New to the forum - hello!

TraceyWheels

Hi, my name's Tracey, and I'm a Type 2 diabetic. Having been officially diagnosed in November 07 whilst in hospital, and having things finally confirmed by my GP in Jan 08, I am still finding the whole diabetes thing very confusing. My GP won't prescribe test strips for a meter, as she says it is unnecessary for a type 2 diabetic, although I have had a couple of hypo episodes. I can't afford to buy strips myself. The only monitoring I have is a HBA1c every six months, and a yearly check by the practice nurse. I see a dietician, and have lost around 10kgs since diagnosis, although I am still very overweight. I have various other health problems (cerebral palsy, arthritis, asthma amongst others), which make it hard for me to exercise. I can't swim at the moment as I just had surgery a couple of weeks ago to fit a suprapubic catheter for bladder problems. The dietician says to eat carbs with every meal, which I find confusing, as I've seen lots on the Net about eating a low carb diet if you are diabetic.

Sorry for rambling on so much and basically having a moan. I do just feel so confused by everything at the moment.

I am on 500mg of Metformin twice a day, Simvastatin 40mg, low dose aspirin, and lisinopril 10mg for my BP, although when I was in hospital for my surgery, my BP was persistently low, so they didn't give me the lisinopril whilst there. I also take co-dydramol for pain, and Lyrinel for my bladder.

Hello to everyone, thanks for reading my post, if anyone managed to get through it, and I look forward to being a member of the forum :)

On a positive note - I'm a lone parent to my absolutely fabulous 16 year old son, who I wouldn't swap for the world...and a huge fan of the actor David Tennant...and I collect cuddly hedgehogs - contradiction in terms I know, but that's me!!

sandymaynard

Hi Tracey
Welsome to the forum, I am still waiting to be confirmed personally! You will find everyone very helpful on this website, with lots of good advice for you!
Well done on being a single parent mum! Must of been hard at times i am sure your son is worth everything! you are a very brave person with alot of guts and will power!
My mum had me when she was 41, no other children! as she was told she was infertile and gone through the change! it was a funny story not long been diagnoised type 1 diabettic! Told she had a bladder infection!
Then 3 days later i come along! she says that i was worth all the pain she suffered i am her gift from god! I am her little Angel!
You should be able to get test strips from your doctor, i got some the other day! it is more so the point that you are having hypo's as you need to check out what foods make your blood sugar's high or which ones bring your blood sugar's down!
We all like a good moan now and again! My mum says having a moan does you the world of good! That is how we release stress! With your operations that you have had it could be the case that these are having a effect on your blood sugar's!
The more stressed you are than the more your blood sugar's will go up! You will also find the most stupidist things will raise your blood sugar's, i had a stinking cold last week,
bought some cold and flu pills, shot my blood sugars through the roof! Silly really i never thought of it before!
I must admit i have started a low carb diet after people on here advised and i have noticed a drop in my blood sugar's, i have also had three hypo's this week!
I have a bottle of lucozade at all times in the fridge or close by! i also have some dextrose pills close by!

dumpling

Hi I know everything is confusing for you but there are very nice people on site who help and can give lots of helpful advice .
Low carbs seems the way to go but you have to find your own way as everyone is diffferent hope that you can start to sort through all the gobbledy goop and start to feel in control soon but keep looking round and someone far more qualified than me will proberly help oh and welcome to you I get confused to

Aadrgon

TraceyWheels said:
Hello to everyone, thanks for reading my post, if anyone managed to get through it, and I look forward to being a member of the forum
Hi and welcome Tracey
You are already a member of this forum ( if you'd have read the smallprint - getting in is easy it's getting out that's hard :) )

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time of things at the moment
Many of the people in here are on low carb or low GI diets - I don't know whether one of these would be suitable for you - you could try reducing the carb in your diet ( read the low carb board for ideas)
High carb intake is only creating more glucose that your body cannot deal with.

As for test strips you need to test on a regular basis in order to ascertain the effects your meals are having on your blood glucose. as defined in the NICE guidelines - might be worth you while reading through the section then going back to your Doctor and pointing out the necessity of testing several times a day.

NICE guidelines

Hope this helps

Any questions post and ask or if you just feel like a rant be our guest :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Aardgon wrote :

As for test strips you need to test on a regular basis in order to ascertain the effects your meals are having on your blood glucose. as defined in the NICE guidelines - might be worth you while reading through the section then going back to your Doctor and pointing out the necessity of testing several times a day.

NICE guidelines

Aardgon
I just hope Tubs isn't around - you may be getting a headache shortly. i have a few aspirin left from my last one if you want ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ken

Aadrgon

cugila said:
I just hope Tubs isn't around - you may be getting a headache shortly. i have a few aspirin left from my last one if you want

Sssshhh had to borrow the link from a previous Tubs post - he might not notice :)