New Type 1 Diabetics Getting Little Help

leahkian

I have been on this forum and am angry with the way that people who get type 1 seem to be getting very little help from hospitals and GP's. I have read that people are in hospital for 24 hours given their insulin dose and sent home with a leaflet. then they are waiting weeks to see different people in the diabetic team. When you learn to drive you have so many lessons before you take your test but it seems diabetics do not get lessons in how to look after themselves.

Diabetes takes 10% of the health budget but this will rise if new diabetics are not given the tools they need to obtain a good BG level. We know what diabetes can lead to and this is where a large portion of the 10% goes, if you go to your GP and he thinks you may have cancer you are seen within two weeks. This has lead to people to beat cancer which is good news for everyone, could this not be applied to diabetes where you see a consultant and a diabetic nurse within two weeks. People who go home with diabetes do not know how to adjust their insulin when high and do not know the dangers of keytones.

I am aware off the struggle in the NHS with lack of staff but diabetes is rising at a rate where if we do not get control that there will be more people in hospital where there are so few beds. The government can keep giving money to the NHS but we need more consultants and nurses who could be first point of contact for new diabetics. I would not like to think how much money the NHS has spent on my care having had treatment on my eyes for 2 years, 4 ops on hand and elbow and a SPK transplant. This is without many stays in hospital, medication, appointments and mental health care, i am aware that diabetes has come along way since 1979 when i was chosen.

What does the future hold for people with diabetes i do not know but if the number of staff is rising is not the same as diabetes is, we will be putting extra pressure on the current staff who are already under pressure and every person has their braking point. When i had my transplant the nurses were fantastic but they could be working 13 hours without a break, a night shift with only one qualified nurse and 2 TA on a ward where their could be over transplants room and they had to look after all of them. I seen one of the nurses last year om a appointment and asked why she was there, she went on to tell me that 6 of them had left the ward for jobs on other wards due to the stress and lack of staff.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . angry with the way that people who get type 1 seem to be getting very little help from hospitals and GP's.

I think a lot of type IIs get even less, but I'm not trying to suggest anyone gets more or less tha anyone else but I bet there are differences around the country.

Diabetes takes 10% of the health budget but this will rise if new diabetics are not given the tools they need to obtain a good BG level.

Your quite right to be concerned about the cost of diabetes. If you're type I, there is no option, you need the insulin, type II is a different picture. I personally try to help my condition by eating a low carb diet but I personally know 4 type II diabetics, 3 are related to me, father, brother and a cousin. None of whom make any efforts to change the amount of carbs they eat. It's their complications that will use up most of that 10% (£14 billion ?). In fact my father has already had a toe amputated, mainly because he wouldn't go to the doctor in the first place and he is now in hospital again with a UTI, because he wouldn't go to the doctor in the first place. I know for a fact that his DN has told him to eat what he likes and just keep injecting the same amount of insulin every time. He is 91, and one of the 20% using 80% of the resources, conveniently complying with the Pareto principle.

What does the future hold for people with diabetes

We can only hope that more and more people will use their intelligence, take their condition more seriously and look at alternatives. Coming onto this forum would be a good start.

Reactions: gemma_T1

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I know for a fact that his DN has told him to eat what he likes and just keep injecting the same amount of insulin every time. He is 91, and one of the 20% using 80% of the resources, conveniently complying with the Pareto principle.
My father is 88, and I've just found out that he's been moved from metforin 1500mg per day to glicazide. No suggestion that he should do any blood tests, and no information about hypos. (For what it's worth, his diet is moderately low carb, less than 100g per day.) From reading these forums, the lack of care for new UK insulin dependant T1s is scary, but the lack of care for T2s is absolute.

Reactions: Alison54321

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately the situation here (in Canada) is also very similar Neither T1 or T2 are getting the support they need, our health care system is being stretched to the breaking point as well. Our national society for diabetes in still not talking about reducing carbs for T2, just eating whole grains.