New Type 1 - loads of questions

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a fortnight ago. Slowly getting my head around it all and have loads of questions...would appreciate any answers from those with more experience.
1) Over the last couple of days my blood sugar has been at the lower end of the normal range -4.2-4.5 - but I've felt sweaty, hot and shaky. Is this a hypo even if sugar is above 4? What should I eat if it's not a hypo?
2) not every day, but every few days I am so hungry! Is this normal?
3) my vision is very blurry, to the point I've not been able to work as I can't read even with my PC screen at 400%! I know this will be temporary but how long should I expect it to last?
Thanks for reading.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum Goldmum:)

1) When your bg levels have been running high for some time you can experience what they call 'false hypo's' when your bg levels return to normal but aren't at hypo's, these symptoms will settle down over the next few days/weeks.

2) Usually pre-diagnosis we lose a lot of weight, so when we start on insulin the body wants to replace this lost weight.............hence why we are hungry, I remember this well after I was diagnosed and could eat for England.

3) Your vision should return to normal over the coming weeks once your bg is stabilised, if it doesn't its worth getting your eyes checked.

Reactions: 4 people

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Noblehead - that's all very reassuring. Bit gutted I'm probably going to regain my lost weight though!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Noblehead - that's all very reassuring. Bit gutted I'm probably going to regain my lost weight though!

Resist the temptation and just be careful what you eat, its goes without saying if you consume more calories than you burn then you'll put on weight, but try not to worry about that for now and concentrate on getting your bg levels under control, you've come to the right place for advice as there's plenty of type 1's here with a whole wealth of knowledge and experience.

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Goldmum. Like you I'm a new T1, but I'm on mixed insulin, which suits me at the moment. I was told that 4 is the floor, but through experience I've found 4.2 is my floor. Jelly babies or glucose tabs are now always to hand. Noblehead is probably quite right in that this may well have been a false hypo for you at this early stage. I have now learned to keep my bg levels between no less than 5 and no more than 9, so that I avoid hypos and complications. However, I'm only human and occasionally hit 10 :(. As far as gaining weight, I was delighted to get back to my pre-diabetic weight as I had lost too much, but if you don't want to gain weight, there are plenty of low carb snacks you could try. I'm sure other members will be along with their recommendations. Best of luck on your journey, it's a rocky road, but we all get there in the end. :)

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Goldmum and welcome. I was like you in respect of the blurry vision. Diagnosed Type 1 at age 55 after being admitted to hospital with DKA. My eye sight was perfect and I did not need glasses it was my high sugars causing the blurred vision. I bought a pair of "reading glasses" from Superdrug and found these invaluable until my vision returned to normal after about 6 weeks after diagnosis and I began to get the hang of managing my blood sugars. Good luck, take care and you are in wonderful company on here. :) x

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies. It's been great finding this forum - so much information.

June_ C - I'm trying to keep to low carb snacks - nuts and berries - as even low GI things like oatcakes send my blood sugar up. What do you snack on?

Coco44 - I got some Superdrug specs at the weekend and they're helping a lot. I've been working a bit from home this week. I'd just spent a small fortune on varifocals before I was diagnosed and the consultant I saw at the hospital said I might not need them when my sugar levels settle down!
Finding exercise a challenge too - I've been doing a combination of cardio and resistance training - sometimes my blood sugar really drops afterwards and other times in shoots up to 16+. I'm just keeping a record at the moment so I can show the diabetes nurse at my next appointment.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
My vision changed during diagnosis and I too had purchased prescription glasses. A couple of months after I had purchased them I took them back to spec savers and explained the situation. Thy did another eye test and changed the lenses free of charge.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Goldmum, welcome to the forum and to the diabetes club! It sounds like you are off to a great start! Unfortunately I can't give too much information about being newly diagnosed, as I was diagnosed at the age of three, 25 years ago. However, could I suggest that you search YouTube for videos by Dr Troy Stapleton? He is an Australian doctor, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2012. He goes into a lot of detail about how he came to terms with his diabetes, and how he controls it very well. Best wishes, and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you like :)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
June_ C - I'm trying to keep to low carb snacks - nuts and berries - as even low GI things like oatcakes send my blood sugar up. What do you snack on?
I don't tend to snack too much, but when I feel the munchies coming on, babybel cheese does the trick and to make it more interesting I also eat bacon with the cheese. You've probably seen it in supermarkets, it's cooked, crispy, streaky bacon. I used to sprinkle a few broken up pieces over baked beans, but beans are a no no now as they're too carby. Another favourite is pork scratchings, but only now and again as they don't do my cholesterol any favours! Like you, I also nibble on nuts and berries and as a special treat, a square or two of dark chocolate - 75% cocoa or more.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Goldmum,

I was recently diagnosed with T1 as a 40 year old and the scariest thing for me was the blurred vision. Luckily once my BS levels stabilised my vision has slowly been getting better. It's been about 6 weeks now since I first noticed the change in eyesight and it's almost back to normal. No more "old man specs for me" ;)

Keep careful control of your BS levels and your vision will sort itself out :)

Good luck!