Maxine1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been officially been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this week. This is steroid induced diabetes. I was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell Arteritis in Sept last year and was put onto Prednisolone and since then my numbers have been creeping up. My last blood test last week my HbA1c was 50. I’m to have another blood test at the end of the this month and GP will decide what medication I’m to be put on. Before steroids I’d never had an issue with blood sugars. I’m going to be on Prednisolone for at least a couple of years. So I guess this is the start of my diabetes journey.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Maxine1961 and welcome to the forums.

That does seem very unlucky that the steroids you need for one condition have landed you with a new issue, but you are on the low end of the diabetes scale so I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some dietary changes might push you out of the diabetes zone.

I'll leave the dietary advice to the T2 posters but depending on what your diet is like now you may find that you have some scope to make helpful changes. (Reducing carbs may help).

Good luck and once more welcome

Reactions: filly