Newbie - very worried about my husband

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, just posting hear on the new members section before I go and explore the rest of the boards.

My husband is 42, and over Christmas started with symptoms of excessive drinking and weeing. By last week we realised that he had lost a lot of weight (2 1/2 stones) - and he had gone from being a muscley sort of chap to - well , the muscles had just gone.

He went to the GP on Monday - sugar of 20, and was told he had typpe 2 diabetes. Had a fasting sugar on Tuesday and went to work - that came back as 19. BAck to the GP yesterday - found ketone - now he's in hospital on a insulin drip. I'm so scared.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Polgara,
I can quite understand that it's a worrying time for you. The good thing is that he is in hospital getting his levels sorted out properly, his GP acted quickly rather than treating him inappropriatley. (I've read far too many cases when this hasn't happened)
I was in your husbands situation 5 years ago, actually my diabetes turned out to be a form of type 1 not type 2. I was scared and worried for my future (and I'm sure it was just as bad for my OH). Fourteen months later I completed a marathon, since then I've had a full and active life . Properly controlled diabetes should'nt limit a persons activities and is if anything a spur to a healthy lifestyle.
I've found knowledge about my condition very important in gaining good control. Joining various diabetes forums was the key to to this so you've taken a good step joining one!
When he leaves hospital it will undoubtably be a bit scary at first, but this feeling does wear off. :)

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
THis whole type 1/2 things has me mixed up. - The hospital aren't comiting yet as to which sort it is :(

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
As a newbie myself I know what you are both going through.

Due to your husbands age it is most likely to be T2, but it could be T1 (confusing I know).

As a middle aged guy myself I see my recent diagnosis as a wake up call. To be blunt I'd much rather have the proverbial kick up the behind by diabetes than have a heart attack, which I'm sure I was heading for.

Your husband is in the best place and I'm sure he is in good hands. With proper diet , exercise and a good GP/diabetic nurse I'm sure he will soon have his blood sugars under control.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi,
similar story to mine,
at age 34 got unwell quick, had test done at chemist and was around 15mmol, was thought to have type 2 and waiting 10 days for gtt, in the meantime i got iller and iller and tested my blood to find i was 28mmol was admitted to hosp with high ketones and put on a drip,
i was found to be type 1
anything i can help with just ask :D