New User- Ready to give up

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I am a male. I often wear suits when meeting clients. While i know it shouldn't matter if someone sees the pump it is something I would prefer to keep hidden.
Even some simple things like having a shower or sitting on the loo seem really awkward

I had same thoughts as you, it put me off pumping for about 5 years until in the end I just could not control the dawn issues with BG's. I keep my pump in my shirt pocket, no one notices it. I did once get asked when adjusting manually why I was using a pager :).

For sports I use a necktie with the pump in middle of my chest, I've also used an arm band too but not often.

Not familiar with the sensor aspect. Do they send readings from your bg meter to pump? Would this remove the need to take pump out of waist pouch/ pocket etc? Or do you need to do this regardless to input by reading, carb count and to start the bolus?

D

Deleted Account

If you decide not to use that pump and hand it back the pump will be dumped so a complete waste of money
Do you really mean if someone hands back a pump it gets thrown out?
That surprises me especially as I noticed the last loaner pump I got for a trip overseas was marked as "Refurbished".
If they can refurbish pumps, I don't understand why they cannot issue one which has been used for a short period of time to someone else.
Sure, it is not possible to get back the money spent on training someone to use a pump but that is a small cost compared to the cost of the pump. And that is without considering the cost of the pump supplies which is significant over the life of a pump.

I was lucky that I, eventually, took to the pump but if I didn't, I would be considering diabetes management over cost when thinking about handing it back/

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not familiar with the sensor aspect. Do they send readings from your bg meter to pump? Would this remove the need to take pump out of waist pouch/ pocket etc? Or do you need to do this regardless to input by reading, carb count and to start the bolus?

I use medtronic sensors which interact with the medtronic pump sending readings to the pump every 5 minutes and alarming me (through a threshold I have chosen) every time the bg is below or above a certain limit. In my case I have put 4.4 as low limit and 9 as high one. With the sensors the Medtronic 640g can also suspend your insulin if it expects you’re going to low in the near future.
As far as bolus you will still have to take the pump out of your pocket!

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all the responses. It has been really interesting hearing your own experiences. I suppose with the pump and tubing always attached it is a constant reminder to me about my diabetes. This is a bit foreign to me as in the 10 previous years with Type 1 i never felt it really impacted me and most colleagues would never know which is how i would prefer it to be. My controls are ok. HBA1C was 67 recently. Could be better but not too bad. I am hypo sensitive so always feel it coming on and correct myself.
Something went awry with my pump this morning and the saline seems to have emptied which shouldn't have happened (could have been something I did but don't think no did anything wrong tbh). I am due back in the diabetes centre this afternoon so will ask them about it but would be worrying if anything similar happened if it was insulin in the reservoir.

You can see from the comments almost no one regrets getting a pump once they start using it and their only regret is not doing it sooner. You have lots of room to improve your A1C and I think a pump will make it easier for you to do that - if you put the work in. What I found about MDI was that there would be lots of times I was running higher than normal blood sugars and couldn't do anything about it because I would have to take a dose that would drop me low (since pens can only dose in 0.5 or 1 unit) or would have to take an injection around other people which I didn't want to do. You will be much more likely to correct every time you are high, even slightly high, which is a huge advantage the pump has over shots. I highly recommend wearing the sensor as well, it's too hard to know what's going on from just a finger test now and then!

wendy0804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I got a pump last August but chose the OMNIPOD which is completely wireless. Pod attached to body, hand held monitor in handbag. Much easier to use than the wire/tubing connections. Don't know if this is unusual to my Health Authority but widely the option of choice via my diabetes nurse. Good luck. It is worth persevering with it.

Reactions: Picci

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Do you really mean if someone hands back a pump it gets thrown out?
Pumps are classified as one use medical devices, and as such cannot be passed on to another user by the hospital. That doesn't stop them being returned to Medtronic who can then refurb them and pass them out again.

@Dublindiabetic - the other thing to be aware of with the 640G is that the linked blood glucose meter also acts as a remote bolus button, so you can dial up a bolus and administer it. It doesn't have a carb wizard as part of that, but if discretion is an issue, that is always an option.

jasonbailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've just picked up on this topic. I am a relatively new user of an insulin pump although I did give it a go a couple of years ago and was having the same issues as you. As I said, I've been back on the pump for a month today and I have to say although there are still some teething issues I wouldn't want to go back now to a pen. I'm using the Accuchek Insight and I've purchased a few items that help with the clothing issues you describe i.e. belt holder, garter (I know!!!) for night time - that's so much easier than the pump just hanging off you in bed.

Stick with it, I am sure it will become second nature.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
A few people at work know I have a pump. I was having tea with a few of them. I was being discrete putting in a guestimate of carbs under the table. One said I know what you are doing and it looks suss, do it on the table. Most of the people I work with are frustrated propeller heads (they have been moved into project and management positions). I keep the line tucked in my pocket when in supermarkets etc as there are lots of snagging opportunities. Please give it 3 months with insulin. I had a lot of concerns sleeping with it as I toss and turn. First night I clipped it to my PJ shorts and I slept on it and it was uncomfortable since then I have let it roam free in the bed and no issues at all. On the rare occasion I do get up in the middle of the night I just pick it up even though I'm still pretty much still asleep. Once the pump is adjusted (suggest CGM for the first 4 weeks).

D

Deleted Account

belt holder, garter (I know!!!) for night time - that's so much easier than the pump just hanging off you in bed.
I use a Hid In pump belt at night which I wrap around my leg twice to wear like a garter rather than purchasing a dedicated one.
Definitely better for me than letting it roam free on the end of It's tether/tube: left to its own devices it seems to end up (uncomfortably) underneath me.
And it doesn't want to stay in a pj pocket.

Reactions: jasonbailey

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am, hopefully, getting a pump soon. After being T1D for nearly 46 years and over 85,000 injections. The chance of only having 1 cannula insertion every 2/3 days seems like bliss compared to a minimum of 4 jabs per day. I have never been 1 to hide my diabetes and will check my blood and inject anywhere

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It’s something I’m not bothered about, my pump is usually in my pocket, or suspended from my belt. Why should it bother me ? I make sure I tuck the tube away as much as possible, not because I’m embarrassed but in case it snags, life is complicated enough, get on with it, live large and enjoy it.