try. I would not try insulin in the pump yet until you are happy that it wil function ok with the set you are using....

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your replies. I'm definitely not giving up on the pump, I asked to go on it and waited so I want it to work!
I'm using the Quickset and think the problem is with that, just changed my set and the old cannula was REALLY bent when I took it out. I'm on my 3rd set now, each one is about 2" from the last and 2" from my belly button, the first 2 were on the right side of my tummy, the third is on my left.
I've decided not to go onto insulin tomorrow, I'm disappointed but that is cos I'm impatient!

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ended up going to see my DSN this afternoon and she has put me on Mio sets instead which I seem to like so far. Going to go live on insulin tomorrow if no problems tonight. Wish me luck!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
All the best - its scary to start but i hope that in time you'll get used to it and love it :thumbup:

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You're right there Riri, only 1 day on the pump and I'm already in love! Had great blood sugars today, a little too low if anything but that's from the residual lantus. It's so good being able to give insulin but carry on with life ie dishing out my dinner!!!