Newbie...from panic to hopeful.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody,
Newly diagnosed Scotsman with type 2. On 1st of May, my doctor insisted on blood tests and I believed he saved me.
He phoned me next day at 9am telling me to get to his office immediately and I was then to go straight to the hospital as my blood test was 113, he said one of the highest he had ever seen and I was at risk of keto-acidosis or dropping dead from a heart attack or stroke.
It was the wake up call I needed. I am 46 and I wasn’t ready to check out yet and I wasn’t about to leave my wife as a widow at such a young age.
I was seen immediately by doctors and nurses in the hospital and since then, the Irish health service has been really great with me.
I was initially put on 2 diaglyc in the morning and then 1 metformin in the morning and another metformin in the evening.
To cut a long story short, today, 24th of September, my Hba1c is 46 and the nurse tells me that’s excellent.
After my diagnosis, I gave up sugar. Totally. No sweets, chocolates, cakes, sugary drinks. And you must understand that I am a sugar addict. Hiding packets of chocolate bars and cakes around the house, then tucking in to it all after my wife goes to bed. I could eat a packet of chocolate biscuits or a multipack of chocolate bars in 2 minutes, no problem!
I’ve tried diets in the past and done well on WW and Atkins but of course always put weight back on.
So, after all these years, I’ve finally reinforced it to myself that all my problems lie with sugar.
MEDICATION - As my blood sugar got waaay better, I found that Ino longer needed the diaglyc as it was actually giving me hypos every day, plunging my blood sugar too low. So I stopped taking it about 2 months ago and later my doctor agreed with this.
For a time I found that the metformin played havoc with my digestive system. Chronic diarrhea every day and often violent wind! That sounds funny but not when it is roaring inside your guts like the creature from Alien.
That seems to have died down now, it may come and go, we’ll have to wait and see. But because of the upset, I cut back the metformin from twice a day to once a day and that seems to be going ok.
I am 5’10 and was 18 stone, 3 lb. (255lbs). By cutting out sugar and doing very little exercise I am now 16 stone, 10lb. (234lbs)
So, 21 lbs by getting rid of sugar.
BUT BUT BUT...I see myself getting a bit cocky and going back to my old ways. I have started eating chocolate again now that the serious panic is over, even hiding chocolate again. I find that, if I cut sugar out completely, I quickly get used to it and I don’t miss it and I focus on health. But, if I have a little bit of chocolate or sugar bars, cake, etc... I want more. And more. And I start thinking how and where can I get more. My health focus is still there but to a much lower degree. It’s like my sugar craving overrides everything. It absolutely is an addiction. Take away sugar completely, I thrive and I don’t miss it. Give me a little bit and I want more, more...MORE!
So going forward, now that my readings are good, my medications are down and I’ve lost a little bit of weight (yippee), I consider my own personal journey to be is stage 2. Now, I have to quit sugar completely again and get exercising. I have just joined a gym...the main hurdle is getting off my lazy ass and actually going to the gym! If I do, I’ll lose lots more weight. My bloods should improve again, I’ll be much healthier, I’ll feel better, I’ll fit into nice clothes and I’ll be happier with everything.
But if I have sugar...I’ll crave it, I’ll convince myself to have more of it, to hide a stash of it, watch as my bloods go up and down, weight loss stops and reverses and all the woe that goes with it.
So, cmon man, chocolate bars are nice but you just cannot handle them. Get rid of them totally and everything else will fall into place!!! (I wrote that last sentence to myself).
To help me get kick started, I make a vow here and now on the forum to quit sugar again tomorrow morning!
I’ll start to post regularly on here, maybe like a diary. Even if it’s only me reading it, it should help and every little bit helps!
I hope there might be some info on here that’ll be of use to someone.
So, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
And good luck everyone in your own personal journeys.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for persevering (most of the time) and congratulations with the way you handled this in the past 6 months!

Not sure if you've already had the piece of useful information we like to give new members on the forum, so here it is (possibly again): http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Now don't forget to shout out on here when the call of the chocolate gets strong again, we're happy to provide a virtual hug, shoulder to lean on, or kick up the backside :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I have found a lot of help and support here. People are very willing to listen advise and cheer for good news. Since this is for life I figure any help and support I can get or give is worthwhile.

Welcome

Reactions: CherryAA

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done is the first thing to say. My own journey was from 111 to 35 in four months, and it has remained around that level ever since. However, I was never one for regular sweet stuff. Many find 85% (or higher) cocoa chocolate OK for a treat, but if you think that for you it wouldn't end there best to drop it altogether I guess.

Cameron2337

Hello everybody,
Newly diagnosed Scotsman with type 2. On 1st of May, my doctor insisted on blood tests and I believed he saved me.
He phoned me next day at 9am telling me to get to his office immediately and I was then to go straight to the hospital as my blood test was 113, he said one of the highest he had ever seen and I was at risk of keto-acidosis or dropping dead from a heart attack or stroke.
It was the wake up call I needed. I am 46 and I wasn’t ready to check out yet and I wasn’t about to leave my wife as a widow at such a young age.
I was seen immediately by doctors and nurses in the hospital and since then, the Irish health service has been really great with me.
I was initially put on 2 diaglyc in the morning and then 1 metformin in the morning and another metformin in the evening.
To cut a long story short, today, 24th of September, my Hba1c is 46 and the nurse tells me that’s excellent.
After my diagnosis, I gave up sugar. Totally. No sweets, chocolates, cakes, sugary drinks. And you must understand that I am a sugar addict. Hiding packets of chocolate bars and cakes around the house, then tucking in to it all after my wife goes to bed. I could eat a packet of chocolate biscuits or a multipack of chocolate bars in 2 minutes, no problem!
I’ve tried diets in the past and done well on WW and Atkins but of course always put weight back on.
So, after all these years, I’ve finally reinforced it to myself that all my problems lie with sugar.
MEDICATION - As my blood sugar got waaay better, I found that Ino longer needed the diaglyc as it was actually giving me hypos every day, plunging my blood sugar too low. So I stopped taking it about 2 months ago and later my doctor agreed with this.
For a time I found that the metformin played havoc with my digestive system. Chronic diarrhea every day and often violent wind! That sounds funny but not when it is roaring inside your guts like the creature from Alien.
That seems to have died down now, it may come and go, we’ll have to wait and see. But because of the upset, I cut back the metformin from twice a day to once a day and that seems to be going ok.
I am 5’10 and was 18 stone, 3 lb. (255lbs). By cutting out sugar and doing very little exercise I am now 16 stone, 10lb. (234lbs)
So, 21 lbs by getting rid of sugar.
BUT BUT BUT...I see myself getting a bit cocky and going back to my old ways. I have started eating chocolate again now that the serious panic is over, even hiding chocolate again. I find that, if I cut sugar out completely, I quickly get used to it and I don’t miss it and I focus on health. But, if I have a little bit of chocolate or sugar bars, cake, etc... I want more. And more. And I start thinking how and where can I get more. My health focus is still there but to a much lower degree. It’s like my sugar craving overrides everything. It absolutely is an addiction. Take away sugar completely, I thrive and I don’t miss it. Give me a little bit and I want more, more...MORE!
So going forward, now that my readings are good, my medications are down and I’ve lost a little bit of weight (yippee), I consider my own personal journey to be is stage 2. Now, I have to quit sugar completely again and get exercising. I have just joined a gym...the main hurdle is getting off my lazy ass and actually going to the gym! If I do, I’ll lose lots more weight. My bloods should improve again, I’ll be much healthier, I’ll feel better, I’ll fit into nice clothes and I’ll be happier with everything.
But if I have sugar...I’ll crave it, I’ll convince myself to have more of it, to hide a stash of it, watch as my bloods go up and down, weight loss stops and reverses and all the woe that goes with it.
So, cmon man, chocolate bars are nice but you just cannot handle them. Get rid of them totally and everything else will fall into place!!! (I wrote that last sentence to myself).
To help me get kick started, I make a vow here and now on the forum to quit sugar again tomorrow morning!
I’ll start to post regularly on here, maybe like a diary. Even if it’s only me reading it, it should help and every little bit helps!
I hope there might be some info on here that’ll be of use to someone.
So, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
And good luck everyone in your own personal journeys.
Great effort in the first instance and congratulations on recommitting to looking after yourself. I am in a similar situation with a higher hba1c result yesterday resulting in me stating Lantus last night since being off insulin for 2 years. It’s a reality check but if we don’t beat ourselves up and remain positive we can push through the ups and downs we experience along the way.
Best of luck with the journey ahead as we strive for optimum blood sugar control

best wishes to you

regards

Cameron Shaw

Jay 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was the same at the beginning of last year - god knows how many tablets to control the diabetes and insulin at night. I am now insulin free and on metformin only. Weight fluctuates but I am in control. Getting control is the main obstacle in my experience.
Occasional sweet/cake is ok on special occasions but those occasions can't be everyday.

Well Done.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Couldn't agree more about sugar @presidentholmes it's more addictive than cocaine, I watched a documentary once on sugar and the effects on the brain, when patients under trials consumed it, their neural scans showed the brain flashing all over the cerebral cortex, more than any other substance they consumed, it's dangerous stuff, highly addictive and readily available every where..