New to this :)

diabetic0312

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 16 type 1 and new to this, want to tak about living with diabetes without sugar coating it, it's a lonely place and need a chat

Tot85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi diabetic0312!
Diabetes can at times make you feel a little lonely, kind of like you're fighting this rather annoying fight constantly that no-one else around you really understands but I can assure you you're not alone and you certainly don't have to let it rule your life!

Spend some reading through the forum, there's so much good information and super knowledgeable diabetics so do feel free to ask any questions you may have!

How long ago were you diagnosed? I'm assuming you're on insulin and have been through the initial shock of having all the standard symptoms, peeing constantly, moody, weight loss? All of those things go back to normal pretty quickly once your sugar levels are under better control.
I remember before I was diagnosed I felt terrible for a couple of months, put off going to the docs but then when I did and I was put on insulin within 24 hours I felt physically so much better, of course rather shocked with the diagnosis!

Living with T1 can be annoying and frustrating at times but with a small few changes, i.e. diet and a bit more exercise and trial and error with food vs insulin you really can live a normal life, just a little less cake filled!

One positive thing that I've always carried with me about my diabetes is that if life has decided you're going to get an illness at least it's given us one that is (predominantly) manageable with a few small changes, and although it's a bit of a cliche I always tell myself it could have been something much much worse!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @diabetic0312 yes indeed it can be a lonely place, there's always lots of us around for chat if you need to ? I find it helps hugely to be able to talk to other type 1's as it unloads the burden and you can learn from experience then, so it doesn't have to feel so lonely. I am 4 and a bit years diagnosed now and what helped me in the early days was education, so learn as much as your brain can take, read books, become an expert. 'think like a pancreas' is a good book to start with. If you need anything give me a shout ? ;)

BIGALAN49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people that smoke, i'm sorry i'm an ex-smoker
Hi there I've been diabetic now for 44 years and you will find many people to help and support you

Reactions: Freema

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I can identify with that. It took me years to find this site.