New type 1 diagnosis

mick196572

Hi. Just diagnosed as type 1. Not had follow up appointment yet. Just started on nova rapid. Looking for any advice. Blood sugar still high. All so new and i dont know anything yet

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @mick196572

When were you diagnosed and what have they told you about your insulin? When is your follow up and is it with hospital, GP, consultant or nurse?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @mick196572

Welcome to the forum - am tagging @daisy1 for our new members information :)

I can also move your thread to the type 1 section for more visibility with our t1 members, let me know ?

As a forum we can't guide you on your insulin doses, your team should be your first call, so please speak to them on guidance in getting your levels down. It will take time to adjust to insulin as generally if you've just been diagnosed then you've more than likely had this a while. The best thing you can do is to become an expert and learn as much as you can, a good book is 'Think like a pancreas' written by a type 1, also had a read through the forum too, if it's not too over whelming for you, we are here too to talk to, am sure there will be lots of questions.

mick196572

Hi @mick196572

Welcome to the forum - am tagging @daisy1 for our new members information :)

I can also move your thread to the type 1 section for more visibility with our t1 members, let me know ?

As a forum we can't guide you on your insulin doses, your team should be your first call, so please speak to them on guidance in getting your levels down. It will take time to adjust to insulin as generally if you've just been diagnosed then you've more than likely had this a while. The best thing you can do is to become an expert and learn as much as you can, a good book is 'Think like a pancreas' written by a type 1, also had a read through the forum too, if it's not too over whelming for you, we are here too to talk to, am sure there will be lots of questions.
That would be great thank you. You are right. I am trying to get as much info as possible. To educate myself . Hoping this forum will help.

I had a Dka . Thats how it all began. Well thats when i found out

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello @mick196572 That's been moved now :)

The good thing is that you're on insulin now so can only get better, it's a bit of a shock, I remember my diagnosis very well, that was over 7 years ago now. Best thing I did was just to read and take any course offered, also coming here to talk to other t1's, I felt pretty lonely with this but have moved on alot since then. Having t1 shouldn't stop you doing anything, it just requires a little more thought and preparation that's all.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @mick196572
It really is unbelievable how little info is given out to new type 1s.
As @Diakat has said....when was you diagnosed? What was you told about dosing for food?

mick196572

Hello @mick196572 That's been moved now :)

The good thing is that you're on insulin now so can only get better, it's a bit of a shock, I remember my diagnosis very well, that was over 7 years ago now. Best thing I did was just to read and take any course offered, also coming here to talk to other t1's, I felt pretty lonely with this but have moved on alot since then. Having t1 shouldn't stop you doing anything, it just requires a little more thought and preparation that's all.
Thank you

mick196572

Hi @mick196572
As @Diakat has said....when was you diagnosed? What was you told about dosing for food?
Diagnosed on 4th of Feb. Shown how to inject . Not given sny info really for diet etc. Dont have a appointment with diabetic nurse until the 22nd . I just want to learn everything i can to help myself

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Diagnosed on 4th of Feb. Shown how to inject . Not given sny info really for diet etc. Dont have a appointment with diabetic nurse until the 22nd . I just want to learn everything i can to help myself

A vast amount to take in at the mo AND a bit/lot overwhelming! What are your bloods like at the mo? What doses where you told to give yourself? How are you feeling about the diagnosis?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mick196572, it would be good to get an idea of the regime you've been put on. You mentioned Novorapid but have you also been put on a basal type insulin either once or twice a day? Have you been told to take fixed doses to begin with before your follow up appointment or have they really shown you the mechanics of injecting and sent you off into the world to find out what works or doesn't first hand? I totally get it's all overwhelming to begin with.

Hi @mick196572
As I recall the first night out of hospital it felt like being sent off to drive a car with no concept of clutch control.

mick196572

A vast amount to take in at the mo AND a bit/lot overwhelming! What are your bloods like at the mo? What doses where you told to give yourself? How are you feeling about the diagnosis?
If i am honest was in shock for a while . Getting used to it now. I am on 3 lots of nova rapid i have 12 and 18 of lantus at night. I just think its bad they dont tell you anything. I want to learn all i can to make it as good as i can

mick196572

Hi @mick196572, it would be good to get an idea of the regime you've been put on. You mentioned Novorapid but have you also been put on a basal type insulin either once or twice a day? Have you been told to take fixed doses to begin with before your follow up appointment or have they really shown you the mechanics of injecting and sent you off into the world to find out what works or doesn't first hand? I totally get it's all overwhelming to begin with.

As I recall the first night out of hospital it felt like being sent off to drive a car with no concept of clutch control.
Have nova rapid with meals and lantus at night before bed . Sorry dont know what basal type is

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have nova rapid with meals and lantus at night before bed . Sorry dont know what basal type is

No worries, I see your previous post and it looks like a fixed regime (are they the same doses of Novorapid for every meal?) . Lantus is your basal insulin which you take at night.

mick196572

No worries, I see your previous post and it looks like a fixed regime (are they the same doses of Novorapid for every meal?) . Lantus is your basal insulin which you take at night.
Yes all the same dosage at moment. Still have levels between 15 and 21 though

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

You are testing your bloods before food and 2 hours after? What foods are you eating and what results are you getting? Sorry for all the questions :)

D

Deleted Account

Welcome to our exclusive little club.
Initiation may seem a little harsh at the start but you'll get used to us and what unites us.

There is loads of information around this site - not just the forum.
One thing that will become very obvious very soon is that type 1 and type 2 are different conditions with different treatments sharing the same name. It is often said that 9 out of 10 people with diabetes have type 2. This is reflected in the diabetes.co.uk forum. As a result, some of what you will reads will not be relevant. The introductory message from daisy1 (which someone else has mentioned) is long and describes some of these differences. The focus of the message is on type 2 - that is not to say, it is not useful but don't feel you need to stop eating anything with carbs or that you can manage type 1 with diet alone.

One of the first pieces of advice I was given was that type 1 diabetes should not stop me doing what I want. And it hasn't.
Google something like "Famous people with type 1 diabetes" and you will get some idea what you can do with it.

Ask any questions you want ... but don't expect to learn everything on day 1. Most of us are still learning, 10, 15, 20, 30, ... years after diagnosis.

Reactions: Jollymon

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes all the same dosage at moment. Still have levels between 15 and 21 though
They'll bring you down slowly - too fast can damage the blood vessels in your eyes.

Are you doing daily phone calls with the nursing staff to check how you're doing?

mick196572

They'll bring you down slowly - too fast can damage the blood vessels in your eyes.

Are you doing daily phone calls with the nursing staff to check how you're doing?
Every couple of days unless i have any issues . So does it take a long time on same dosage to bring down then? I have very blurry vision as well

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello @mick196572 the blurry vision is normal and will disappear in the next week or so, in regards to bringing your levels down, yes it should be done gradually to help you adjust to 'normal' blood glucose ranges.

It may not be possible on your current doses to bring them down so hence why regular reviews to adjust are important, in time you will take ownership of your control and do this yourself as you'll know how your body responds to insulin/carbs better. A bit of a curve ball to throw into the ring is that you may experience a 'honeymoon' phase when your pancreas becomes a little less stressed and squirts out some insulin too - this can last a few months but is temporary and you will find that your insulin needs can vary alot during this time, I found it a pain and couldn't wait to become more dependent on insulin as my control stabilised more then.

Try to keep a diary too if you can as this stage it's very useful to track your insulin taken/times and blood glucose readings, you can use an app like 'diasend' to record and this can be emailed to your nurse/team with your results if you're having a phone conversation to review, it gives them a better picture of what's going on and will ultimately help you manage this better.