1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New type 1 help!?

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by Jordan Brandon, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Jordan Brandon

Jordan Brandon · Member

I found out I had type one on January the 27th when I was taken to hospital with the final stage of ketoacidosis. I've had so much information thrown at me since leaving hospital, I know how to treat a hypo and how to do injections and what to eat but is there anything else I need to know it would be very helpful thankyou? X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. AngelaY

AngelaY · Member

As long as u do what the doctor tells u to do, maintain a healthy diet do some exercise to maintain ur weight ( it's also good for ur BG) when u crave something, take a little bite, don't wait until u can't resist it anymore. U might end up eating more than ur body can take
    Good luck :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. Shadowlance

Shadowlance · Newbie

And don't freak out. Sure the injections can be annoying, but you can still live a normal life. Since I was diagnosed 10 years ago at the age of 23 I've gotten married, and found a job that requires me to travel around the world and I can do all that by taking my needles and indulin with me.

It's what you make it really and I've made it a minor inconvenience that isn't going to stop me living my life.

4. Jordan Brandon

Jordan Brandon · Member

5. Smoshy_EJ

Smoshy_EJ · Newbie

DONT DO WHAT I DID! I was good for about 6 weeks and then after I got off fixed doses I snaked without insulin all the time, got into hospital nearly with ketoacidosis and went in denial about it. im only 13 and I got this 2 years ago. If you do the right things like insulin, levimere a stable diet and keep a log you will be fine :) im getting better as we speak. It is easy and becomes like breathing after a while. you just get used to it,

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook