FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly!
Hi All,

Came across this forum, because I was looking for information on Metformin and whether I should give in to my GP, who is pressurising me to go on it! :evil:

Basically was diagnosed in Jan 06' following, a trial blood test to do with insulin resistance and it's relation in pregnancy / recurrent miscarriages. A follow up test confirmed it. Both my mother and brother have Type II.

Since then I have been up and down with my lifestyle changes - when I'm good, the BG levels are good and when I'm not, they are bad! No surprise there then!

I am fully aware of the long term damage I am doing, by not controlling my diet and not exercising, but I just cannot find that willpower I have had in the past, that has helped me lose the weight/exercise regularly and thus bringing my BG levels down naturally again - have had several emotional nightmares in my life that haven't helped - recurrent miscarriage (non diabetes related), redundancies to name but 2!

Emotional support for those needing help with weight loss and exercise doesn't seem to be of a priority for the NHS!

Sorry for the moan! Just getting very despondent with it all!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi FelineFan and welcome to the forum

I have read both your posts and poor you, you really do seem to have been through the mill. :(

You are right that you need to find your will power again before you will ever get to grips with all this and hopefully by browsing the various threads you will become enthused and decide to do it for yourself. Perhaps you need to list the pros and cons of continuing your current lifestyle and another list of the benefits of changing things before you will see reasons for taking charge of your life – and you have to be really honest!

Clearly you can take charge and have already proved to yourself that you can or you wouldn’t have said the bit about when you are good your BG levels are good! You could start by setting small goals and small rewards for achieving them and make the rewards something you can really enjoy even if those rewards are simple, cheap or free.

I think you need to decide to be good to yourself and that will help you to get past all the mourning that you have been doing and all the emotional turmoil you have had. You say you need emotional support so do you have understanding friends or family at hand, who you can be really honest with, and who will give you the support you clearly need? Sometimes we don’t realise we are pushing friends and family away because we feel so rubbish that we can’t connect with them, so they really need to know you want their help and that you will welcome their input into your life.

Why are you fighting the medication so hard? Your doctor may genuinely think that you need that help. What are your numbers and what are you eating – tell us more.

Anyway, consider yourself hugged and I look forward to hearing how you get on. :)

There are many caring people on this forum and there is always someone around to answer questions.

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Synonym,

Thank you for your response.

To answer your Q, as to why I'm fighting the meds, is because, having read the other posts here and the net in general, until I change my lifestyle, i.e. eating habits / exercise permenantly, then going on Met won't make a diff to my levels :?:

My levels are on average 12 (don't check them that regularly :oops: as a consequence of eating what ever I want / feel like, which is normally junk, high carbs, sweets/choc and too much of it! And like my wine!

Just wish there was a magic willpower switch!! Maybe when the weather improves, lighter evenings etc, that may help!

Thanks again

Synonym

Dislikes
Hi Felinefan
Good to have you come back! :D

Judging by your response the medication would appear to be the main issue. You are making a judgement on the efficacy of the medication offered by the doctor based on the posts on this web site? :shock: Good they are, but perhaps a balance might be good? :roll:

You might try standing this on its head and think about it from the doctor’s point of view.
He is offering some medication to help reduce BG levels and his patient has refused. His patient wants to try diet and exercise but nothing is happening. Now what do you think his reaction will be? He wants to help because he sees the need but the patient won’t take the help. I don’t think that he will push it and could lose interest. I think you need to keep your medical team on side and working with you.

Consider accepting the medication and if you have no-one else to talk to consider asking for counselling too. At the same time start to get your eating under control so that the doctor knows you are doing your bit too. At an average of 12 you need to get a handle on this and so you need a two front swipe at it. :shock:

Clear out the stuff you shouldn’t be eating and plan your meals for the week and make sure you have the good ingredients in the cupboard. That means remove the temptation and make a plan. 8)

You have done enough self tests to know you need to do this or you wouldn’t have posted on here would you? I am afraid that there is no magic switch but you have done it before, you can do it again and you don't need magic just to love yourself a little.

Have a go at changing at least one thing today and another tomorrow and let us hear about it tomorrow. I am looking forward to hearing what that might be and will be looking out for your next post. :D

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Hi and welcome from me too . I`m guessing that you really do want to change things because you came back on here ! I know its tough , sometimes its just horrible but as Synonym says , just making small changes can make such a big difference, dont be too ambitious at first or you will get fed up ! Keep coming back please ?

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well what a difference a couple of months can make!

I finally snapped out of my dark mood and faced up to my denial of my Type II Diabetes - even though I'd been diagnosed since 2004, (I'd always thought it was 2006!) Went and got my bloods and urine done a couple of weeks ago, following a "Diabetic MOT" request from my GP. I'd also had a letter, following my yearly routine retinal eye scan, saying I had mild (background) retinopathy :(

Went for the MOT results this week and although not fantastic, not as bad as expected! My GP was great, really helpful and supportive and I have now relented and am now on Metformin - currently on 500mg a day working up to 1500mg a day in 2-3 weeks time. I go back to see her in 6 weeks time, to follow up and see how I’m doing.

It's obviously early days, but I feel a lot more positive about things and determined to turn things around, esp as regards diet and exercise.

Thanks for all the support shown here :)

Synonym

Dislikes
Hello again Felinefan. :)

Been away on a short holiday so am now busy catching up with everything.

If you can get yourself along to a gym or an exercise class of some kind or a swimming pool you may well find that will help you. Get a friend to join in with you and you will find that will keep you going and also be more fun.

Really glad to hear that things are looking up for you and will be interested to hear how you get on with your next follow up appointment. :D