Newbie Type2 needs advice

Peckj02

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed type 2 in September after being pre diabetic for 7 yrs after having gestational diabetes. I'm on 1000mg metformin in the morning and 1000mg in the evening. I've also just been put on statins for raised cholesterol too.
My problem is that I'm not managing my food choices at all. Because I don't feel unwell I'm finding it difficult to stop myself eating the foods which are not going to do me much good in the long run.
I have finally managed to get some test strips today and know that checking my BS should help me stay in control, but as they are so ridiculously expensive I would really appreciate any advice on the best times to test so I am not wasting strips.
Hope that all makes sense, lol x

Reactions: Liam1955

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Peckj02, I'm a newbie too, diagnosed on 30 September whilst attending a prediabetes forum. Oops. too late. There is an amazing amount of help and support on these forums, the people are informative and very friendly, so I think you're in the fight place. @daisy1 will post you a welcome message (if I've done this right, my first attempt at this) this might be the first time the Low Carb, High Fat programme has been mentioned to you. A bit odd to start with but after four weeks I can honestly say I' a convert. Lots of other more experienced member will help you further, but my advice is do some research and try the programme.

Welcome, and good luck:happy:

Reactions: Prem51

Chrisle68

Hi and welcome Peckj02
What is a good cheap machine is a sd biosensor can be got on ebay and other sites But the strips are cheaper 50 for 6.99 If you buy in bulk still cheaper Hope this helps
Chris

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Peckj02

Hello and welcome to the forum :) To keep your levels down you need to restrict carbs. Here in this basic information we give to new members is a lot of advice about carbs. Also it contains a link to the Low Carb Program which you might like to try. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. Great advice as always from @daisy1 this really helped me when I was diagnosed.

Thought I would give you some of my tips, I know it's hard on diagnosis to make sense of this all ...

- try to read as much as you can and understand diabetes. I had no knowledge of it on diagnosis, getting educated really helped me
- you can't fix it in a day, but you can start to make changes now that over time will help
- Diet Doctor is a great site if you choose to follow a low carb high (moderately!) fat diet
- online grocery shopping helped me, the weekly delivery of 'good' stuff means no trips to the supermarket where I either get depressed about things I can't eat, or tempted by snacks
- become active on the forum, the support here is beyond amazing and I feel I'm at home among friends
- many people use the SD Codefree meter, strips are around 13p each with discount codes featured on here. Record your FBG (fasting blood glucose taken when you wake up) on the type II thread for this. Learn to test 2 hours after your meals - it will help you understand how food is affecting you
- remember we are all different, we all have to find our own way and work out what is good for us - some folks love porridge, it ruins my BG :(
- finally, try and remember it's not a death sentence, many many people here many their diabetes with just exercise and diet - if they can do it so can you!

Best of luck :)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Peckj02
I bought the sdcodefree meter as it has the cheapest test strips.
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/
"Our replacement strips are just £7.69 for 50 strips"
Discount codes if you buy in bulk - I think it's the same discount for either.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
You do need to say you're diabetic, no VAT and in UK we use mmol/L

I had been given a meter and test strips on prescription but then when I was considered well controlled I was told I only needed to do a couple of spot checks a weeks so looked for cheaper options. These test strips are about a third of the price of the ones I had been using. I found testing before a meal and 2 hours after helped me with my food choices.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Strips are cheaper online and you can avoid VAT. Changing your diet is not easy but when in the supermarkets just accept the fact that most of the food is high carb and/or junk and get to know the good food. Read all the labels and look for lower Total Carbs.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here Peckj02 :)

it is a very overwhelming condition to get and it is also very much one has to learn and to change... and most get a terrible chock from getting that message..

I felt so much selfpitty in the beginning, but soon came to the conclusion that I had to change as much as possible to get a good long life....
The first thing I did was to buy for 60 £ of a kind of liquerice that I was allowed to eat...
And later I bought 3 kgs of brazil-nuts from Bulkpower in the UK so I always have something to eat if I want to "comfort eat" and 50 packets of sugarfree gums and 2 kg peanuts and so on... I eat a lot of blueberries and sometimes rasberries.... and fresh coconut

everyone reacts different...

but I think it is contructive to collect foods you like and that is allowed to eat and learn to make som of the cakes that is low carb and so on... so that you always have somthing good that is allowed at home to eat.

I don´t know how your condition is, but some good can sometimes come out of it, in my case I am happy to have in the end gotten myself together to loose my overweight and to get started now again to do some fitness.. which I couldn´t in the beginning, I was far too fat, so I started walking every day like 4 kilometers, somtimes only every other day but in a month is was not anylonger as hard, and long walks is very healthy for diabetic type 2especially after meals...

Last edited:

Peckj02

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice. I'll definitely be looking at the sd meter!
I guess it will take a little time to get my head round certain things but I'm feeling a lot more confident.
This forum has definitely helped and I'll make sure to mention it to the nurse next appointment.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Don't forget - someone will always answer if you have any problems - just post a question. @Peckj02