Newbie. High blood sugars. Advice please.

Leanne Lund

Hi all, just joined. I was looking for some advice. I was asked to attend my GP for a full blood count. I was called the following day stating my blood glucose levels were high at 13.8. So a fasting blood glucose test was arranged. I have been phoned today by my Gp stating that they were still up at 11.2, she said this indicates diabetes and said she would have a discussion with Diabetic Nurse and that was all that was said. Are these levels high and does this indicate which type diabetes (aware I have not been formally diagnosed) just wanted some feedback from people who know a lot about this health condition.
Thank you in advance
Leanne

Reactions: ianpspurs

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are these levels high and does this indicate which type diabetes (aware I have not been formally diagnosed) just wanted some feedback from people who know a lot about this health condition.
Thank you in advance
Leanne

Hi Leanne - Welcome to the forum and this thread in particular. The fasting numbers that you have shared are definitely high and suggest you may be diagnosed with diabetes. Which type of diabetes based on two isolated fasting blood glucose test is unlikely and chances are you will be asked to undergo HbA1c test - This test in a way provides an average of your blood glucose levels over the last 3 months which gives a reasonable indication of whether the high BG readings were one off or have a general trend. At this moment given you have had two test results with high blood sugar it will be prudent to get all tests as soon as you are asked to. You can also start preparing for a change in lifestyle irrespective of what the results say and equip yourself with some more information around this disease - I say this with utmost humility as I did not do that and lived in the dark for nearly 10 years and would hate another person to go through a similar experience as mine. There are some very good resources on this site, but perhaps this post will be quite helpful to get you started:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/