New user of Lyxumia

Mandy4266

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi Been a type 2 since 2009, but my sugars have just gone berserk since I had a bad dose of flu 2 years ago. So now as of today I have started Lyxumia 10mcg, was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on whether this is a good thing or bad. I do need to lose some weight aswell. Thanks

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 as she has some good info she can post for people new to the forum.

When I am prescribed something new I check it out on the below website as it has very good info on side effects. However this US based site does not yet have info on Lyxumia because it is not yet approved by the US FDA. It was approved in the EU in 2013:
http://www.drugs.com/history/lyxumia.html

It's in the same family as Byetta and Victoza, so you may be able to find info about this type of drug by doing a search on the forums for those terms.

You can probably reduce your blood glucose levels (BGs) and lose weight by changing what you eat - lower carb, slightly higher fats. It may be possible to come off Lyxumia, then your other diabetes meds once your BGs are low enough for long enough.

I'm interested in learning about the links between the flu and diabetes, so I was wondering - was your flu diagnosed by your doctor and by any chance were tests done to say which strain of flu it was? People with diabetes are encouraged to get the flu vaccine every year because we are at greater risk of complications, so I was wondering if your doctor recommended this for you before or since? The most common flu strains circulating that year are in the vaccine, which gives about 80% protection against those strains. The vaccine can't protect against other strains but it is worth getting because of the strains it covers.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

MDAVIES65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Mandy,
I have been on Lyxumia for just over 12 months now. At first I was terrified about doing my own injections, but now I'm a dab hand at them. I have not had any side effects with the drug. I have also lost just over 2 stone in weight and my waist size has come down a 44 inch to a 36 inch. This is not just to do with the drug, but eating better and doing more exercise ( I have a 30 minute fast walk every day). I am now on th 20mcg dose, but which you start after your 14 days on the 10mcg.
The only thing I have found is that neither my GP or pharmacist had much knowledge of it.
I do my injection first thing in the morning, and have found this to be the right time for me.

You need to keep an eye on your blood sugars, especially if you are also on Gliclazises as well. In the first week of starting the injections I was getting hypo symptoms, but a call to my diabetic nurse helped to resolve this.

Michael