New to the forum

Justphil

I was diagnosed with type 1 late July this year. (Although not had my antibody results yet) I test my BG around 10 times a day. As i use Novarapid and Lantus. Drive and like to do a hard 5K walk most days

My numbers are good i can comfortably stay between 4 and 7.5 all day. I seemed to have grasped what foods i can and cant eat very quickly, however when i wake in the morning, im at the higher end of those numbers, which worries me. I do eat supper every night because im worried about hypos in my sleep.

So basically my question is, .....what should my numbers be before bed and waking? How do other people manage eating supper?

I take my novarapid before breakfast dinner and tea. Then my lantus at 10pm when i have supper. Sometimes i will sneak an extra 3 novarapid at this time also if i have 2 slices of toasted low GI bakers seeded wholemeal bread.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It takes Lantus 8 hours to get up to speed and. You could try shifting the timing of the Lantus shot. You could also try limiting carbs for supper or increasing the bolus dosage.

Reactions: Justphil

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 late July this year. (Although not had my antibody results yet) I test my BG around 10 times a day. As i use Novarapid and Lantus. Drive and like to do a hard 5K walk most days

My numbers are good i can comfortably stay between 4 and 7.5 all day. I seemed to have grasped what foods i can and cant eat very quickly, however when i wake in the morning, im at the higher end of those numbers, which worries me. I do eat supper every night because im worried about hypos in my sleep.

So basically my question is, .....what should my numbers be before bed and waking? How do other people manage eating supper?

I take my novarapid before breakfast dinner and tea. Then my lantus at 10pm when i have supper. Sometimes i will sneak an extra 3 novarapid at this time also if i have 2 slices of toasted low GI bakers seeded wholemeal bread.

Hi there. It's all trial and error of course and you must be very cautious about changing doses/routines especially as you are quite new to it all. Having said that, when I was diagnosed I was told 'you must eat carbs before bed or you might go low during the night'. I was told 'Get your glucose levels up to above 7 before bed'. I soon realised that this was proving impossible unless I had a shedload of carbs before bed.....and then I was feeling compelled to add a unit of insulin with those carbs which totally defeated the object.

Fast forward to now. I generally do not have carbs before bed unless my glucose levels are in the 4s, then I may have 15 carbs. If my levels are in the 5s and they've been dipping low all day, I might also have 15 carbs. If my levels are high 5s and I have had a heavy days exercise, I might also have a small snack on the basis that I know my levels may go lower because of that day's exercise. It really is ALL about you and your knowledge of what your body reacts to and how. Of course this can be random.

It may be that your toast and your 3 units are cancelling each other out to some extent and if it's leaving you at 7 in the morning well that's perfectly acceptable. You may find (like I do) that if your basal is ok your morning readings may be very similar to your bedtime one without any snacks. I would say try it BUT I am emphasising that as a relative newbie you MUST be careful. In the end the aim is to adjust your dosage to what YOU want to eat whilst keeping your levels in range. If you are going low during the night then it may be your insulin that needs adjusting BUT run it all through with your Diabetes team as lots of other factors may come into, the honeymoon period for one. x

Reactions: Justphil