New type 2 likely.

Dax40

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

I am a 40 year old male of Middle Eastern origin and was told by my GP that my Hba1c is 50. He asked me to have a second blood test 2 weeks after the first to confirm now waiting to be officially diagnosed.

I had no symptoms at all was asked by my gp if I did have the classic symptoms.

My journey began a few years ago where I purchased a Blood glucose monitor to test my BG, do to family history of Diabetes. My father had diabetes, so did his mother and my maternal grandfather. My father(62) passed away few months ago from sudden cardiac arrest in his sleep. He had Diabetes with insulin (not sure if he was t1 or t2), he also suffered from High blood pressure and was a heavy smoker with copd. I contribute his heart attack mainly do to his heavy smoking, but Diabetes likely had some added contribution.

Few years ago when I use to check my blood sugar it was in the 4-5.5 range. Month ago I checked my BG and saw that it was in the 7.5 range in the morning and by late afternoon dropping to 6.4. Checked for few days and got worried as it was high in the morning and averaging 7mmol during the day. My diet was mainly fast food and high carbs. I had gained a lot of weight in the past year, was at 92kg at 5'8.

I decided to go on Low Carb diet and it was something I use to do before but not done for 2 years. After a week my BG dropped to average of 6mmol with morning been between 4.4 to 5.6. The highest I have seen LC so far was 7.9 2 hours after eating. My blood sugar monitor app says my average for the past 2 weeks is 6mmol.

I have lost 3kg in past 4 weeks. I did have a cheat day a week ago, ate Chicken Burger with Chips at 10:30pm and 2 hours later BG was 10. 1 and 5.9 at 7am.

My plan is to lower my Hba1c with LC and weight loss and not take meds.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s similar to my story. In 2014 went for a healthy heart check, Al round check for over 40’s. My hba1c came back with a diabetic reading. I was in shock as I’d had no symptoms. I had a 2nd test which confirmed it. I was told I would have to go on medication, but would give me 3 months to see what I could do. Found this forum and started to follow a low carb diet. I downloaded an app to calculate how my carbs I was eating. I still use one to this day. I use an app called daily carb. You can also log your bg readings, weight, cholesterol etc. I would recommend you getting one of these. After 3 months I had another hba1c and although it had reduced it was still a diabetic reading but the nurse was impressed and said she would give me another 3 months.

My hba1c s are 40 / 41. I eat 50 carbs per day.

I was eating 200 grams of carbs per day previously. Bread & potatoes were my downfall.

At diagnosis I weighed 8 1/2 stone, height 5 ft 2inches

I would recommend you gradually reduce your carb intake, I didn’t and went into “carb flu”, shaking and sweating. And keep a record of what you’re eating with an app. Then you can see your progress

Dax40

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s similar to my story. In 2014 went for a healthy heart check, Al round check for over 40’s. My hba1c came back with a diabetic reading. I was in shock as I’d had no symptoms. I had a 2nd test which confirmed it. I was told I would have to go on medication, but would give me 3 months to see what I could do. Found this forum and started to follow a low carb diet. I downloaded an app to calculate how my carbs I was eating. I still use one to this day. I use an app called daily carb. You can also log your bg readings, weight, cholesterol etc. I would recommend you getting one of these. After 3 months I had another hba1c and although it had reduced it was still a diabetic reading but the nurse was impressed and said she would give me another 3 months.

My hba1c s are 40 / 41. I eat 50 carbs per day.

I was eating 200 grams of carbs per day previously. Bread & potatoes were my downfall.

At diagnosis I weighed 8 1/2 stone, height 5 ft 2inches

I would recommend you gradually reduce your carb intake, I didn’t and went into “carb flu”, shaking and sweating. And keep a record of what you’re eating with an app. Then you can see your progress
Thanks for your reply. I have done low carb many times before and have a general idea of how much carbs are in foods from years of researching what I should eat and not eat on LC, but thanks for your recommendations.

I believe my Diabetes likely happened in the past year with my weight gain and based on what I read I am in the early stages and not very high Hba1c. With diet and weight loss hope to lower it and after getting it low to stick to a relatively low carb but not as restricted as it is now 20g a day. I will likely have cheats every fortnight and monitor my BG be sure not out of control.

Last edited:
Reactions: filly

Dax40

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update regarding my average BG for the last 2 weeks.

5.8 :)

Dax40

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ate 2 carb killa bars at different times and had minimal BG rise. Was 5.1 and only went up to 5.2

I read for some people it gives sugar spikes.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ate 2 carb killa bars at different times and had minimal BG rise. Was 5.1 and only went up to 5.2

I read for some people it gives sugar spikes.
I checked the carb level on those when I first saw them. If my memory is working properly, there's around 40g carb in each bar. Not for me.

Reactions: Dax40 and filly

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
there's around 40g carb
Most of the carbs in a carb killa bar are polyols. Although polyols are carbs they are not sugars, making them a sugar free sweetener. In a 60g bar there are 18g of carbs 15g of which are polyols, making each bar effectively contain 3g of carbs
But after 8 years of a low carb, sugar free diet I personally think they are revoltingly sweet.

Reactions: Dax40 and KennyA

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the carbs in a carb killa bar are polyols. Although polyols are carbs they are not sugars, making them a sugar free sweetener. In a 60g bar there are 18g of carbs 15g of which are polyols, making each bar effectively contain 3g of carbs
But after 8 years of a low carb, sugar free diet I personally think they are revoltingly sweet.
Although they are polyols they are specifically one called maltitol (as are most bars) and maltitol still spikes a lot of us as badly as sugar does and causes a lot of people gastric upsets too. Other polyols are less likely to have these effects, erythritol for example rarely does either. Moral of this story is check which ones effect you in what way if you want to use them.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
maltitol still spikes a lot of us as badly as sugar does
Just emphasises why we tell people to test for themselves. The one I tried had absolutely no effect on my blood level or my stomach, it just tasted disgusting

Reactions: Dax40 and HSSS

Dax40

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not something I will eat often once in a while, as they are expensive compared to a snickers bar. The taste was for me ok, not great as real chocolate bar.

It did not raise my BG or give me any stomach issues. Some sweeteners in candy's that I had tried years ago did give me upset stomach.

Later that day I ate 10 grilled chicken wings which did raise my BG to 7.6. Guessing the excess protein was converted to glucose.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Later that day I ate 10 grilled chicken wings which did raise my BG to 7.6. Guessing the excess protein was converted to glucose.
did they have a coating? I’ve recently discovered even “plain” meat and chicken are getting dextrose and the like injected etc to make them taste better! So now I even check these when I’m shopping somewhere new and periodically on regular buys to check to changes.

Reactions: Dax40

Dax40

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
did they have a coating? I’ve recently discovered even “plain” meat and chicken are getting dextrose and the like injected etc to make them taste better! So now I even check these when I’m shopping somewhere new and periodically on regular buys to check to changes.
It was from Sainsburys plain raw chicken wings.

I did coat them with mixed spices like peri peri and Chipotle flakes. I don't think the seasoning that I coated with would have had that much effect.

I am guessing the 2 high protein bars and chicken wings likely was excess protein for the day. I have read excess protein converts to glucose.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not something I will eat often once in a while, as they are expensive compared to a snickers bar. The taste was for me ok, not great as real chocolate bar.

It did not raise my BG or give me any stomach issues. Some sweeteners in candy's that I had tried years ago did give me upset stomach.

A lot of commercially cooked chicken routinely has sugar added to brown the skin. Any added coating - BBQ sauce in particular - will probably have sugar in it as well.

Dax40

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got a call from my GP today about my second Hba1c test and it's 42. Was a little surprised that it was lower in the second test from 50 to 42 in 2 weeks. So now I am diagnosed as Prediabetic.

The GP recommended I continue to lose weight and watch my diet and blood sugar. Was told will have another test next year.

I am little relieved and good that I catched it early so can make changes with my diet and weight to prevent T2.