Newbie - Hypo confused

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I am being pedantic but I think we need to be careful saying "you cannot hypo unless you are on BG reducing drugs such as insulin of glyclazide".
I used to say and wrote this until my non diabetic partner bonked half way through a tough cycle ride. I tested his BG 20 minutes AFTER he stopped to recover. He was feeling "much much better". His BG at that time (after some recovery) was 2.9.
Yes, I know this is not the case for someone waking in the night. But it changed my way of thinking. And made him realise the importance of correct fueling.
So, I now try sto say "It is unusual to hypo unless you are in BG reducing drugs ..."

(I did start this comment with "I know am being pedantic...)

You can't in normal activity. Tough cycle rides aren't normal for most of us, and any of us who watch endurance sports will have seen the odd person bonking.

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its maybe worth saying a hypo is below 3.8 - 4 mmol/l, an HbA1C of 71 means your average daily is 11 mmol/l, down from around 14 mmol/l previously.
Its maybe worth saying a hypo is below 3.8 - 4 mmol/l, an HbA1C of 71 means your average daily is 11 mmol/l, down from around 14 mmol/l previously.
Thanks, my wake up is around 5.6% now which is fine. Question, I had a 23 point drop from 94 to 71 between Feb and May. Is it possible to achieve this same level of reduction before my next test in August? I currently take 1000 of Metformin. My nurse gif encouraging me to take another 500 a day but I am nervous as I read it can half some of the benefits of exercise.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can't in normal activity. Tough cycle rides aren't normal for most of us, and any of us who watch endurance sports will have seen the odd person bonking.
I don't disagree. That is why I wrote (twice) that I was being pedantic but also that it is unusual to hypo.
Apologies if I still was not clear.

Reactions: CatsFive

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, my wake up is around 5.6% now which is fine. Question, I had a 23 point drop from 94 to 71 between Feb and May. Is it possible to achieve this same level of reduction before my next test in August? I currently take 1000 of Metformin. My nurse gif encouraging me to take another 500 a day but I am nervous as I read it can half some of the benefits of exercise.
I think what can happen, if you are in the early stages of recovery in type 2 is that your pancreas could still be overproducing insulin being a bit hysterical after being ignored during the build up to diagnosis.
Insulin can prevent energy reserves being released as glucose can't get out of the cells into the bloodstream, so you can have a hypo by natural means, aided by the Metformin.
Once things become more normal with cell membranes allowing easy passage of glucose either way then normality of blood glucose levels becomes the usual state.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a feeling there are T2 issues not fully understood yet.
Me too. I particularly think that carbs and exercise and other metabolic processes don't reset daily, or run to a 24 hour schedule

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
You could get any result from almost no further reduction to being right back to non-diabetic range (<42) in that time frame depending on how well you manage your carb consumption vs meter results.

Metformin- what will you bother you more in September, (a) having a low, successful test result and thinking you didn't need that extra tablet after all; or (b) getting a result higher than you'd hoped to see, and feeling regrets you should have done more to get it down sooner including that one extra tablet each day?

Reactions: oldgreymare

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could get any result from almost no further reduction to being right back to non-diabetic range (<42) in that time frame depending on how well you manage your carb consumption vs meter results.

Metformin- what will you bother you more in September, (a) having a low, successful test result and thinking you didn't need that extra tablet after all; or (b) getting a result higher than you'd hoped to see, and feeling regrets you should have done more to get it down sooner including that one extra tablet each day?

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Understood.

However, To be honest this is causing me much distress. I only started taking 1000mg around 6 weeks and at start of May started to experienced muscle aches and twitches and a drop in my resting heart rate and am now starting to wonder if this is Metformin/Thyroid related. Had a B12 boost and Vitamin D boosters but not really helping. My DN wants me. to revert to 1500 but scared more than ever. My muscles twitch and shake and have started ti have negative thoughts combined with fatigue.I even cancelled my birthday as I was in such a low mood. I though Metformin could only integer with gastric but seriously concerned now it could be causing other symptoms.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At 17 stone, that could be quite bad for your joints. Walking is better - walk up hills if you want more of a work-out. Of course if you walk up you have to walk down as well, which has the benefit of being eccentric exercise - you are lengthening the muscles under load and applying a braking force. This is in contrast to uphill walking, which is concentric exercise, shortening the muscles during contraction. However it also jolts the joints, so if you can, aim to walk up the steep way and down the less steep way.

Also cycling, rowing, swimming & weights are all forms of exercise that are much easier on the joints.
I joined a gym years ago and my husband ran half and full marathons (thin as a rake no matter what he ate!) The gym instructor and the ‘Running‘ magazines my husband got said no running if you’re 24 lbs or more overweight. Walking, concentrating on technique and as CatsFive says cycling, and swimming would be a good alternative.
Depending on what you ate for dinner or evening snack could have an effect on the feeling of hypos. If it’s been quite heaving in carbs they BG will go up and then crash making you feel strange. If I feel like this (not often since being keto) I grab a slice of Emmental or a hard boiled egg (always have them prepared in the fridge) neither of which will affect your BG.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatsFive