Newcastle Diet survivors - where are they now?

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
Hi I'm really interested in this approach, I just feel a bit scared off by the tesco version as it seems so much sugar! Maxitone do a version albeit pricey with 209cal, 16g protein, 20g carb of which sugars 9g, 6,4g fat, also contains vitamins and minerals, would this be suitable?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm really interested in this approach, I just feel a bit scared off by the tesco version as it seems so much sugar! Maxitone do a version albeit pricey with 209cal, 16g protein, 20g carb of which sugars 9g, 6,4g fat, also contains vitamins and minerals, would this be suitable?
Hello Sunday1980
I know nothing about maxitone.
I have had success with Lipotrim. Lost 30+kg and returned blood glucose to nondiabetic levels, almost 3 years ago.
I have been using ultraslim for almost 3weeks now, as I still have a lot of weight to lose.
There is more information on another thread 'newcastle diet advice'.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks very much pipp will take a look :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks very much pipp will take a look :)
Good luck with it. I weighed a lot more than 18 stone when I started, and only a bit less than that now, but there is so much we can do to help ourselves. The important thing is to find out what works for you personally, but there is usually someone else on the forum who has similar experiences to you and has found a solution.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi guys sorry for delay in replying and thanks for the comments, well I've started the newcastle diet again today, long slog ahead of me but I'm determined to do it again and this time am going to try a 5:2 maintenance eating plan after I've completed the two months.
My weight is 16st3lbs and want to get down to break the 13st barrier and see if I can maintain it, I think that will still enable me to be effective as a prop for my rugby team lol.
Your support and encouragement is needed as I know temptation will be high.
I will post every week with my weight as I know my sugars will drop dramatically on this diet.
Cheers
Craig

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
If you don't mind a fellow traveller joining your thread in support, I've been on the Newcastle diet since Tuesday and I'm astonished at the results.

My BG is now in the 5s each morning (it used to be higher 6s and 7s) and it stays low through the day. I've had the odd bout of tiredness, one episode of feeling cold and a headache all day on Day 2. Apart from that, and immense curiosity and comment from colleagues, friends and family ("ohhh... that's really severe!"), I've not had any particular problems.

I'd been toying with the idea for a while but things always seems to get in the way - dinners out, birthdays, etc. etc. Last weekend, I thought what the hell and decided to go for it. My GP, who's absolutely great, was with me, saying he couldn't see anything in any of my tests that should stand in my way, so I felt now was the time.

Oddly enough, I've not had the hunger that I'd expected, despite having the big appetite which got me into this mess in the first place. I'm using Tesco Ultraslim. (BTW, the Strawberry and Banana and Mango packs have much less carbohydrate in them than other flavours. There are 28.2g of carbs in the mango and the strawberry and banana -v- 47.7g in, for example, the vanilla, the difference being made up by protein) and stir-fried veg or vegetable soups for the evening meal. I am drinking at least 5 pints of water each day which has kept me perfectly regular, which had been one of my worries, beforehand).

So far, I've lost 9lb in 5 days; I feel good on it all - better in fact than I've felt for a while. I've still got plenty of energy and I'm sleeping very well.

The thing that's really astounded me though is that the pains I've been having in my hands and feet for a long while now have disappeared. They went on Day 2 and haven't been back since. I'd like to think that improvement is going to be sustained. It's by far the longest period of time I've been free of them, so I'm hopeful.

My big concern now is how to successfully walk the fine line between being obsessive, and a pain in the neck to everyone around me, or becoming bored and giving in to temptation. I keep telling myself that I've got to give it my very best try, no matter what, but the next 7 weeks are certainly going to be interesting.
Excellent results there keep at it think of the end game and the benefits to your health

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys sorry for delay in replying and thanks for the comments, well I've started the newcastle diet again today, long slog ahead of me but I'm determined to do it again and this time am going to try a 5:2 maintenance eating plan after I've completed the two months.
My weight is 16st3lbs and want to get down to break the 13st barrier and see if I can maintain it, I think that will still enable me to be effective as a prop for my rugby team lol.
I will post every week with my weight as I know my sugars will drop dramatically on this diet.
Cheers
Craig

Well done Geordie90

The first step is done now.
I found that making the intention public on the forum helped. I have been doing Newcasltle again just over 3 weeks. It seemed harder this time round at the start, but the support from forum members has been incredible, and I am well into it now. The weight loss has been slower than first time, but in the three weeks I have lost about 5kg. I have had stable, non-diabetic blood glucose since I first did Newcastle diet in September 2011. I do still have a lot of weight to lose, so will give Newcastle method a bit longer.

It will also be necessary for me to consider lifelong diet after Newcastle diet finishes. Will be using the next few weeks to read up, but most likely will use low carbohydrate, moderate fat.

There is another thread on the forum 'Newcastle diet advice' that I find supportive and get lots of advice and encouragement from others.
Best wishes
Pipp

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My weight is 16st3lbs and want to get down to break the 13st barrier and see if I can maintain it .....
Cheers
Craig
Way to go, Craig. It's an interesting journey, though not one I'd ever anticipated taking, and I'm finding it's got a few twists and turns to it.

If it helps others to anticipate what may be ahead, I've now done 21 days straight and lost 20lbs, which means I was 17st 5 on 12th May (which was well down from my previous weight on diagnosis last autumn, but I'm not counting that here), and this morning I was 15st 13. That's beginning to show in my face and my wife says my bum's disappeared (she has a wonderful way with words) and my trousers are now visibly 'baggy' in that area, even though I dropped down a size 2 weeks ago.

All that's good, and it's making me feel good, too, which really helps when you are tempted to eat something you shouldn't do or have more than the diet allows.

There is a downside, though: I feel tired more often than I used to, although that doesn't last too long. Likewise, I've started getting some pretty severe hunger pangs but they're soon over as well (they're a bit like the cravings I used to get when I gave up smoking), so I can cope with those. My colleagues are slowly becoming used to a loud rumbling tummy noises coming from my direction at various points during the day.

I've been a bit bunged-up, which is not at all like me. It's not uncomfortable, more disconcerting, but it's starting to worry me. Does anyone have any ideas of roughage I can eat without upsetting my calorie count? I'm drinking lots of water (at least 8 pints a day) but that can be very inconvenient when you travel during your work, and it's not prevented the problem so far, nor has the milled flax seed that was suggested on here a few days ago.

Last, though not least, I've developed a short temper. I've noticed it, and my wife's definitely noticed it, given its been mostly directed at her. I feel myself becoming impatient - often at the most trivial of things (e.g. "Why have you put xyz away? I was going it use it again in a minute.") - and then find myself letting fly. I instantly regret what I've said but I can see why Prof Taylor and the Newcastle Univ team say that support of your friends and family is so important.

I'm close to mirroring your present weight and targets, Craig, currently standing at 15st 13 and hoping to get to 14st by the time I've finished. That seems quite a way off, with the imminent possibility that I'll run out of old clothes to change down into, long before I get there.

Unfortunately, my wife chucked out my flares and corduroy trousers a long, long time ago. Pity that ......... :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Way to go, Craig. It's an interesting journey, though not one I'd ever anticipated taking, and I'm finding it's got a few twists and turns to it.

If it helps others to anticipate what may be ahead, I've now done 21 days straight and lost 20lbs, which means I was 17st 5 on 12th May (which was well down from my previous weight on diagnosis last autumn, but I'm not counting that here), and this morning I was 15st 13. That's beginning to show in my face and my wife says my bum's disappeared (she has a wonderful way with words) and my trousers are now visibly 'baggy' in that area, even though I dropped down a size 2 weeks ago.

All that's good, and it's making me feel good, too, which really helps when you are tempted to eat something you shouldn't do or have more than the diet allows.

There is a downside, though: I feel tired more often than I used to, although that doesn't last too long. Likewise, I've started getting some pretty severe hunger pangs but they're soon over as well (they're a bit like the cravings I used to get when I gave up smoking), so I can cope with those. My colleagues are slowly becoming used to a loud rumbling tummy noises coming from my direction at various points during the day.

I've been a bit bunged-up, which is not at all like me. It's not uncomfortable, more disconcerting, but it's starting to worry me. Does anyone have any ideas of roughage I can eat without upsetting my calorie count? I'm drinking lots of water (at least 8 pints a day) but that can be very inconvenient when you travel during your work, and it's not prevented the problem so far, nor has the milled linseed that was suggested on here a few days ago.

Last, though not least, I've developed a short temper. I've noticed it, and my wife's definitely noticed it, given its been mostly directed at her. I feel myself becoming impatient - often at the most trivial of things (e.g. "Why have you put xyz away? I was going it use it again in a minute.") - and then find myself letting fly. I instantly regret what I've said but I can see why Prof Taylor and the Newcastle Univ team say that support of your friends and family is so important.

I'm close to mirroring your present weight and targets, Craig, currently standing at 15st 13 and hoping to get to 14st by the time I've finished. That seems quite a way off, with the imminent possibility that I'll run out of old clothes to change down into, long before I get there.

Unfortunately, my wife chucked out my flares and corduroy trousers a long, long time ago. Pity that ......... :grumpy:

Hi2131tom

We started Newcastle around same time. I am 3 weeks 4 days into it. Envious of your weightloss. Both using Ultraslim. I used Lipotrim last time I did Newcastle. No food, just Lipotrim and water. It was a bit easier, because it was such strict discipline and I think the physiological response, ketosis, stops hunger pangs. I did not feel hungry at all after first two days on Lipotrim, but did need to add extra fibre and sometimes laxative medicines.

Newcastle with ultraslim is easier, though strangely I have felt some hunger.when I do feel hungry I chew someveg sticks. I try to space the meal replacement out. Something like this: drink 500mls water before I get up; have a cup of lemon and ginger tea about 8.30am; eat portabello mushroom with seasoning 10am with a drink of water; Ultraslim 11am; black coffee 12:30pm; water 1:30pm,; salad or soup 2:15pm; water through the afternoon; Ultraslim 4:00pm; baked vegetables, or stirfry 6:30pm, with water; Ultraslim 8:30pm; drink peppermint tea or sparkling mineral water in the evenings.

I think if I was bunged up, despite drinking plenty of water I would increase the vegetable consumption, making sure to eat the skins of the veg too. Celery is usually good to sort constipation. Though maybe the extra veg is a reason why my weight loss is slower than yours.

As for being impatient, not sure for you, but I would have struggled to do Newcastle diet while I was working. The curiosity of other people, and need to explain what I was doing would have annoyed me. It is amazing the number of people who can sabotage your efforts, even if they are not conscious of doing so. I explained only to the people I really care about that I may be irritable, and apologised in advance, but also after any niggling behaviour. Also, kept them informed about progress, and also reminded them they would benefit by what I was achieving.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'd up the olive oil on my veggies as well. Oil/fat helps with constipation, plus you're less likely to get gallstones. I remember Dr Bernstein talking about an experiment giving olive oil to patients trying to gain weight and it never worked - so I doubt if adding more would have much effect on your weight loss efforts. Coffee also helps some people with constipation (it also stimulates bile turnover).

Reactions: 6 people

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi guys thanks for support , second day only 58 more to go but strangely last night had a really sound sleep and didn't need the loo once lol which if I remember was the same as last time.
I'm hoping I can see out the two months I would really love to see my weight at around the 13.5 mark but maybe that's just a pipe dream lol.
I'll know when it's going well when I can get back into a shirt I bought the last time I did the diet lol.
I think secret is not to think about eating as hard as that might be. I'll keep you all posted about my progress but speaking from experience the benefits justify the short term sacrifice
:)

Reactions: 3 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I started this plan on Saturday using ultraslim shakes, to be honest I'm probably eating more than I was or it feels like it, had gone to only having a small meal in the evening as been feeling so unwell. Was worried about the shakes as they taste so nice they feel naughty! And the soup made in my morphy richards soup maker is 'souper' nom nom ! :facepalm:
Pleased to report so far that my bs levels of 14-16 have gone down to 7-9, even had a 5.9 had to check that one twice!!! Am taking extra vitamins anyways too.
Can't say I've felt any better yet tho, but felt so **** for so long I probably wouldn't notice anyways lol. Well only 4 days in but hoping it shows on the scales this week, am pleased at just getting my number s down so much already tbh, big incentive to continue.:angelic:

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Sunday 1980 don't expect too much too soon, you will feel much better in a short space of time that's the most important thing and the fact that your sugars are coming down so quickly. On a positive side I've lost three pounds in two days so onwards and upwards

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes indeed one day at a time :) well done sounds like you are doing great!
I struggle slightly of a late evening as one of my non diabetic tablets I take has the unfortunate side effect of giving you extreme 'munchies' about an hour after takin it, so I added in a small amount of chicken breast and that sorted that :) I haven't weighed since Saturday, been good resisting urge to peek as from experience dieting before can have a negative impact on my motivation personally, so looking forward to weigh in on Saturday, will post my results!

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arf it was going so well then I caved and got a takeaway :( burger, chips and garlic bread. Bs high now ofc and I feel poo, serves me right :depressed:

This is why I am in this mess, I seem to have zero will power, slightest bit of stress and I stuff my fat face :(

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An update for Brunneria who started the thread.
After 4 weeks:
I feel well, after first two days, when I felt cold and hungry. No digestive problems. Have increased exercise.
First two weeks weight loss total 5kg. Next two weeks only lost another half kg. mystified. Haven't tested blood glucose as it has been stable almost 3 years at below diabetic risk levels. Need to rethink diet. Will put more information on thread 'Newcastle diet advice'.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Arf it was going so well then I caved and got a takeaway :( burger, chips and garlic bread. Bs high now ofc and I feel poo, serves me right :depressed:

This is why I am in this mess, I seem to have zero will power, slightest bit of stress and I stuff my fat face :(
Oops. Can't undo that, but put it behind you and start again. If Newcastle is not for you though, plenty of other people have success with other methods.

Although, I draw your attention to programme ITV yesterday ' The Diabetes Epidemic'. Worth a look.

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes recorded that, gonna give it a watch over the weekend :)

Moondance

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I feel a bit cheeky being on here, but am on my sedond day of the Newcastle diet - am trying out the diet before I recommend it to patients, to see how you feel on it, and am also trying to reduce my risk of getting diabetes, as I have auto-immune disease and am overweight. My husband has type 2 diabetes, so although he is very dubious about such low calorie diets, and is refusing to try it himself, so hopefully this will inspire him as well!

Busy day in a minor injury unit on the first day of the diet yesterday, woke with a headache today, which I know is normal for the diet - does that last long?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel a bit cheeky being on here, but am on my sedond day of the Newcastle diet - am trying out the diet before I recommend it to patients, to see how you feel on it, and am also trying to reduce my risk of getting diabetes, as I have auto-immune disease and am overweight. My husband has type 2 diabetes, so although he is very dubious about such low calorie diets, and is refusing to try it himself, so hopefully this will inspire him as well!

Busy day in a minor injury unit on the first day of the diet yesterday, woke with a headache today, which I know is normal for the diet - does that last long?
Hi and welcome!

Have you ever checked your blood glucose to see if you might be prediabetic? I only ask because now would be a perfect time to add blood glucose records into your experience of the newky diet... The cheapest BG monitor that people talk about on this forum is the Codefree one, avail at Amazon or eBay. You can get up and running for £20 which is a fraction of normal costs.

Anyway, you are probably much more interested in your headache!

Yes, headaches and mood swings, and tiredness are a classic symptom of starting very low calorie diets - also of rapid weight loss and stopping high carb eating - also moving into ketosis.

And giving up coffee (we still have a dent in the kitchen wall from Mr B's first foray into a coffee less existence. The teacup shattered to fragments!)

The advice given is to drink more water - far more than you think you need.

And I would add to that, if it gets too bad, pop a painkiller - it really isn't worth the misery of a 3 day headache! They usually pass in a few days (3-5 as a rough guide) and then you start to feel much better.

How is it going? Hungry? Sleeping well? Energy levels?
Are you doing the teasp of oil and steamed veg portion to go with the sachets?