Newby

Mona2060

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

My 10 year old son has recently been diagnosed with type 1 and it's been difficult to get our heads round it I am learning all the time but I still get things wrong please tell me it's normal

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

My 10 year old son has recently been diagnosed with type 1 and it's been difficult to get our heads round it I am learning all the time but I still get things wrong please tell me it's normal

Depends what you mean by getting things wrong?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Mona2060 Welcome to the forum :). Yes there’s a lot to take it but it does get easier in time, what are you struggling with ?

Mona2060

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have one question at lunch times my son is usually 3.9 to 4.9 I know the guidelines say this is a hypo situation but he knows when he is hypo and does tell me when he us feeling this way

The question I have is what should I do should I get his BSG to normal levels retest after 15 mins and then let him take his usual dose of insulin? Or should I just let him have his meal and get him to blood test after 2 hours to see?

Please advice

Mona2060

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have one question at lunch times my son is usually 3.9 to 4.9 I know the guidelines say this is a hypo situation but he knows when he is hypo and does tell me when he us feeling this way

The question I have is what should I do should I get his BSG to normal levels retest after 15 mins and then let him take his usual dose of insulin? Or should I just let him have his meal and get him to blood test after 2 hours to see?

Please advice

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Please advice

A hypo isn't determined by whether a diabetic feels it or not. It is determined be the number shown on the blood sugar monitor. It that number is under 4 then it is hypo whether or not the person being tested can feel it.

In that case then yes, blood sugar should be treated and retested in 10-15 min, if back to normal insulin should be taken as normal.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Treat the low and then eat as normal. His lunch will take too long to hit the blood stream and he will go even lower. He will enjoy the lunch more. Perhaps he needs a small snack an hour before lunch to keep him in range. Maybe around playtime when at school. A small piece of fruit that will keep him going. Also it will help with his concentration in that lesson before lunch as going low will impair his brain.