1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newby

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Mona2060, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Mona2060

Mona2060 Type 1 · Member

Hi all

My 10 year old son has recently been diagnosed with type 1 and it's been difficult to get our heads round it I am learning all the time but I still get things wrong please tell me it's normal

• Hug Hug x 4
  2. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Depends what you mean by getting things wrong?

3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Mona2060 Welcome to the forum :). Yes there’s a lot to take it but it does get easier in time, what are you struggling with ?

4. Mona2060

Mona2060 Type 1 · Member

I have one question at lunch times my son is usually 3.9 to 4.9 I know the guidelines say this is a hypo situation but he knows when he is hypo and does tell me when he us feeling this way

The question I have is what should I do should I get his BSG to normal levels retest after 15 mins and then let him take his usual dose of insulin? Or should I just let him have his meal and get him to blood test after 2 hours to see?

Please advice

5. Mona2060

Mona2060 Type 1 · Member

6. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A hypo isn't determined by whether a diabetic feels it or not. It is determined be the number shown on the blood sugar monitor. It that number is under 4 then it is hypo whether or not the person being tested can feel it.

In that case then yes, blood sugar should be treated and retested in 10-15 min, if back to normal insulin should be taken as normal.

7. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Treat the low and then eat as normal. His lunch will take too long to hit the blood stream and he will go even lower. He will enjoy the lunch more. Perhaps he needs a small snack an hour before lunch to keep him in range. Maybe around playtime when at school. A small piece of fruit that will keep him going. Also it will help with his concentration in that lesson before lunch as going low will impair his brain.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook