Newbie with MS

Sharooki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone
I have just been told I am diabetic. I also have MS and am a full time wheelchair user. I have a visit with the nurse on 21st Nov. I have no idea what to eat or how I’m going to be able to manage this on top of everything else. I don’t know what type I have yet but I’m worried about taking Metformin because of the side effects, mainly because I can’t get to the loo myself(sorry if it’s tmi). I’m a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sharooki and welcome! Do you know your blood test results in detail? You’ve probably had what’s called an HbA1c test done, you need to ask what level it was so you know what you’re dealing with. A lot of people manage to lower their levels using diet alone, so if your nurse is understanding of your worries she may agree to this. Although having said that no one can insist you take drugs. A low carbohydrate diet may be something to try. I started by keeping to less than 100g/day, then after six weeks reduced it to between 50-70g/day. I do take Metformin which helped me get my numbers down quickly, but it can be achieved without drugs, it’ll probably just take a bit longer.

Reactions: Sharooki

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome yes it is overwhelming to be told you have diabetes and you do have to learn how to control it but that does take time it doesn't happen overnight and it is mostly done by diet but it can be done so don't loose heart.
A lot here will tell you they do the low carb high fat diet but that does not suit everyone especially as other medical problems and medication may be a factor in what you do. You really should speak to you doctor and nurse to see if it would be suitable for you ...if you wanted to do it...but it is not the recommended diet by the NHS and probably not what your nurse will advise. At the end of the day we all have to do what suits us personally not do something just because others do it.

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here Sharooki , it is a lot you have to fight with it seems..when it comes to type 2 diabetes there are some kinds of foods one can eat a lot of, like meat, fish and eggs and olives and most nuts, pork scratchings, cheese full-fat yoghurts the greek kind

you can eat a lot of some foods that contain very little amounts of carbs like tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini , and most vegs grown over ground except corn though

there are a lot of foods one should try to totally avoid, like of cause sugar, white bread, rice, all sugary drinks like cola and other kinds ...beer and bread, potatoes

as bread substitute one can use the LIDL protein rolls that contain very little amounts of carbs..
well shortly said ALL CARBS RAISE BLOOD GLUCOSE,.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome. You have an awful lot to cope with. My uncle also has both conditions and has lived with them for many years.

There is a lot of information on this site. Have a good read and then come back with questions. I have totally changed how I view food and diabetes, and it has been a bumpy journey at times. But the support on here is great and everybody will help if we can.
keep posting.

skipchaser_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys n girls , ive lived with type 1 for 24 years and just lately found out i have MS which i believe has taken many years to rear its head , i have been waiting for months to see the consultant and to have treatment , my diabetes has been a roller coaster over the years , was put on metformin at one stage but did make me loose a ton of weight , so had to get off it , yes get for the people who want to loose weight i guess but didn't do me no favours ... i was drawn out and as much as i need to loose some from my belly at least by the time my belly had got to go down it was the last place i lost it ..
My HB1AC has been up and down last few years but i believe the MS has an effect on it all or does it ??? i don't know ... answers on a post card please !!!!!
Does inflammation effect blood sugars ??

keep it real ,

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I read a snippet recently saying that a LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) diet may be helpful to those with MS. I can't remember the details but it is worth doing your reseach before embarking on any change in lifestyle.
I am a wheelchair user so I was a bit dubious about the Metformin Tummy that some people suffer, I had no such problems luckily. My advice would be to do some reading and then do some more, the knowledge will help you to make the decisions that you alone must make. Ask any questions that come to mind. Best wishes.

skipchaser_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks bluetit1802 , ive been off work for 5 months waiting for the consultant to do my appointment so i can get meds to hopefully make the thunder headaches go away and the unbalance , basically just want to get on with my life !!! and strangely as it sounds get back to work !!! bills don't pay for themselves !

As i can't walk that far without feeling im going to fall over or collapse its hard to even get a bit of exercise and as MS warriors know fatigue is a big part of this ... so i think my hb1ac is going up ...we will see as have bloods this week for diabetic nurse in beginning of dec , bet she will have a nag at me .... lol

To be honest i have been to the GP and they won't give me anything for my symptom as im waiting for this appointment with the neuro consultant ... so life is on hold at the moment ..

How long did anyone have to wait for the MS meds to kick in ??? ..as its so tiring at the moment ...

we plod on !!

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
off topic make sure you put in a claim for pip. sounds like you may qualify.