1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New to type 1

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Char1994, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Char1994

Char1994 Type 1 · Member

hi I have been diagnosed with type 1 a week ago, my problem is my vision. Every so often it keep going blurry and when I wake up it is very blurry then it adjusts. I've been told I can't have my eyes tested for 6 weeks. Do you eyes adjust with in 6 weeks and does this blurryness stop? Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep! It (normally) takes a few weeks to get your blood glucose under control but when you do, you should find that your eyesight returns to normal.

Welcome to the forums @Char1994

3. Char1994

Char1994 Type 1 · Member

Thank you. That has made me feel better. They have just been on and off blurry and was worried this is how it gonna be but like you said they will return to normal soon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi @Char1994
    when you are first diagnosed your blood sugars will have been very high.

as they come down to normal sometimes the eyes can take a while to get used to the reduction in blood sugars.
    do keep in touch with your care team if you feel they are not responding as you want.

6-8 weeks is pretty normal though.

all the best !!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Char1994

Char1994 Type 1 · Member

Thank you :) I know this is normal then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Yes, it's normal but I was lucky and they came back with a week or two, although I wouldn't advise any testing until you are confident they have settled

7. Jpen95

Jpen95 · Newbie

Yeah it is completely normal as your body has been custom to operating on high blood sugars, I take it you have been undiagnosed for a while, and so as your sugars drop and become controlled your eyes will adjust. You may also find that other things like skin, weight and hair quality and growth start improving as you get healthier and more controlled! Type 1 diabetic diagnosed a year ago speaking from personal experience x

8. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, as already said its all normal and will go :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook