Newbie prediabetic

Benita_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
"Yes" lm new on this forum diagnosis recently. Alot to take in a few weeks. Thing have started to get better since treatment but still alot to mentally absorb. Earlier this month I attended a seminar and l was told l'm unfit and overweight and needed to do more exercise. Wow that one way of someone telling you to change your life style. Some people have heridarity diabetes and have fought it all their lives. I'm a active person until a injury stop me, my weight is under control and has been for 12 months without medical intervention. The seminar gave me the incentive not to go back.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Reactions: Benita_

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Benita_ .. and welcome

You have made a good move coming here. Since joining this forum the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need .. in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I have tagged @daisy1 for you and I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

For testing, try the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter or: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can manage them
Hope this helps

Reactions: Benita_ and Prem51

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. List of good advice available here.

Welcome to the journey :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Benita_ Welcome to the Forum :) On your other thread I have posted the Basic Information for new members for you and you will also find the link to this, and to the Low Carb Program in my signature below. Ask questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Benita_ and welcome to the forum. It is a lot to take in, but keep reading the forum and ask any questions you want to, the people on here are friendly and supportive, and you will get your head around it.
A lot of us on here have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate bHigh Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has reduced our blood sugar levels, and often weight too. Exercise can help but it is what you eat which is more effective.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
"Yes" lm new on this forum diagnosis recently. Alot to take in a few weeks. Thing have started to get better since treatment but still alot to mentally absorb. Earlier this month I attended a seminar and l was told l'm unfit and overweight and needed to do more exercise. Wow that one way of someone telling you to change your life style. Some people have heridarity diabetes and have fought it all their lives. I'm a active person until a injury stop me, my weight is under control and has been for 12 months without medical intervention. The seminar gave me the incentive not to go back.
Welcome to the forum. It appears a lot to take in, but relax, you don't have to do it alone. The forum is here to assist where possible. This is a team effort. Remember....there is no 'I' in 'TEAM'.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Always so many negative assumptions - which is why a danced all the way back to the car after my last diabetes 'education' session - the pair standing up and pontificating were unable to explain my results and pointedly ignored my explanation of just how I achieved them.
I just felt sorry for the people who were really struggling to obey the instructions given.
I do exercise more, but that is because I want to and I can, not as part of the hopeless struggle against a progressive illness I chose not to strengthen with carbohydrates.