Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@brettsza - I find it curious you chose to "like" my post, as some of it; the weightless/stature, and considering the "what if" it doesn't work equally apply to you.

Perhaps I have been more subtle in my messaging to you.
The reason I like it is as there is no button to say thanks for what you say and I agree to it but then I did gain weight on lchf so if it doesn't work for me i can always fall back on it. Every body is different, I can gain weight even on water and air :) so it's ok.

Lyndylou58

I've just printed off the Newcastle diet recipe book but I have no info on how long to be on diet, how many cal to have, how many snacks to have , anybody have any info on where I can get help , thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Day 15. Weight has now dropped 5.6kg (BMI now 24.9). Fasting blood slightly elevated from yesterday - up to 6.2.

Still feeling good - not hungry.

Reactions: 4 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just printed off the Newcastle diet recipe book but I have no info on how long to be on diet, how many cal to have, how many snacks to have , anybody have any info on where I can get help , thanks

Snacks ? No, its not that kind of diet :)

If you need a snack have a glass of water - thats about your limit

I suppose you could split your 200 grams of above ground greens through the day, but I perefer to have an evening meal, albeit tiny

I've posted a thread elsewhere about the carbs & calories in veg - if you have 200 grams of above ground greens, your calories will be limited anyway so I souldn't worry about it

If you're looking for a diet where you can have snacks & treats throughout the day then the Newcastle isn't for you - like I say, your only choice for these is another glass of water :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 11. Back on track. Weight is now down 4.6kg. Fasting blood average for the week is 5.7. Still a little high, but I am sure it has something to do with the dawn phenomenon. Which raises the question - why? So I might try changing the timing of my last calorie intake of the day. Another thing I could try is moving the veg supplement to lunch time - but that is difficult while I am working. It's tricky to get the balance right. Good news - BMI is now 25.1. I'm so close to being classified as 'normal'!
Insulin production on Newcastle Diet didn't start to pick up until week four, and peripheral insulin resistance never really improved, so baseline improvement in fasting BG will be slow in coming. Your beta cells are just now starting to sluggishly wake up, but your cells are still stubborn when it comes to using that insulin correctly. Be patient :)

Reactions: 5 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 16. No more weight loss - but fasting blood was down to 5.2. Felt a little dizzy yesterday - so drank plenty of water. Feeling fine now.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Made a fantastic cauliflower soup last night. Cut up 200gm cauliflower, lightly coated it with curry powder (2 tspns) popped it on a tray and into the oven at 180 for 20 minutes. Sweated down a shallot, then added 4 cloves of crushed garlic. Got it to a caramalised stage, then added 300ml veg stock (water and 1/2 veg stock cube - but home made would have been better) - added the roasted cauliflower - blitzed it down. Added garlic salt to taste. Yum! Still tasting it now!

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5 weeks up and total weight lost now is 16 kilos. Really struggling with the sweetness of shakes now, I add coffee to them to make them less sweet but nothing seems to be working now.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
HI Brettsza

I'm finding the same thing. Also have had a buttery taste on my tongue for the past couple of days which is making everything taste odd. Hope someone can suggest something.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That taste stays unfortunately, you could use some gum or I just have black coffee and that sort of keeps it in check but then I cant keep having black coffee all day either, so I am living with it at the moment.

Alpaca

So fasting BG reading was 4 this morning and 5.2 a couple of hours after shake, I've been so obsessed with reducing the reading it's strange that my first thought on seeing the 4 reading was that I better eat something so it didn't go much lower!! I am however feeling very fit and healthy so this regime is definitely worth persevering with.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So fasting BG reading was 4 this morning and 5.2 a couple of hours after shake, I've been so obsessed with reducing the reading it's strange that my first thought on seeing the 4 reading was that I better eat something so it didn't go much lower!! I am however feeling very fit and healthy so this regime is definitely worth persevering with.
I don't know what my readings go down to as I only check at sort of fixed times on weekdays and random times on weekend, I don't really get into 5's anymore but having said that I have not seen a reading of 3's either but 4.1 is the lowest I have senn and normally fluctuations between 4.2 and 4.7ish. I also did one and 2 hour after shake and they stay in 4's toafter two hours. At one hour they could go to 5.1 or 5.2 which is interesting as the shakes are so sweet.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI Brettsza

I'm finding the same thing. Also have had a buttery taste on my tongue for the past couple of days which is making everything taste odd. Hope someone can suggest something.
Peppermint tea, and for some of your water consumption use sparkling mineral water. Clean teeth after every shake you drink, and brush tongue gently too.

Alpaca

I don't know what my readings go down to as I only check at sort of fixed times on weekdays and random times on weekend, I don't really get into 5's anymore but having said that I have not seen a reading of 3's either but 4.1 is the lowest I have senn and normally fluctuations between 4.2 and 4.7ish. I also did one and 2 hour after shake and they stay in 4's toafter two hours. At one hour they could go to 5.1 or 5.2 which is interesting as the shakes are so sweet.
I'm going with the shakes but not every day, I prefer to know exactly what I'm eating and I have them only to be sure I'm getting all the nutrients I need. Somehow a powdered meal replacement feels very unhealthy and as you say very sweet. Still it's not for long.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going with the shakes but not every day, I prefer to know exactly what I'm eating and I have them only to be sure I'm getting all the nutrients I need. Somehow a powdered meal replacement feels very unhealthy and as you say very sweet. Still it's not for long.
You put into words exactly what has put me off the ND - I've spent the last 3 years eating minimally processed food with as few added ingredients as possible, so reading the contents of the Optifast shakes (we can buy them in pharmacies in Australia) absolutely turned my stomach. I've also put a lot of effort into my elimination diet to heal my digestion (still a work in progress), so messing it up with all those processed chemicals and fake vitamins really scares me. So for now I'm sticking to intermittent fasting and calorie controlled to try and reach my PFT. I'm so envious of the fast weight loss you NDers manage to achieve though.

Reactions: 7 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 16. Weight still plateaued. Still 24.9 BMI - weight loss since starting the ND 5.9 kg. But the best news - fasting blood was 4.2. I cant recall seeing 4's - ever!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You put into words exactly what has put me off the ND - I've spent the last 3 years eating minimally processed food with as few added ingredients as possible, so reading the contents of the Optifast shakes (we can buy them in pharmacies in Australia) absolutely turned my stomach. I've also put a lot of effort into my elimination diet to heal my digestion (still a work in progress), so messing it up with all those processed chemicals and fake vitamins really scares me. So for now I'm sticking to intermittent fasting and calorie controlled to try and reach my PFT. I'm so envious of the fast weight loss you NDers manage to achieve though.
I agree, wholeheartedly, @Indy51 . Artificial flavours, synthetic foods and such I would normally steer well clear of. The only way I have been able to justify in my mind the use of the meal replacement products is to see them as 'medicines'. As such I thought 'I have a chance of curing my chronic illness with chemicals just as my beloved mother had a chance to cure her chronic illness with chemo therapy'. It doesn't feel right to go against my usual stance of eating food with minimal processing, so I don't regard the shakes and processed meal replacements as foods. They are medicines.

The intermittent fasting and VLCD do work very well. I am in awe of anyone like yourself, and Andrew Colvin, (who has been very successful) who can gain control with real food. For anyone, like me, who had weighed more than twice their ideal weight, that process could have taken too long to achieve PFT, if ever achieved at all. So in my case I believe the rapid weight loss was the way to do it.

Reactions: 7 people

Alpaca

On reflection I can't in all honesty claim to be following the ND stringently. I'm following my own interpretation which is very much a VLCD, I'm hungry almost all the time. I have a shake every few days in the morning (for nutrients, I like the idea of calling it medicine @Pipp) but have home made smoothies or salad during the day. I eat more protein than on ND but virtually no carbohydrate and drink lots of water. The first few days were tricky and I didn't excercise for over a week as I felt quite strange. However, the weight is now dropping, I feel amazingly healthy and fit and have so much energy. Best of all my BG readings have dropped into normal ranges which feels like a real achievement. I love the feeling of taking control of my body, wish I had been this motivated a long time ago. This has been a wake up call for me, my mind has focussed and I feel very positive going forward. My downfall is definitely carbohydrate and I've always known it makes me feel less than brilliant to overeat and I'm cross with myself that it has taken this to shock me into action.

Your healthy diet @Indy51 is, I think the way to go forward, you say it's a work in progress, I think it has to become a new way of life. When I look at unhealthy food I now think about how much better I'm feeling without it. I know I'm going to lapse but hopefully keeping low BG is going to remain my top priority.