Newbie Type 2 and facing surgery

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im a recently diagnosed type 2 and im not sure my bs are under control though ive been trying hard, I also have chronic asthma imfacing surgery on friday and im so scared of possible complications

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
My first advice would be to purchase yourself a cheap blood sugar monitor and test yourself to give an idea of how your blood sugar is behaving.

I am presuming that the surgeon and their team know you are diabetic ?. Some surgeons demand a certain blood sugar level before they will operate (I have been in that boat before, been too high, had operation cancelled but will finally have mine on 5th April) and I would expect any potential complications would be explained to you in the light of your diabetes.

The third thing is, and I know this is difficult, is try not to get too stressed. Stress affects our levels so anything you can do to distract yourself is good. Read a book or listen to music, walk, paint...anything that makes you calm. Its okay to be nervous but the risk of complications are always kept to the bare minimum so try and think positive thoughts.

I am sure everything will go just fine. Good Luck.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first advice would be to purchase yourself a cheap blood sugar monitor and test yourself to give an idea of how your blood sugar is behaving.

I am presuming that the surgeon and their team know you are diabetic ?. Some surgeons demand a certain blood sugar level before they will operate (I have been in that boat before, been too high, had operation cancelled but will finally have mine on 5th April) and I would expect any potential complications would be explained to you in the light of your diabetes.

The third thing is, and I know this is difficult, is try not to get too stressed. Stress affects our levels so anything you can do to distract yourself is good. Read a book or listen to music, walk, paint...anything that makes you calm. Its okay to be nervous but the risk of complications are always kept to the bare minimum so try and think positive thoughts.

thankyou for your kind words i am trying

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thankyou ive had a stomach bug so surgery is delayed until 8 april taken your advice and purchased a monitor and its helping, still working on the stress though lol

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou ive had a stomach bug so surgery is delayed until 8 april taken your advice and purchased a monitor and its helping, still working on the stress though lol
remember that feeling stressed and nervous in this situation is perfectly normal. It would be odd it you werent. Remember to take slow, deep breaths when you feel especially stressed. it helps calm your body down.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Stress is an issue that I deal with daily.

Try and distract yourself if you can. Sorry to hear about the bug but at least it’s not a long delay.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
remember that feeling stressed and nervous in this situation is perfectly normal. It would be odd it you werent. Remember to take slow, deep breaths when you feel especially stressed. it helps calm your body down.
Thanks im just very worried about the surgery partly because im asthmatic as well and had pneumonia last year and my lungs are about as good as they are gonna get which is not great and the recent diabetes diagnosis just super stressing .but thanks for your kind words much appreciated

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The main concern that the doctors have when a diabetic is having an operation is that their BGs don't go too low while they are nil by mouth. As you aren't on insulin this shouldn't be a problem and if BGs are raised for a bit due to stress then they will settle down aftetwards.

Let us know how you get on.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress is an issue that I deal with daily.

Try and distract yourself if you can. Sorry to hear about the bug but at least it’s not a long delay.
yes i will thanks im just like everyone else i suppose we all seem to get a combination of things that get on top of us. Just living the dream lol . Joking apart suffering from stress is awful it effects everything i dont know how people cope really dont.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The main concern that the doctors have when a diabetic is having an operation is that their BGs don't go too low while they are nil by mouth. As you aren't on insulin this shouldn't be a problem and if BGs are raised for a bit due to stress then they will settle down aftetwards.

Thanks for advice and yes i will

Reactions: Patrick66

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

will do thankyou

Reactions: Patrick66