New to this and don't have a clue.

Tessie2018

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

For the past four years I have been down as diabetic type 2 but diet based. Not sure if that means pre diabetes. I feel quite ignorant at the moment.

I went back to doctors before Christmas who said after a blood test I must go on metmorfin. I took one tablet and was so ill for over three hours, severe stomach cramps, felt drowsy and nausea. I told the nurse I couldn't take it. They have given me a machine to test my blood and in the morning it's about 13-15 before bed sometimes it's 16-18. I have not been back to the DRs with the readings.

I'm taking it from the readings this is really not good.

I also have an under active thyroid so find it very hard to lose weight. For the past three months I'm so exhausted. When I'm walking around the office I feel like I'm walking through treacle. Is it the diabetes or the thyroid?

I ate a jacket potato with tuna and salad and I thought that was healthy? Not according to the test. 16.5.

My readings are high, sometimes I eat very healthy stir fries, yoghurts, loads of salad, fruit which is my favorite. Sometimes I can be awful, crisps, recently chocolate and only because it is sitting in front of me in the office. I never go and buy chocolate. I'll be glad when it's all gone!!

I do love a glass of wine at the weekend as well. Terrible I know.

I had strawberries the other day and did a reading and it was about 18. Then someone said you shouldn't eat strawberries, jacket potatoes is no good either.

Anyway with out boring the pants of you I'm feeling very stressed as I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Can you recommend a cook book or a plan. I would prefer to follow a plan.

Can I change this around without metomorfin.

Or am I doomed!

I know I have to change things! I'm getting burning sensations in the tips of fingers and toes! I'nit all the time but sometimes.

Can someone kick me up the a..e and really help me understand this disease.

Thank you very much

Tessie

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome aboard,

Those readings are high and not desirable. It looks like your diet needs an overhaul. :arghh:

You are already learning from your meter that certain foods are not wise choices for T2 diabetics, such as potatoes and fruit.
If you organise yourself properly with your testing, you will learn a lot more. Test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Keep a food diary including all ingredients and portion sizes and record your before and after levels alongside. Look at the amount of rise from before to after - that is the important figure initially. It needs to be under 2mmol/l and preferably less. If it is more than 2mmol/l there are too many carbs in that meal which need reducing in portion size or eliminating. This is called eating to your meter, and will help you enormously.

Have a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist for some idea on the types of food to eat to bring your levels down and keep them down. It also lists foods to avoid, and there are some recipes.

Tagging @daisy1 who will come along and post some very useful information. Meanwhile have a good read round and ask as many questions as you like.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What Bluetit said.

Different people react to foods differently. I am OK with Strawberries, One of the breakfast I have is Strawberries with Greek yoghurt - about a handful and a half of strawberries and my BG does go up but only about 0.5. Now if I have a banana....
Sugar is Sugar even if it is Fructose. Before being diagnosed I have a fruit habit - 5-7 pieces a day (if you include berries). apples, oranges, bananas, kiwi, ugly, pomegranate, grapefruit, you name it I ate it. Fruit is though to be one of the contributing factors to my development of T2.

Meal / Food Planning is key, well it was for me.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just to say hi and welcome to the forum. And to add I am in total agreement with what has already been said also with metformin if you do not take it with food the unfortunate affects can be very much worse but if you cannot take the standard metformin you could ask to be prescribed the slow release version which is less harsh on the tummy.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. You can turn your numbers around and improve your health as Bluetit says.
Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like, the knowledge base on this site will astound you and members are only too willing to offer help and advice. Good luck.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

For the past four years I have been down as diabetic type 2 but diet based. Not sure if that means pre diabetes. I feel quite ignorant at the moment.

I went back to doctors before Christmas who said after a blood test I must go on metmorfin. I took one tablet and was so ill for over three hours, severe stomach cramps, felt drowsy and nausea. I told the nurse I couldn't take it. They have given me a machine to test my blood and in the morning it's about 13-15 before bed sometimes it's 16-18. I have not been back to the DRs with the readings.

I also have an under active thyroid so find it very hard to lose weight. For the past three months I'm so exhausted. When I'm walking around the office I feel like I'm walking through treacle. Is it the diabetes or the thyroid?

I ate a jacket potato with tuna and salad and I thought that was healthy? Not according to the test. 16.5.

My readings are high, sometimes I eat very healthy stir fries, yoghurts, loads of salad, fruit which is my favorite. Sometimes I can be awful, crisps, recently chocolate and only because it is sitting in front of me in the office. I never go and buy chocolate. I'll be glad when it's all gone!!

I had strawberries the other day and did a reading and it was about 18. Then someone said you shouldn't eat strawberries, jacket potatoes is no good either.

Anyway with out boring the pants of you I'm feeling very stressed as I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Or am I doomed!

I know I have to change things! I'm getting burning sensations in the tips of fingers and toes! I'nit all the time but sometimes.

Thank you very much

Tessie

Hi Tessie,

Please read this carefully-

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

Welcome to the forum, we’re all here to help and support you!

Andrew

Reactions: Grannypat

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Michael Mosley's 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet book is also a good way to go - I wouldn't obsess about the calories but the principles are good, he explains some of the important science behind low carb eating in an accessible way and suggests recipes and meal plans. It is usually available relatively cheaply in major supermarkets. Good luck!

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Change your diet look for LCHF or Keto diets, in 13 weeks in and I've gone from 11-12 BG readings to 6-7 daily averages I should be on 4 Metformin tablets a day but only taking one and I hope to stop that soon.. I've been watching these videos by DrKenDBerry MD

Hugs xx

Tessie2018

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all so much for welcoming me and advising. I'll take a look at the suggestions and hopefully will start to see a change.

Reactions: Guzzler

LannyHawk

I'm in the US where everything is pharma, since they pay the doctors.
I started at a1c of 7.3 and last year was at 5.9. No meds period. Use low carb high fat diet and lost 40 lbs. Fasting went from 125-138 to 89-112. However, you have to test foods to see those that are bad for you.
I'm in the middle of the flu, and even though I know fruit isn't good for my blood, I had a glass of orange juice. After 2 hours my blood was 201. Had never been that high in 3 years. Doctors push fruit so they can push meds.
It's a slow process and deprivation from most of favorite foods ( like anything white ... rice, bread potatoes or anything made with white flour).

Hello,

Or am I doomed!

Thank you very much

Tessie

Tessie2018

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just listened to Dr Berry, I'm feeling very upset that things are so out of control. I'll get onto ordering the books. Thanks once again. X

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Tessie2018

Hello Tessie and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just listened to Dr Berry, I'm feeling very upset that things are so out of control. I'll get onto ordering the books. Thanks once again. X

Don't be upset! With the advice and support from people here, it can be controlled!

I'm pretty new to this and started out a bit upset. I thought I was being healthy eating fruit, and maybe a chocolate bar when I felt low. Sugar gives you energy, right?

So that was wrong because we're carb intolerant and having high glucose can make us feel bad. But the good news is it's manageable, so using a glucose meter to figure out what foods raise that, and reducing or avoiding them. And with a meter, it also doesn't always mean you have to avoid them completely. I switched to a low carb diet thanks to the advice here, and got my glucose levels down pretty quickly, and there's lots of useful food suggestions in and around the forum.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Not much to add about the excellent advice about diet etc, just perhaps have you tried slow release metformin? Many people can tolerate that and it is a good drug.

I too am hypothyroid and if you are adequately medicated you really should not have more problems losing weight than anyone else. However, many of us with uat are not adequately medicated and this can make a huge difference. It can also make you feel dreadful and send your bgl off into places that make absolutely no sense. The 2 things are definitely linked and more people with uat also develop t2d than is seen in the general population, although the mechanism which controls this is not known.

Do you have your thyroid numbers? Or does the surgery just tell you that they are "normal"? Can I suggest that you have a look at healthunlocked thyroid page and just do some browsing. Also have a look at the thyroid charity pages for good advice. The 2 things need to be seen as a "whole" problem, together with any other auto immune problems you may have.

Good luck with it all. You have to be pro active!

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Hello,

Or am I doomed!

Thank you very much

Tessie

Hi, I'm sorry that you seem to be having trouble, you've come to a great place for advice. Know that you can do something about it... I have! I am type 11 and I've been on tablets for years, 2 years ago I also started injecting insulin 4 times a day. I have changed my diet dramatically and I have halved the meds I take (tablets and insulin).

I think that you need to cut down on carbs, you mentioned potato and I'm sorry to say NO! No more bread, potatoes, sugar, sweets, chocolate, pastries, crisps, cakes, biscuits, in fact nothing (or at least as little as possible) anything made with flour and anything that obviously has sugar in it. No fruit juice either. Most breakfast cereals are out, you also mentioned yogurt and I'm afraid that's out too. You also need to stop (if you do) drinking 'pop', even the sugar free varieties. I don't drink so I can't comment on anything with alcohol, I mostly stick to plain water these days.

When you read product labels you need to look at the total carbs as this includes carbs from sugars, and remember that all carbs will quickly turn to sugar anyway. If you look at a low calorie yogurt for example you might be surprised at the total carbs in it, and some yogurts don't show you the sugar so you need to read carbs instead!

Before you switch off and brand me nuts because there's nothing left to eat let me tell you a few things that have worked for me and I've dropped from an HbA1c of 9 down to 5 and I've dropped almost 3 stone in weight - I don't claim that it was easy because it wasn't.

You didn't mention exercise and I'm sorry to say that this is probably one of the most important things that you can do after selecting the right foodstuffs to prevent long term issues associated with diabetes. It doesn't have to be much, you don't have to go to the gym, but it should be regular. I find walking is good for me, I also cycle a little and try to do something for at least 30 minutes every day. If I want a little naughty treat I have it while I'm exercising and it doesn't seem to raise my BG very much.

Things that are definitely in:
Nuts
Butter
Cream
Full fat milk (but not too much)
Cheese
Eggs
Meat
Greek natural youghurt (not the flavoured ones) - mixed with some berries.
Strawberries and other berries
Small amounts of fruit - note small, it is trial and error with fruit.
An occasional banana is OK if it is not too ripe, more ripe = more sugar.
Only very small portions of fresh Pineapple
All salad stuff.
Most veggies (watch out for root crops like potatoes)
Fish (not deep fried of course!)
Plain chocolate (at least 70% chocolate, so not Cadbury Bournville for example!) - but small amounts
Peanut butter - but only if you like it - I do!

I have tomato, bacon and eggs for breakfast 2 or 3 times a week, the other days I have ham, cheese, tomato, cucumber, beetroot, eggs, cheese. Also I have a small plain Greek yogurt with fruit. Sometimes I might swop the yogurt for one weetabix, or a small bowl of shredded wheat.

For lunch I have a couple of very low carb slices of special bread (I live in Germany and it is called 'egg white bread') with cheese, and some cold chicken, pork, or tuna fish (or whatever we had last night for dinner).

Dinner is the usual meat and veg with a small ball of stuffing and one yorkshire (both are almost 100% carbs of course) but no potatoes. Followed by a little fruit and cream.

Snacks are cheese or nuts or a piece of fruit.

You need to experiment, everyone is different but I would cut carbs and exercise as much as you can.

I wish you all the best.

Tessie2018

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh my goodness!!! Wow whole life change. I noticed this week that I'm constantly eating the wrong stuff. I eat loads of salad, fish and chicken. Crisps are a downfall.
I don't understand why the nurse has not given me all this information!
You have been so helpful and I just have to get my head around it.

I'll have eggs I. The morning. I have strawberries and carrots with other veg for lunch and a stir fry for dinner. Is it really ok to have full fat milk? Creams and butter?

I shall start my new way of eating tomorrow.
I must exercise, I have been in a lot of pain for months and have just had an injection so I need to get walking. I have had three hip replacements. I'm in my 40s.

I feel sluggish, recently feeling dizzy, I'm hungry a lot and then I go for crisps.

I have terrible sleeping habits, why I'm still awake and have work tomorrow. I'll bid you good night. Once again, thank you so much!

I don't normally eat sweets and never crave for them but before Christmas I got this mad urge and ate a lot of sweets over a couple of weeks. I don't know why just really fancied them like Lolly pops or momams. I have stopped that now.
I feel I have really damaged my body. Especially eating what I thought was healthy. I'm testing all the time.

How am I going to live with out potatoes!! Roasted!

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel sluggish, recently feeling dizzy, I'm hungry a lot and then I go for crisps.

That was the bit that confused me. Surely high blood sugar should mean we're bursting with energy? But no:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperglycemia#Signs_and_symptoms

Think with hindsight, the strangest one for me was the sudden urge to drink water. Not had that since switching to low carbs. And then guzzling water means getting rid of that water, so disrupted sleep, then feel worse.. For me, things quickly improved though.

How am I going to live with out potatoes!! Roasted!

I think the good news is.. you don't have to! Spuds every day would likely be bad, but a small portion becomes an occasional treat!

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Or am I doomed!

Thank you very much

Tessie

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well im a type 1 and my partners a type 2 we eat everything you have written and a few more takeaways , my diabetic nurse said eat what you want but smaller potions

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well im a type 1 and my partners a type 2 we eat everything you have written and a few more takeaways , my diabetic nurse said eat what you want but smaller potions
They do say that - and then they look blank when they see my results and can't understand why they are so low - I ignore all advice to increase my blood glucose, I tell them. It works a treat.